New MSAR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

weanprednisone

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've read the "New MSAR confusion" post by efle yesterday.
I think the box-whisker plot doesn't really say anything, as the medians are so low compared to the old MCAT data. And who needs to know about the applicant....

Are they going to post a new plot when the cycle is over? With accepted info?
For now, can we look at the plot like this:
upload_2016-3-8_10-35-9.png

2016 applicants (not accepted) median: 505
top 10% of applying to this school: 511-516?
bottom 10% of applying to this school: 492-501?
Can we maybe say that accepted students range: 508-516?
Or how would you go about interpreting this?
or if anyone has a tl;dr from efle's post that answers this.

Help is appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

You seem very confused. What this graph is saying is for THIS PARTICULAR SCHOOL, 10th-90th is 499-511 with a median of 505.

For all applicants nationally (accepted or not), the 10th-90th is 497-508, with a median of 501. (Not much different than the previous median of edit: 28.5)

Basically, you are shooting for a 507+ when you take the new MCAT.

Last edited:
You seem very confused. What this graph is saying is for THIS PARTICULAR SCHOOL, 10th-90th is 499-511 with a median of 505.

For all applicants nationally (accepted or not), the 10th-90th is 497-508, with a median of 501. (Not much different than the previous median of 24)

Previous average was 28.5 for applicants not 24.

Members don't see this ad :)

For all applicants nationally (accepted or not), the 10th-90th is 497-508, with a median of 501. (Not much different than the previous median of edit: 28.5)

So those error bars don't represent the 10th and 90th %. I was on the assumption that those bars were 10-90 and the middle chunk of blue represented 25%(beginning of blue chunk), 50% (white line) and 75% (end of blue chunk). On the MSAR it says the data represents 10, 25, 50, 75, and 90%iles.

Reactions: 1 user
The error bars indeed show the limits of the 10th and 90th percentiles. Blue = 25th to 75th. White vertical line in the middle of the blue bar is the 50th %ile.

So those error bars don't represent the 10th and 90th %. I was on the assumption that those bars were 10-90 and the middle chunk of blue represented 25%(beginning of blue chunk), 50% (white line) and 75% (end of blue chunk). On the MSAR it says the data represents 10, 25, 50, 75, and 90%iles.

If that's what it says, then that's what it means.

28.5 is pretty different from 501. 501 is a 54th percentile score. 28.5 is somewhere in between the 67th and 73rd percentile

28.5 is pretty different from 501. 501 is a 54th percentile score. 28.5 is somewhere in between the 67th and 73rd percentile

To be honest neither of these numbers really matter. What's important is the accepted students median.

Reactions: 1 users
"Acceptance data on the 2016 entering class will be available in the next edition of MSAR". And in the top right corner of MSAR it now says 2016-2017 edition. Does this mean we will have acceptance data for the new MCAT in a month (early April)? This is confusing.

"Acceptance data on the 2016 entering class will be available in the next edition of MSAR". And in the top right corner of MSAR it now says 2016-2017 edition. Does this mean we will have acceptance data for the new MCAT in a month (early April)? This is confusing.
I think like whatever5 said, they will either be posted soon (end of march, early April) or maybe not until they have the 2017-2018 ed. But I guess maybe some of our subscriptions would expire...

IMO, it wouldn't make financial/business sense for them to update the MSAR more than once per year. I imagine it won't be until Spring 2017 that we'll see any chances. Has the AAMC ever significantly changed the MSAR more than once per year?

So if we plan to apply in June we are relying on accepted/matriculant data for old MCAT and strictly applicant data for new MCAT. Seems like a mess.

Reactions: 1 users
I tweeted and asked them and they said they won't be updating til next April.... Soooooo yeah

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of people with the new MCAT this year applied before they even knew their scores. Which means that a lot of people probably submitted without knowing that they scored an equivalent of a 25. Might also explain the huge jump in total applications this year too.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

So if we plan to apply in June we are relying on accepted/matriculant data for old MCAT and strictly applicant data for new MCAT. Seems like a mess.

Is thats whats happening here? I thought I was just dumb and couldn't find out all the new accepted MCAT scores. If so, thats super disappointing!

Edit: This is thread is from 2016, so clearly I am still dumb. If anyone has any advice on the MSAR Ill be happy to hear it.

Last edited:
Is thats whats happening here? I thought I was just dumb and couldn't find out all the new accepted MCAT scores. If so, thats super disappointing!

Edit: This is thread is from 2016, so clearly I am still dumb. If anyone has any advice on the MSAR Ill be happy to hear it.
First time getting back on here in about a year....anyways, if you haven't seen already, the newly released MSAR has MCAT 2015 acceptance/matriculant data!