New or used?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cpw

It's a boy !!!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.. I have a decision to make. Apparently I get to choose whether I buy new eqipment from UHCO or to rent equipment to use while I'm in school. Does anyone have any opinions on which way would work better? Do you REALLY use this stuff when you graduate? I'm sure you use some of it if you're starting your own place... I guess it might depend on what your career aspirations are. Any input is appreciated :D

Members don't see this ad.

While I havent started school yet :rolleyes:........

It is my understanding that certain equiptment you SHOULD buy new because you will really use the stuff after school.....and certain stuff youll NEVER use, thats the stuff to get used. ;)

Now which is which is anybody's guess?? :rolleyes:

I wish we had this option at UAB. Yes, some of it will never again see the light of day after boards and some you will use until you retire. Alot of it does depend on your career track. If you aspire to open your own practice buying more now is a deal because you get student prices. If you go to work for someone else they will probably have all that you need. If I were you, the only pieces of equipment you really might want to buy to keep is a good BIO (binocular indirect) and maybe a good diagnostic set (ophthalmoscope/retinoscope). These items you will use everyday..esp the bio. However keep in mind that if you go to work for someone else they may have these already but you may still choose to use the one you are accustomed to. A trial lens set is very iffy because you will only need it if you open your own practice and they may be purchased good as new after you graduate. Another thing to realize is that some od's sell their practice with equipment already there. A final point would be to check online at ebay etc for used equipment to purchase. Several people bought trial lens sets here in my class (we require them :() You can get a good deal on some less important items. However, esp for bio + ophthalmoscope + retinoscope, it is good to have that warranty that comes with a new piece of equipment. Also, like i said, you will use these three pieces of equipment (the ophthalmoscope less so) in your career ALL THE TIME..do not skimp on them. The other stuff is mostly plastic junk that costs a lot. eyeguy

Members don't see this ad :)
cpw said:
Hey guys.. I have a decision to make. Apparently I get to choose whether I buy new eqipment from UHCO or to rent equipment to use while I'm in school. Does anyone have any opinions on which way would work better? Do you REALLY use this stuff when you graduate? I'm sure you use some of it if you're starting your own place... I guess it might depend on what your career aspirations are. Any input is appreciated :D

i know you're graduated already - but that would be great if all schools would allow this.... some equipment really isn't needed later on

well, it also turned out there was no rental equipment... I spent 5000 for equipment that is now in my closet.

cpw said:
well, it also turned out there was no rental equipment... I spent 5000 for equipment that is now in my closet.

crap, that stinks! what stuff was that? i find i dont even use my direct that much... (mostly just use 78D and BIO)...

... also many near point cards are never used

I think its a good thing that you bought that stuff, since once you are done school and working you will be more comfortable with that equipment since you learned on it where as if you buy new equipment you have to adjust to it everytime..............thats just me tho......

ODDream