1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

New Orlando Program

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by MS05', Feb 18, 2007.

1. MS05'

MS05' Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Does anybody know anything about Orlando's newest EM program? Apparently, it's at Florida Hospital (that's what I heard, could be wrong. They are apparently expecting to have a new residency accredited sometime in 2007...

2. darunc

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i believe it is a DO program... but i could be mistaken

3. SolidGold

SolidGold Florida winters are the best!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think it's a DO program too, don't know much more though.

4. MedicFL

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I live here in Orlando and I heard they were trying to get an MD program going, but last I heard it wasnt going to happen because they wanted to use ORMC for Truama Rotations and Ormc having its own program said no, but I could be wrong.

5. trkd

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Florida Hospital is a DO residency hospital associated with NOVA med school. Suprising that they would do a MD program. Interesting all the same. You would think that someone would fire up a MD program in Miami before another in Orlando but I am just a youngster in the game.

6. MedicFL

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yes the DO program is with Nova and at Florida Hospital East campus. There was talk of a program at the main campus downtown....I am not sure of the outcome though...

7. OP
    OP
    MS05'

MS05' Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think mabye this is it...

http://www.floridaep.com/career.htm

"Florida Emergency Physicians – The best option for emergency physicians and physician assistants/nurse practitioners in the Southeast! Florida Emergency Physicians is interviewing board certified/board prepared emergency physicians. We are expecting a brand new state-of-the-art Emergency Medicine Residency in 2007, were there will be potential opportunities in administrative/academic positions. "

8. dchristismi

dchristismi Gin and Tonic
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah, well, we'll see...

Our head honchos have said they aren't going to be using our trauma center for their trauma experience - between EM and GS, we have plenty of bodies in the bays. Besides, we're looking to expand too. (Or course, Orlando's penetrating trauma has increased dramatically in the last couple of years, but still...)

I'll believe it when I see it.

Danielle
    PGY-II, ORMC

9. wizzzzzzzz

Fellow [Any Field]
    They Adventist/Fl. EM. Phys were approved for an MD program(ABEM). They were told it had to be at Fl. South, not East like originally requested. Don't know how many residents they will take. Trauma will be at Halifax.

Rumor is they are filling their faculty ranks with a bunch of ORMC-EM grads, esp this years class.

Any other word?

10. mcrib

2+ Year Member

From what I've seen on the website and thru emramatch.org, ORMC doesn't seem to have any DO's. Have any DO's interviewed there, or is their program generally regarded as DO-unfriendly? Thanks.

11. Born2baDoctor

Born2baDoctor Medicine: A Natural High
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    The University of Central Florida is forming a new allopathic medical school in the near future. Perhaps Orlando does have an M.D. program on the way?

12. DrQuinn

DrQuinn My name is Neo
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Traditionally, VERY un-DO-friendly. Not only their EM program, but also the rest of the hospital. This may have changed in recent years, but when I applied, they would reject you within hours of getting your application (which, by the way, no other program ever did).

Q

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...