New member needs advice badly!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wild4life

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I've joined this forum in hopes to obtain some objective, general and first hand advice from anyone that is kind enough to help:)
I am planning on going back to school to study Nutrition Science with a focus on Dietetics.
My question is, after much research and some contact with the school programs I am interested in, it seems that my best entry in is by starting as a post-baccalaureate student due to my Social Sciences and Hummanities background (BA Communications/Masters Political Science). HOWEVER, what is not clear for me is after obtaining the post-bac, is this the same as having a BS or is it merely just an entry way into the MS program?
Also generally speaking, are pre-requisite science courses advised prior to applying as a post-bacc student or does it not make a difference since the science courses I need are a part of the post-bacc curriculum?

Thanks so much for any insight you can provide me on this!!

Members don't see this ad.

A post-bac is not the same as obtaining a BS. As you said, it serves as an entry into an MS (or MD, DO, DMD etc.) program.

In regards to the science pre-req courses you have two options. You can choose to do a post-bac that is designed for students who need to complete their pre-reqs (general biology, general/inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, physics and labs). Or you can do a post-bac designed for students who need to improve their academic record -- but most of these programs require the pre-reqs be completed before starting. That being said I would think you would fall into the case of the former.

Depending on what pre-reqs are required in order to apply for your Nutrition degree, you may even be able to just take those classes not in an official degree/certificate program. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
The above is true. This forum is design for pre-professional programs, and from what I understand, you're interested in becoming a RD (registered dietician), correct?

I happen to know a little about this since I was a Nutrition major in undergrad and the majority of my classmates were going down this path. If you have specific questions, I guess you can PM me since there really isn't a place on SDN for RDs or Nutrition based careers.