New on Midwestern IL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MavVball16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So first of all, I feel like I've been missing out this whole time by not knowing about this website and these forums! I really wish someone would have shown me this earlier because I've been desperate for help with my applications and choosing schools and all that, and I've had zero guidance via other's horror/success stories.
Anyway - I applied to 5 schools, mostly Chicago area (UIC, Rush, Midwestern) and got a no from UIC, I'm on the "alternate" list for Rush, and I haven't heard anything back from Midwestern. My other 2 schools are a no as well so I'm pretty much down to Midwestern and I'm wondering if I should just give up altogether and have my mind set on applying again next year?
I've heard through various threads that if you haven't received an invite for interviewing by February with Midwestern, then your chances of getting in are pretty slim. I also heard that someone didn't get a response at all from Midwestern so now I'm kind of irritated by already assuming that they won't get back to me at all. Was this anyone else's experience??
I got an e-mail from them directing me to create a login name/password for the MWU site and have been checking both that and my e-mail for interview updates and haven't heard anything.
I e-mailed their dept. as well and they said they can't tell me when I'll hear back or even a deadline they have because it's on a rolling admissions basis. It's so frustrating to be left in the dark!

So basically - if you didn't want to read my little rant above, here are my two questions:
1. Has anyone else heard back from Midwestern or does anyone know anything about their 2013 class status?
2. Is the alternate list for Rush the same as a plain ol' waiting list and has anyone been accepted from the waiting list before?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

In response to your 2nd question: Yes, I know people who have gotten into Rush after being on the alternate list. One girl was told less than a week before orientation began, so it's a very active list.

MavVBall - do you know number you are on the alternate list? I'm actually going to withdraw from the Rush class for this summer because I decided on a different program. I'm emailing them next week so hopefully you may hear something! They told us at Rush interviews that people get accepted from the list all the time - one girl was called on the DAY of orientation because someone never showed up or informed them they won't be attending.

As for Midwestern, I have not heard from them at all as well and am assuming I am declined. I'm a bit annoyed as well because they take so long. I did hear from someone that they are super slow and sometimes don't send denial letters until April even if the person applied in September or October!

Members don't see this ad :)
OTLove - thanks for your input! I have no idea what number I am on the waiting list, they said they take 60 applicants on the waiting list but don't tell you where you rank so for all I know, I could be in the #1 or the #60 spot. Maybe your withdrawal will help me out a little! what program did you decide on?
As for Midwestern - I'm glad I'm not the only one who is waiting to hear back. They should at least have the courtesy to send an e-mail and let you know they're either still reviewing applications or you have no chance so we're not all waiting around! I'm tempted to send another e-mail to see if I can get any more info but I doubt they release much.

OTLove - thanks for your input! I have no idea what number I am on the waiting list, they said they take 60 applicants on the waiting list but don't tell you where you rank so for all I know, I could be in the #1 or the #60 spot. Maybe your withdrawal will help me out a little! what program did you decide on?
As for Midwestern - I'm glad I'm not the only one who is waiting to hear back. They should at least have the courtesy to send an e-mail and let you know they're either still reviewing applications or you have no chance so we're not all waiting around! I'm tempted to send another e-mail to see if I can get any more info but I doubt they release much.

I decided on UW-Madison. I love the program & the school and would like to get out of Chicago for a little bit. The tuition is the same as Rush anyway. At this point - I would personally contact Midwestern again. I did however read in past posts that people still got invited to interview in like March or April! So don't lose hope. :) Good luck and maybe you'll hear back from Rush soon! Would you prefer Rush or Midwestern?

I heard from Midwestern early on in January for an interview that I had later on that month. About a week later I found out I was accepted. I'll need to make a $750 deposit reserving my spot by February 25th, so perhaps afterwards you should hear more.

I know they're planning on continuing interviews throughout March, so there's definitely time to hear back. I also know they've received ~900 applications for 46 seats, so it be might take time to review. Not that it makes the wait any easier! I'm still waiting on my #1 choice, and it's the worst.

They got around 900 applications?! That's more than UIC...did they say that at the interview? That is just so much!

Nope, I don't think they said that at the interview. I hadn't heard from them by late December so a friend of mine, who's an OT/wrote a letter of rec. for me in my application, emailed a professor there that my friend happened to go to school with as an extra means of communication. The professor sent an emaill back saying it was "strange" that I hadn't heard back at that point, but there are approximately 900 applications so it was "hard to keep up".

Although I'd like to think I'm a qualified applicant, I wouldn't be surprised if that email was to my benefit. It might have been a week after that email was sent that I received an invite to interview. My understanding is, though, that Midwestern holds quite a few interview days, but sometimes it's hard to break through.

Wow, that is pretty crazy. I'm surprised they received a lot more applicants than UIC but I assume it is because people on the west coast are applying to the Arizona campus and figure to also apply to the IL one. Either way, makes more sense why I haven't heard back from them! I was really surprised I havent because I also feel I am a qualified applicant for their program. Are you planning on attending there?

I'm planning on putting a deposit down, but I won't be 100% sure until I hear a final decision from Madison. I liked everything about Midwestern and felt really, really confortable there, but because I did my undergrad at UW-Madison I'd probably prefer to end up back there. :xf:

I'm planning on putting a deposit down, but I won't be 100% sure until I hear a final decision from Madison. I liked everything about Midwestern and felt really, really confortable there, but because I did my undergrad at UW-Madison I'd probably prefer to end up back there. :xf:

Oh awesome! Hopefully we'll end up as classmates then :) good luck!

Hi there,

I received an invite for an interview about a month ago - it is scheduled for March 11th.

So first of all, I feel like I've been missing out this whole time by not knowing about this website and these forums! I really wish someone would have shown me this earlier because I've been desperate for help with my applications and choosing schools and all that, and I've had zero guidance via other's horror/success stories.
Anyway - I applied to 5 schools, mostly Chicago area (UIC, Rush, Midwestern) and got a no from UIC, I'm on the "alternate" list for Rush, and I haven't heard anything back from Midwestern. My other 2 schools are a no as well so I'm pretty much down to Midwestern and I'm wondering if I should just give up altogether and have my mind set on applying again next year?
I've heard through various threads that if you haven't received an invite for interviewing by February with Midwestern, then your chances of getting in are pretty slim. I also heard that someone didn't get a response at all from Midwestern so now I'm kind of irritated by already assuming that they won't get back to me at all. Was this anyone else's experience??
I got an e-mail from them directing me to create a login name/password for the MWU site and have been checking both that and my e-mail for interview updates and haven't heard anything.
I e-mailed their dept. as well and they said they can't tell me when I'll hear back or even a deadline they have because it's on a rolling admissions basis. It's so frustrating to be left in the dark!

So basically - if you didn't want to read my little rant above, here are my two questions:
1. Has anyone else heard back from Midwestern or does anyone know anything about their 2013 class status?
2. Is the alternate list for Rush the same as a plain ol' waiting list and has anyone been accepted from the waiting list before?

Thanks!

Hey MavVball,

I received an invite for an interview for MWU-IL about a month ago and it is scheduled for early March.

800 is what I was told. So it seems about right.

Wow, that is pretty crazy. I'm surprised they received a lot more applicants than UIC but I assume it is because people on the west coast are applying to the Arizona campus and figure to also apply to the IL one. Either way, makes more sense why I haven't heard back from them! I was really surprised I havent because I also feel I am a qualified applicant for their program. Are you planning on attending there?

It may have to do with the no GRE requirement.

Thanks for everyone's responses! Glad to know it's not the end of the world if I haven't heard back yet, although, I'm probably just going to put Midwestern in the temporary "No" file and make other plans since it is taking so long to hear back. I still haven't heard anything and I sent an e-mail today asking when their deadline is for responding to applicants and if they at least send out a denial letter (because I read on a previous post that someone didn't hear back at all, not even a denial letter). Hopefully things turn around soon but we will see!