new member and new to foreign schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnconlin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to state side MD and DO medical schools, and was waitlisted. The reason provided was that i was late in applying. I took the MCAT before taking half of my sciences and got at 24, whic is not very good. However, i had a 3.39 science index and a 3.5 overall GPA. Also, i served in the marine corp. as a combat medic and have worked as paramedic w/ homeland security since getting out of the corp. in 2001. I have also published and preseneted medical research. I was wondering if i would be accepted into a caribbean med school? Also, I was curious about whether ER medicine is so competitive that i would have a problem getting a residency if i went to ross, SGU or Saba? Lastly, what extra exams must one take to be accepted in the states?

Members don't see this ad.

You should not have any problem with the better Carib schools.

ER is very much available to good Carib students.

As for extra hoops to get a license, you have to watch where you do clinical rotations and do more paperwork, but nothing serious if you are determined.

A military background is a positive thing, too.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Which schools would you suggest? What do you think of st. matthews, AUA and AUC? i want to practice in philadelphia, should this enter into which school i pick? from what i can see, they are all accredited.

Members don't see this ad :)
From my very unscientific observations and opinion, getting into an emergency medicine residency is very possible if you are coming from SGU or Ross (don't know about SABA). Do well academically, get involved in extracurriculars and leadership positions, do an EM rotation at a residency program, get along with everyone in the ED, basically make yourself stand out (in a good way) to separate yourself from the rest of the average med student. Do all this and plenty of interview invitations should come your way. With your experiences, you already have a head start. I got into what I would consider a top-notch urban EM program coming from Ross. Feel free to PM me.

No more extra exams for foreign/international med students.

Which schools would you suggest? What do you think of st. matthews, AUA and AUC? i want to practice in philadelphia, should this enter into which school i pick? from what i can see, they are all accredited.

Just to add the awdc's great post, I would recommend SGU, Ross and AUC as your first choice schools (although there is nothing wrong with Saba).

St. Matts and AUA should be your second choice only because only the four mentioned above are allowed to get licensed in all 50 states.

You should have no problem with Philly because many doctors have left PA due to malpractice insurance issues.

Your stats and background should give you access to the first choice schools.

reapply early next time around.. you will get in somewhere in the U.S. if you want, apply to the carib as a backup. best part about applying to carib schools is that the application is really fast and cheap!

hi all

for those looking for info about caribbean med schools and especially St. George's..check out www.valuemd.com

there's tons of info...and more ppl are viewing the pages...