New Non-trad in need of help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anavistas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know how to start ....I've been on SDN for a long time,when I first came here I was pretty much a traditional student now I'm 26 ,
I started a MS in Physics .....I really didn't want to study this but I had no way,
I'm an international student and the situation wasn't in way that I can study anything that I wanted,
I had taken some Chemistry in my country but not here,and I've heard I have to take all the pre_reqs here,
now I'd be very greatful to get answers to my questions,

1-I can take Master's level courses for free,Is it acceptable to take say Dynamics or Quantom mechanics instead of 2 years of Physics?Without Lab?

2-What are some graduate level courses in Chemistry or Biology that I can take as Pre_req?

3-Is the lab mandatory?

4-I'm really intrested in MD/PHD programs,if can't get in do you think I can go for PhD and then change it to MD?

last but not least am I too old?;)

I know I've wasted lots of time and I can't wait anymore,I want to take all Pre-reqs till the end of summer and apply ,do you think it's possible?I appreciate any comments,I'm really desparate right now,this was my life time goal ,I just forgot it for sometime and I paid the price.......now I think I will be old and I will die so at least I want to try it,reading about other's experiences is inspiring when you see only darkness....

Thanks all non-trads

:luck:

PS.Sorry for many mistakes my native language is not English,

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how to start ....I've been on SDN for a long time,when I first came here I was pretty much a traditional student now I'm 26 ,
I started a MS in Physics .....I really didn't want to study this but I had no way,
I'm an international student and the situation wasn't in way that I can study anything that I wanted,
I had taken some Chemistry in my country but not here,and I've heard I have to take all the pre_reqs here,
now I'd be very greatful to get answers to my questions,

1-I can take Master's level courses for free,Is it acceptable to take say Dynamics or Quantom mechanics instead of 2 years of Physics?Without Lab?

2-What are some graduate level courses in Chemistry or Biology that I can take as Pre_req?

3-Is the lab mandatory?

4-I'm really intrested in MD/PHD programs,if can't get in do you think I can go for PhD and then change it to MD?

last but not least am I too old?;)

I know I've wasted lots of time and I can't wait anymore,I want to take all Pre-reqs till the end of summer and apply ,do you think it's possible?I appreciate any comments,I'm really desparate right now,this was my life time goal ,I just forgot it for sometime and I paid the price.......now I think I will be old and I will die so at least I want to try it,reading about other's experiences is inspiring when you see only darkness....

Thanks all non-trads

:luck:

PS.Sorry for many mistakes my native language is not English,

Definately not too old. I am 29 and applying and lots of people are 35+ and 40+.

I am not sure about the answer to your other questions except that the labs are requirements.

You might want to dig around on the AMCAS website to see if they have the answers you are looking for.

First of all, it's never too late. You are only 26.

I think it is possible to have taken pre-reqs in another country, but it depends on the country. It would make your application more acceptable if you did take them over in the US. Consult the individual med schools that you plan on applying to.

Grad courses can't substitute for undergrad courses, and yes you need labs.

You may also run into some issues if you are not a permanent resident at the time you apply. This is a requirement for many (if not all) US schools. Someone else may be able to give some more info on this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot for your comments,the reality is (after going to different websites),I found out I have to take all pre+reqs again.
I want to know if I can take some graduate courses like Biochem instead of Orgo ,or Genetics instead of Bio?If I take graduage level Biochem instead of Oego1 ,then what else can I take for Orgo 2?
The other problem is can I take Biochem or.....for Non-Biochem majors?
I really don't knoe what are some courses that I can take as my pre_reqs:confused:

Thanks a lot for your comments,the reality is (after going to different websites),I found out I have to take all pre+reqs again.
I want to know if I can take some graduate courses like Biochem instead of Orgo ,or Genetics instead of Bio?If I take graduage level Biochem instead of Oego1 ,then what else can I take for Orgo 2?
The other problem is can I take Biochem or.....for Non-Biochem majors?
I really don't knoe what are some courses that I can take as my pre_reqs:confused:

Um, the fact that you have to take the prereqs means you have to take the prereqs. No substitutions of graduate courses for undergrad requirements are going to work. As for what specific courses count, you probably want to talk to your school and see -- you can't be the first premed they've ever had.

Well, if you're doing your MS in physics, I'm guessing that you had to take some sort of general physics classes while you were an undergrad- there's a chance that those would count, especially if you took labs with them.
Depending on your background (i.e. a lot of bio related lab work) they sometimes will accept upper level bio classes, but only sometimes.
I would be almost certain that biochem would never fill in for orgo, only would be in addition to.

In your shoes, I'd probably give a couple schools I'm interested in a call and ask them for specifics about your situation- that's the bottom line.

Today I talked with a guy from the department of Chemistry,he said I can take advanced Organic next term ....
I want to apply this summer ,we have 2 summer terms and the last one would finish in mid july,I wanted to take some courses at the graduate level,the reason is they would be counted towards my MS and I don't have to pay for them.
It's funny to take Advanced Organic next term and then take Orgo1 in summer!!I'm already teaching lab and it's funny again that they require any labs in Physics.
If there is no way and I have to take all undergraduate level courses that means that maybe I have to take 12 credits each summer term and I'm not sure if they allow me to do that.....
I'm just thinking it's not fair,if I'm passing the advanced level of a course how am I not able to pass th eundergraduate level??Is it about the grading system that might be easier for graduate courses?
You know it's really better to wait one more year but I've already lost enough ,I can't wait for one more year,I'm sure you Non_trads can understand this....
:confused:

I'm just thinking it's not fair,if I'm passing the advanced level of a course how am I not able to pass th eundergraduate level??Is it about the grading system that might be easier for graduate courses?

It's perfectly fair in that everyone has to take the same courses. Schools want everyone to take the same prereqs because that enables schools do do some form of comparison. Also the point is less about the usefulness of the material in the prereqs and more about requiring everyone to jump over a uniform set of hurdles.

Graduate courses definitely aren't regarded the same because of some element of grade inflation, but also because undergrad and graduate coursework is kept separate on AMCAS -- it is not viewed as interchangeable coursework.

You know it's really better to wait one more year but I've already lost enough ,I can't wait for one more year,I'm sure you Non_trads can understand this....
:confused:

Suck it up and do it. We all had to. I had to re-take Physics 1 and 2 because one of the schools to which I wanted to apply required all science classes to be for science majors. I was an engineering major and took Physics 1 and 2 for engineering majors when I originally took Physics. I called the school and they said, "Nope, the course HAS to be for science majors." I thought, "What a pain-in-the-a$$," but I just sucked it up and did it.

One thing you might look into, which is how I "got out" of that situation easily was that the school where I was doing my post-bac offered placement tests to place out of those classes. So, I tested out of both Physics 1 and 2 (with lab.) You need to check with the medical schools in which you are interested to see what their policy about AP credit (those courses showed up as AP credit on my transcript) is.

Oh yeah, that pain-in-the-a$$ school was one of the only 2 to which I was accepted, so I'm glad I jumped through the hoops.

Try posting in the international forums to see if anyone has advice on how to handle the English language/foreign born aspects of your questions. You should be able to get help through your university with improving your English speaking/writing skills. Interviews and personal statement writing are stressful enough without worrying about your pronunciation and grammar, find someone to help you practice interviewing.

Certainly having legal status here (ie, not needing the school to supply you with a visa) has been seen as helpful by other internationals, but I'm no expert.

I would take a careful look at your coursework and contact admissions offices individually about their requirements, but the surest help for your app is to take all the prereqs for undergrad credit.

Was your undergraduate here or overseas? That could make a difference as well to adcoms, for better or worse.

The reality is I have many problems with English and I always make some mistakes but usually for international students they just require some exams and after you pass them they say you are ok!I wanted to take English but my major problem is time,
I have only next term and 2 summer terms,I have to take graduate courses for my degree and simultaneously take these pre_reqs,
I just wanted to see can I take graduate courses instead of them.....that it sounds I can't...
Then I'd have to take 9 graduate credits and also Bio,Chem,Orgo 1 next term.I have taken Chem1,2 with lab overseas but not with good grades...
I should take them again,I've never taken any Bio but in high school do you think it's wise to take 9 graduate credits with 9 undergraduate in 1 term??

I don't really know which Medical school to contact I should start though...
I have no preferances...I don't have a home state ....to say I want to stay here..... so there is no difference ...I just want a cheap one to be able to pay for it...I can't borrow any loans so I have to pay for it myself..I hope I can finish in some small cheap cities...even that way I'm not sure I can pay for it...I really want to get my PhD but because of my age it's hard to consider MSTP..
It's nearly impossible for me but I want to try to see what would happen..at least when I see some of you Non-Trads study with children and you have to work...I feel ashamed to complain about my situation..