NEW PA DOCTORATE PROGRAM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted6669

Did you guys see the announcement about the new post grad doctorate program for p.a.'s in the p.a. journals? It is at nova southeastern in florida. pretty neat, huh? the degree granted is D.H.Sc.(doctor of health science). it is designed for pa school faculty/wannabees.

Members don't see this ad.

I know there are many programs of the sort. I see that some schools require a PhD on staff along with MDs for accreditation. Thats all fine and well. But--I sure hope PA`s around the country dont think they can attain the "Dr." title by doing this. I personally feel that programs similar to these will be more trouble than they are worth. They just want the tuition money. Further igniting the old ugly debate. IOf a PA is not happy without the title of Dr. than he/she should go to m,ed school. They clearly are not in the right profession.

I think that the DHSc program may have some benefits for the PA who is considering academia and/or administrative/political positions like program director or AAPA position, etc. Personally, I like the option.

The "Dr." part doesn't mean squat to me. No one would be, nor should they be, addressing me with that title in a clinical setting anyway because it would only lend itself to confusion. Patients would obviously think I am a physician, which (of course) I would not be. If you just use it like you would any other degree, it will facilitate your upward progression in the profession to whatever your end goal may be.

In physical therapy, there is the EXACT SAME issue. I was originally a PT in an accelerated BS program (much like many Physician Assistant programs) prior to medical school. Now, the APTA is introducing the DPT program (clinical doctorate in PT) which is meant only for research and academics...it has created clear division among therapists and has created confusion with patients. Egotistic new grads sometimes believe they are "just like doctors"...not a good characteristic to have as a PT. The degree offers NO added licesure benefits and the licensure exam is no different from PT to MSPT to DPT. Undoubtedly, it will create similar problems in the Physician Assistant field. The identity crisis was one of the problems I got out of PT
Just my 2 cents.