EMFreakz

10+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Do you all routinely still admit these guys if they've converted? What's your criteria for admission if they've converted?

leorl

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2001
messymedic.blogspot.com
Status
Attending Physician
sure i admit, whether they spontaneously converted or whether i converted them. new onset paraoxysmal afib is still something that has to be worked up and observed - tele/holter/echo for at least 24 hrs, esp as it has the potential to go unstable or create dangerous symptoms. It's also an ACS workup.

takotsubo

10+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2007
Washington
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i've sent home patients before for followup...whether i cardioverted them or if they slowed down on their own. It depends on the clinical situation, older people i'll keep and work up.

uncwalley

15+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2001
Usually at work
Status
Attending Physician
I always have, however, I'm starting to rethink this. There is literature to suggest it is safe for a certain subset to go home, whether you convert or they convert on their own. Usually, they have some complicating factor that makes me admit. We'll see how it goes when the next young, otherwise healthy heart that I see in A.fib comes in.

Dr.McNinja

Nobel War Prize Winner
10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2006
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
This isn't Canada. It might be safe to send 99% of those patients home, but until we get some meaningful malpractice reform, it isn't fiscally sound.
I personally would like to send them home though.

Rendar5

15+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2003
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
Had one yesterday, but he also had syncopized twice before coming in. Not someone to send home. He agreed to stay overnight so we could make sure he stayed in sinus. Rest of his workup is going to be outpt.

pinipig523

I like my job!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2004
Missing Chicago
Status
Attending Physician
I always have, however, I'm starting to rethink this. There is literature to suggest it is safe for a certain subset to go home, whether you convert or they convert on their own. Usually, they have some complicating factor that makes me admit. We'll see how it goes when the next young, otherwise healthy heart that I see in A.fib comes in.
That's in Canada.

I still don't think it's safe.