New member

Started by agurf
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

agurf

New Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dear Members!

I have just joined the board today and I have to say a big "THANK YOU!" for all the solid advice you give to newcomers (both med students and residents, foreign and american)...

I especially appreciate correspondence in reply to a prelim positions (

My situation is similar and not. I am a FMG who graduated from a "pediatric track" in my med school and went on to ped neurology residency (equivalent to fellowship in US). Then came to US and entered pediatric residency which I am completing in less than a month and will be Board certified in October.

But....

During my residency I came to a conclusion that general peds is not for me and made a commitment to general surgery->pediatric surgery (I'll be PGY-10 or so by the end...;-) ) I matched into a prelim spot to start this July. I would like to make the best impression in my program and have a chance to stay there for the duration or get a cat spot elsewhere.

My question(s):

1) How do you "keep in touch" with your PD and make him notice you without annoying? Surgery PDs and pediatric PDs are different species and what works for one may not work for other?

2) I will use ERAS this year to get into the Match again. How does one find out about "troubled" programs that you should stay away from. I do not have any geographical preference re: surgery residency?

3) Since I plan for pediatric surgery in the end, how should (and should I) keep in touch with pediatric surgeons in my program (we have 2)? As in most programs, the 1st year includes a pedi rotation.


Thank you all,
Agurf
 
Originally posted by agurf
...question(s):

1) How do you "keep in touch" with your PD and make him notice you without annoying?...

2)...How does one find out about "troubled" programs that you should stay away from.

3) Since I plan for pediatric surgery in the end, how should (and should I) keep in touch with pediatric surgeons in my program (we have 2)? As in most programs, the 1st year includes a pedi rotation.

First, I would agree with the following:
Originally posted by Geek Medic
...You might want to change avatars. It's strikingly similar to another poster on this board with whom you may not want to be confused.

As per your questions:

1. If you get the chance to go to the OR with your PD you should try and be sharp. Also, the work you do for your chiefs will often be noted to the PD by the chiefs. Work hard and let your chiefs know your goals and they will likely vouch for your efforts. Third, the attendings you round with on other services will note your work ethic.

2. You can gain some "rough" red-flags info on this site and look at the program review section of SDN. Do not take the information you find on these "forum" pages as "evidence" or "facts" but rather as a flag that may or may not be true and is deserving of further investigation. Look for programs on probation as potential problem programs. Look at programs graduate rates and fellowship success.

3. You do not need to "keep in touch" with the pede surgery attendings. They will see you. Work hard and both they and the chiefs will notice you. When asked as is invariably the case about if you are prelim or cat and what your goals are give a quick one liner, "I completed my training in pediatric medicine and now want to pursue training in pediatric surgery". Be carefull in how you manage the pediatric patients as it is my experience the pediatricians often have a different approach that is not appreciated or approved of by the pede-surgeons. Ask your chief about how the surgeons handle nutrition and metabolic derangements in the pediatric surgical patient. Finally, look for surgery programs with a track record of obtaining pediatric surgery fellowships for their grads. The pipeline route is always quicker and easier when trying to obtain certain fellowships.
 
Last edited by a moderator: