New Member with a ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stratus2675

Bronx Bomber
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone

I found this site a week ago while searching for answers about med schools. I have read about a hundred threads and most of my answers have been answered, but i do need some input about my situation.

Here are my stats:
29 year old white male
3.2 undergrad GPA
3.8 Science GPA
BS in Criminal Justice (1997)

I have been working in business (telecom hell) for 5+ years and decided to go to school for something in medicine (PT, PA, MD). After taking classes at Nassau Community College, volunteering, and talking with numerous members of each healthcare field, I decided that I wanted MD. I have taken all of the prereqs at a Nassau within the last 3 years, with only Orgo 2, and Physics 2 left to take next semester. I'm planning on taking the MCAT in August of 2005.

My question is, what should I do next? I don't think I will be competitive enough (due to community college level courses) so i am looking into Masters programs (BU, Harvard, NYMC). Is this the correct plan of action?

Also, how good is the Harvard Extension School Masters program? I have an opportunity to work in a Harvard research lab next September, so I am looking for a good program in the Boston area, as well as the NYC area.

Thanks

(sorry its so wordy)

Members don't see this ad.

Stratus2675 said:
Hey everyone

I found this site a week ago while searching for answers about med schools. I have read about a hundred threads and most of my answers have been answered, but i do need some input about my situation.

Here are my stats:
29 year old white male
3.2 undergrad GPA
3.8 Science GPA
BS in Criminal Justice (1997)

I have been working in business (telecom hell) for 5+ years and decided to go to school for something in medicine (PT, PA, MD). After taking classes at Nassau Community College, volunteering, and talking with numerous members of each healthcare field, I decided that I wanted MD. I have taken all of the prereqs at a Nassau within the last 3 years, with only Orgo 2, and Physics 2 left to take next semester. I'm planning on taking the MCAT in August of 2005.

My question is, what should I do next? I don't think I will be competitive enough (due to community college level courses) so i am looking into Masters programs (BU, Harvard, NYMC). Is this the correct plan of action?

Also, how good is the Harvard Extension School Masters program? I have an opportunity to work in a Harvard research lab next September, so I am looking for a good program in the Boston area, as well as the NYC area.

Thanks

(sorry its so wordy)

You should probably go check out the postbaccalaureate forum. They could probably help you out a little better over there!

Good luck! :thumbup:

Also consider DO possibly. YOur stats may be high enough that you wont have to do a amsters program.

Members don't see this ad :)
If, while you are working in the lab, you get in some HES courses and prove that you can do the same caliber work there as you did in your community college, I don't think it should be too much of a problem. Just rock the MCAT. Your undergrad years are long behind you, so they can be more easily explained in your case than for some others.

Thanks for the feedback.

Has anyone out there taken any classes at HES for graduate credit?

check the post-bacc forums .... they'll have all your answers there for you. good luck

You can take an undergraduate level post bacc program at Harvard Extension school. The courses are good and there is also an advising program. The admission to the program is pretty open so you should have no problem getting in. Look them up on the web.

Alternatively you could do a one year post bacc at a program with linkage to the med schools.

You could also do your postbacc at UMass Boston.

Good luck.

I figured a post-bac wouldnt be as valuable as a Masters since I have already taken all of the required classes and did very well (no lower then a B+ in any class)

I don't think your community college classes should hurt you too much, unless you're looking to go to a top-20 or top-30 school. For a state school, I doubt they care too much where you took your prereqs as long as you got good grades in them...just make sure you rock the MCAT. If you get a 30+ I'd think you're in good shape for most state schools and lower-tier private schools. If you are interested in going to a prestigious private school or competitive state school (i.e. if you're from California) then yeah, a master's or some upper-level science courses at a competitive institution wouldn't hurt. I don't know anything about the programs you're talking about specifically...although I've heard the Harvard extension post-bac program is good. Like others have said, the people in the post-bac forum would probably have more information for you about that.