New MSAR Out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anybody care to explain how to explain this...how do you save as a .c?

If you are familiar with programming in C, which I doubt there are many on these boards, you open the second file in notepad or whatever and go to "save as... " and save it as MSAR.c instead of a ".txt" file.

After you do this, you use whatever you want to compile and run the ".c" file.

If you are in Linux, save both files (the first file posted ".txt" and the second file posted as a ".txt" that was to be changed to a ".c" ) wherever you want. Then in the terminal find the files and type "gcc MSAR.c" and hit enter. Next type "a.out" and it should run and ask for your GPA and MCAT and after completed it will create several files.

In windows, use whatever you normally use to compile C files. I did it in MS Visual Studio 2005. Be sure to attach the actual MSAR data text file in the right place.

In Mac I believe there is an app called code warrior. I do not have a mac but it's possible to do this on a mac.

If these instructions are very foreign, as they will be for most pre-meds, don't worry about it. In retrospect I should have named the files differently but the first is data and the second file posted is code.

Members don't see this ad.

To those of you who know some C programming, I'd love to hear what you think of it. Feel free to modify modify it to make it cleaner and better, I wrote it rather quickly so I apologize if it's somewhat disorganized.

Hope it helps!

Ehh I tried to save it, but for some reason it will only let me save it as .txt

Thanks though.

Members don't see this ad :)
You COULD just zip the .exe. :rolleyes:

You COULD just zip the .exe. :rolleyes:

So much smarter than what I was doing... wow. I really can't believe I didn't think of that!! Just unzip these files to a folder and run the MSAR executable file. It will ask for your GPA, MCAT total and subscores. The new files will be created in that same folder.

The files created will be:
One that shows schools you are above or equal to average at
One that shows you are above or equal to avg at except in VR
One that shows which you are competitive at (within a few MCAT points and .5 in sci and nonsci gpa)
One that shows schools you are above or equal to avg at in terms of just Overall GPA
One that shows schools you are above or equal to avg at in terms of just MCAT overall
One that shows schools you are above or equal to avg at in terms of just Science GPA

** Also, this will only work in windows **

Here goes:

Attachments

• MSAR.zip
    44.8 KB · Views: 250
So much smarter than what I was doing... wow. I really can't believe I didn't think of that!! Just unzip these files to a folder and run the MSAR executable file. The new files will be created in that same folder.

Note: Above average means above or equal to the average in this case...

Here goes:

That's the problem with programmers. Always gotta take the complicated route first. :D

Wait how exactly do you do the above?

To those of you who know some C programming, I'd love to hear what you think of it. Feel free to modify modify it to make it cleaner and better, I wrote it rather quickly so I apologize if it's somewhat disorganized.

Hope it helps!

You can easily compress all the comparison functions to just one universal function...Then just pass 4.0/45 for the factors not being considered..You would also pass the filename to the function..It would look something like:

Code:
// find schools for the average SDN MCAT, 38
dumpschools("overallmcat.txt", 38, 4.0, 4.0);

// or schools that you're praying for =)
dumpschools("competitive.txt", mcat+2, sci+.5, ogpa+.5);

void dumpschools(char *fname, mcat, sci, ogpa)
{
if ( (school.MCAT <= mcat) && (school.sci <= sci) && (school.ogpa <= ogpa) )
}

It's nice to see things like this...If you really want to have fun, move the MSAR data to a database and you can accomplish much more using some creative queries. :)

Bump... want others to see this data... quite useful!

Here's all the data, typed by hand. Free data; don't complain. If you don't understand it then you need to go find the actual hardcopy book.

You truly are an amazing human being. Years from now, SDNers everywhere will utter the name "Data *****" with admiration. Tell Mr. William Smith to move over, because You are Legend.

May you lead a long, happy, and prosperous life.

very useful should be made a sticky for the MSAR :thumbup:

So much smarter than what I was doing... wow. I really can't believe I didn't think of that!! Just unzip these files to a folder and run the MSAR executable file. It will ask for your GPA, MCAT total and subscores. The new files will be created in that same folder.

The files created will be:
One that shows schools you are above or equal to average at
One that shows you are above or equal to avg at except in VR
One that shows which you are competitive at (within a few MCAT points and .5 in sci and nonsci gpa)
One that shows schools you are above or equal to avg at in terms of just Overall GPA
One that shows schools you are above or equal to avg at in terms of just MCAT overall
One that shows schools you are above or equal to avg at in terms of just Science GPA

** Also, this will only work in windows **

Here goes:

:smuggrin:, you know there's a delete keyword in c for a reason. Just sayin' ;).