New Member Needs Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sumanya

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a recent graduate with a BA in Urban Studies and Public Health who just returned from a year-long internship in India. I have applied to a few post-bacc pre-med programs and am waiting to hear from them. I'd like some advice about working full vs. part-time while completing the pre-med requirements. Additionally, I'd like to know of anyone who has managed to finish ALL the requirements in 2 semesters and a summer (meaning, 3 sciences during the year and 1 over the summer) and avoided the lag year. Would love to speak with someone in a program already or who is starting out! Thanks,

Sumanya

Members don't see this ad.

I would probably suggest against working during your postbac year. If you want to finish as soon as you can to avoid a lag year, it sounds like your courseload will be ridiculously heavy (remember most UG students spread out their requirements over the course of 3-4 years, you're taking it all in half that time). I dont have any direct experience with working or not with a postbac yet, but from what I gather, working seems to be hard if you're constatntly in lab and studying to keep up with classes.

braluk said:
I would probably suggest against working during your postbac year. If you want to finish as soon as you can to avoid a lag year, it sounds like your courseload will be ridiculously heavy (remember most UG students spread out their requirements over the course of 3-4 years, you're taking it all in half that time). I dont have any direct experience with working or not with a postbac yet, but from what I gather, working seems to be hard if you're constatntly in lab and studying to keep up with classes.

Thanks for the advice. I actually already completed the Bio and math requirements during my undergrad and will double up on Phys/Gen Chem over the year, then Orgo during the summer. Still advise against working? I do have some major financial considerations so I would prefer to work part-time, or at least combine my voluntary clinical experience w/ a paid position somehow. Whatchya think?