New member seeking advice

Started by AlkaIL
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AlkaIL

New Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As a non-trad student I and am seeking advice and what to do the next couple of years to become a better applicant.

community college GPA 2.98 (repeated 2 classes I got an F in, 1 W and 1 D)
undergrad GPA 3.35 BA psychology, small private unknown school

no science classes yet need to do post-bac.

I am wanting to do a post-bacc at Northwestern, but after talking to an advisor there I was advised to take a class as a student-at-large, that might get accepted later, but not now due to GPA :-( I am taking a class there starting in January, after which I will apply to their program for summer admission. I am thinking after getting an A in the general Biology and Math class, they might take me into their program.

My EC include hospital volunteering 3 years, worked all through college (can you tell by grades?)

What should I do to make myself a better applicant? Any advice would be appreciated. After all most non-trads that gain acceptance have either careers (none here I work as a bartender and have some sales experience but no career) or have advanced degrees in some field that shows success. Thanks everyone.
 
As a non-trad student I and am seeking advice and what to do the next couple of years to become a better applicant.

community college GPA 2.98 (repeated 2 classes I got an F in, 1 W and 1 D)
undergrad GPA 3.35 BA psychology, small private unknown school

no science classes yet need to do post-bac.

I am wanting to do a post-bacc at Northwestern, but after talking to an advisor there I was advised to take a class as a student-at-large, that might get accepted later, but not now due to GPA :-( I am taking a class there starting in January, after which I will apply to their program for summer admission. I am thinking after getting an A in the general Biology and Math class, they might take me into their program.

My EC include hospital volunteering 3 years, worked all through college (can you tell by grades?)

What should I do to make myself a better applicant? Any advice would be appreciated. After all most non-trads that gain acceptance have either careers (none here I work as a bartender and have some sales experience but no career) or have advanced degrees in some field that shows success. Thanks everyone.

I think the post-bach is a good idea. If there are any other undergraduate courses you should retake I would do that as well. I would try to get some other clinical and volunteering experience and maybe some research. I would look into osteopathic medicine and shadow a DO. Your plan sounds good though. Good luck with everything!:luck:
 
I think the post-bach is a good idea. If there are any other undergraduate courses you should retake I would do that as well. I would try to get some other clinical and volunteering experience and maybe some research. I would look into osteopathic medicine and shadow a DO. Your plan sounds good though. Good luck with everything!:luck:

Good advice, although the OP sounds as if they have the volunteering already. Some research experience is a good idea, and also some shadowing if you can. But first and foremost earn some good grades in your post-bac, and include some advanced coursework in the sciences. And by all means study your butt off for a good score on the MCAT. You can do it.
 
Thanks for the advice. I can't wait to start classes soon.