New Member Needs Advice

Started by sumanya
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sumanya

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,

I'm a recent graduate with a BA in Urban Studies and Public Health who just returned from a year-long internship in India. I have applied to a few post-bacc pre-med programs and am waiting to hear from them. I'd like some advice about working full vs. part-time while completing the pre-med requirements. Additionally, I'd like to know of anyone who has managed to finish ALL the requirements in 2 semesters and a summer (meaning, 3 sciences during the year and 1 over the summer) and avoided the lag year. Would love to speak with someone in a program already or who is starting out! Thanks,

Sumanya
 
I would probably suggest against working during your postbac year. If you want to finish as soon as you can to avoid a lag year, it sounds like your courseload will be ridiculously heavy (remember most UG students spread out their requirements over the course of 3-4 years, you're taking it all in half that time). I dont have any direct experience with working or not with a postbac yet, but from what I gather, working seems to be hard if you're constatntly in lab and studying to keep up with classes.
 
braluk said:
I would probably suggest against working during your postbac year. If you want to finish as soon as you can to avoid a lag year, it sounds like your courseload will be ridiculously heavy (remember most UG students spread out their requirements over the course of 3-4 years, you're taking it all in half that time). I dont have any direct experience with working or not with a postbac yet, but from what I gather, working seems to be hard if you're constatntly in lab and studying to keep up with classes.


Thanks for the advice. I actually already completed the Bio and math requirements during my undergrad and will double up on Phys/Gen Chem over the year, then Orgo during the summer. Still advise against working? I do have some major financial considerations so I would prefer to work part-time, or at least combine my voluntary clinical experience w/ a paid position somehow. Whatchya think?