1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice

New member needs advice badly!!!

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by wild4life, Jan 6, 2009.

1. wild4life

Non-Student
    Hi!
    I've joined this forum in hopes to obtain some objective, general and first hand advice from anyone that is kind enough to help:)
    I am planning on going back to school to study Nutrition Science with a focus on Dietetics.
    My question is, after much research and some contact with the school programs I am interested in, it seems that my best entry in is by starting as a post-baccalaureate student due to my Social Sciences and Hummanities background (BA Communications/Masters Political Science). HOWEVER, what is not clear for me is after obtaining the post-bac, is this the same as having a BS or is it merely just an entry way into the MS program?
    Also generally speaking, are pre-requisite science courses advised prior to applying as a post-bacc student or does it not make a difference since the science courses I need are a part of the post-bacc curriculum?

Thanks so much for any insight you can provide me on this!!

2. MAK1186

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    A post-bac is not the same as obtaining a BS. As you said, it serves as an entry into an MS (or MD, DO, DMD etc.) program.

In regards to the science pre-req courses you have two options. You can choose to do a post-bac that is designed for students who need to complete their pre-reqs (general biology, general/inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, physics and labs). Or you can do a post-bac designed for students who need to improve their academic record -- but most of these programs require the pre-reqs be completed before starting. That being said I would think you would fall into the case of the former.

Depending on what pre-reqs are required in order to apply for your Nutrition degree, you may even be able to just take those classes not in an official degree/certificate program. Hope this helps!

#2 MAK1186, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  3. Flushot

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The above is true. This forum is design for pre-professional programs, and from what I understand, you're interested in becoming a RD (registered dietician), correct?

I happen to know a little about this since I was a Nutrition major in undergrad and the majority of my classmates were going down this path. If you have specific questions, I guess you can PM me since there really isn't a place on SDN for RDs or Nutrition based careers.