new office

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pain1

pain1
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In private practice office setting with fluoro machine, do you all start IVs on patients for LESI, CESIs eventhough the patient did not require sedation?
If you do, do you need a trained RN etc to start the IV, recover the pt...would MA be sufficient?:confused:
Could you also utilize Medical Assistant for running the fluoro machine in Texas?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I start saline locks on everybody because every once in a while someone will get vagal during a procedure.

In Texas anyone can help with the fluoro as long as the physician activates the beam. That means if you don't have an xray tech you have to use the foot pedal.

Beginning 2008 you will have to meet the Board's criteria for office-based sedation you can find it in Chapter 192 at http://www.tmb.state.tx.us/rules/rules/bdrules.php.

i only use saline locks on crazy anxious patients, patients with previous vagal episodes and any procedure where vagal is VERY likely (ie: discography), or any procedure where antibiotics should be given before hand... etc

which means only about 5% of my procedures get IVs

i don't know the rules for Texas (but usually RNs are the ones to start IVs)

you don't need a fluoro tech in TX - just can't allow them to shoot the beam

Members don't see this ad :)
I stopped using IV's a couple years ago for ESI's, but I also stopped doing high cervicals and cervical transforaminals. I've had planety of vagals (always young males), never needed fluids IV for one.

If you're doing office-based procedures, 911 is always just a phone call away! :D

Are you gonna have a crash cart?