New Pharmacist Salaries - Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

morenife

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been searching online for how much the big pharma retailers are offering these days (2019) since it appears that rates are significantly different from last year. I have heard of new floaters and staff receiving $50/hr or less <32hr per week in Walgreens. I hear new PICs (Rx Manager) are being offered $55-60/hr for 32/42hr weeks in CVS, Rite Aid and Walgreens. Is this true? Can you share what you know about the new rates for new pharmacists in your area? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Floating 30 hours per week, $54/hr, rite aid in a mid/small city in the Northeast

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. Was anyone of you able to negotiate the offers given? What helped you decide?
Which position appeals to you most and why - i.e. immediate new graduate pharmacy manager position, new staff member or new hourly floater? Thanks.

Thanks. Was anyone of you able to negotiate the offers given? What helped you decide?
Which position appeals to you most and why - i.e. immediate new graduate pharmacy manager position, new staff member or new hourly floater? Thanks.

Short answer is it’s non negotiable. I took a 58$/64 hour guaranteed position in the Midwest. Reality is I’m clearing closer to 75 hours based on the published schedule. I know CVS was offering 61$ per hour for new grads last year. That turned into 55$ In 2019. Same market.

Reactions: 3 users
Short answer is it’s non negotiable. I took a 58$/64 hour guaranteed position in the Midwest. Reality is I’m clearing closer to 75 hours based on the published schedule. I know CVS was offering 61$ per hour for new grads last year. That turned into 55$ In 2019. Same market.
Thank you, just wondering are you staff or floater?

Friend at an independent in Oklahoma just put out a job listing for a full time pharmacist who can do clinical services at $35/hr. Got 40 resumes in one day!

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 15 users
I'd hard pressed to accept a manager position later and wouldn't consider it as a new grad unless that was my only option. I do want to move to staff just to have more hours guaranteed but I'm happy floating for now to get a good feel for what stores I'd like to be at more permanently.

Reactions: 2 users
Friend at an independent in Oklahoma just put out a job listing for a full time pharmacist who can do clinical services at $35/hr. Got 40 resumes in one day!
ouch - but doesn't surprise me - right now you are getting new grads that are completely desperate - or older RPh's who have a decent savings who just want to dump the corporate BS

Reactions: 1 users
New graduates with no job lined up will take any pharmacist job as long as it pays the bill. The older pharmacists are looking for job to get out of chains to keep their sanity. Tough world out there.

The saturation is really here. Just recently a new grad was offered $25 at an independent pharmacy with no benefits. How do they expect people to pay back 200k loans ‍♀️

• Wow
  • Angry
Members don't see this ad :)
The saturation is really here. Just recently a new grad was offered $25 at an independent pharmacy with no benefits. How do they expect people to pay back 200k loans ‍♀️

Yikes. While I believe the salary drops I have a hard time believing this. Who would take this??

Reactions: 5 users
Yikes. While I believe the salary drops I have a hard time believing this. Who would take this??

I am shocked too! If this person wasn't a verified member in a group I'm part of, I'd never believe it.

The saturation is really here. Just recently a new grad was offered $25 at an independent pharmacy with no benefits. How do they expect people to pay back 200k loans ‍♀
Which state did new grad that you mentioned accept $25/hr at an independent pharmacy? The market is getting so tough now

Which state did new grad that you mentioned accept $25/hr at an independent pharmacy? The market is getting so tough now
Idk, but I call and raise you to $21/hr.

Attachments

• E424C307-C4C4-41A1-A828-D410A8D37B54.jpeg
    E424C307-C4C4-41A1-A828-D410A8D37B54.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 653
  • Wow
  • Hmm
Reactions: 6 users

They didn't accept. Yeah! It's tough.

Thats independant though ya know? they dont have the bucks to keep up with the big guys...... its always like that. still sad though.....

Im getting $69/hour as PIC 5k a week volume retail East coast area.

thats about par for the course. When were you hired? i'm PIC at 70/hr. hired early 2017. although i should say , that WAS par for the coures..... i dunno today...prob 55-60 i would guess. 65 with exp?

I am just wondering how come it dropped fast from $61 down to $55 in 1 year? Union policy change?

I am just wondering how come it dropped fast from $61 down to $55 in 1 year? Union policy change?

The market is correcting itself.

wait until the next drop, i predict 40-45/hr. within 1-2 years.

• Sad
That will be awful! Isn't that was waiters make in expensive places like Los Angeles?

I dont think its going to be out of the realm of reason. The more a company can exploit an over-saturation, the more they will! So if every year we graduate ~15,000 students and only need ~4000, they will drop salaries again. By 2025 can you imagine how many pharmacists will be banging on doors to work? And remember, this has been going on for a long time now! there are so many pharmacists out there, there is simply no place for ALL of them....and soon ALL is going to be MOST ........thats when the stuff hits the fan.

Idk, but I call and raise you to $21/hr.

Anyone feel like applying and stringing the company along. I might send a fake resume to get a phone interview. Then if I get accepted to an in-person interview I wouldn't show up. Or maybe hire some guy on craiglist to show up and totally bomb the interview.

• Haha
These “new” graduates are HORRIBLE. No social skills at all. So 15,000 grads when probably 10,000 of them suck. Companies will find out sooner or later that they can’t depend on these folks to run their business efficiently and effectively.

These “new” graduates are HORRIBLE. No social skills at all. So 15,000 grads when probably 10,000 of them suck. Companies will find out sooner or later that they can’t depend on these folks to run their business efficiently and effectively.
You don’t need social skills when the future of retail pharmacy is telepharmacy via kiosks (for those those are lucky enough to still be employed). Techs can provide all that customer service stuff while kiosk pharmacists can focus on their “clinical” duties such as providing 100 consultations/hour.

You don’t need social skills when the future of retail pharmacy is telepharmacy via kiosks (for those those are lucky enough to still be employed). Techs can provide all that customer service stuff while kiosk pharmacists can focus on their “clinical” duties such as providing 100 consultations/hour.

Buddy, consultations require social skills. Great social skills actually, if you are going to provide 100/hour.

Reactions: 6 users
Buddy, consultations require social skills. Great social skills actually, if you are going to provide 100/hour.
Not really dude. Have you ever worked in an MTM call center? Ain’t nobody in the mindset to exchange pleasantries or dawdle with their conversations when you got to hit those metrics. If anything, you’ll learn real quick how to cut people off or redirect the conversation. Plus, the intro and farewell are all scripted. Just need a warm body to actually have the conversation with the patient.

Reactions: 5 users
Northeast city -$59 FT float 72hr. With much opportunity to pick up hours.

Scam and king , i like ya both, but im siding with king on this one. You cannot remove the HUMAN element entirely from medicine........it must always remain. And he's 100% right about these youger grads. I see it, my pals see it.....it's like a plague. They will not have the skillset to manage for sure as they can barely keep the pharamcy afloat just staffing. And, It is an issue of psychological under-development due to the social media life style. There is very little human interaction for these kids growing up. They don't develop emotionally like we did man.... they dont learn first hand how to expereince love, hugs, friendships, but also hardships of pain and suffering. They lack "coping skills"....

Remember when you used to bike to your friends house like 10 miles away and then go do crazy stuff and have a ball? AND we did it without 30 refelctors on our bike, no helmets, elbow pads, knee pads or any safety gear for that matter......these poor kids today never get out, and if they do you have to strap them into a bike with 1000 safety devices...LMAO....youn gotta learn how to get banged up in life and get back on your bike. it builds character.

Reactions: 4 users
Scam and king , i like ya both, but im siding with king on this one. You cannot remove the HUMAN element entirely from medicine........it must always remain. And he's 100% right about these youger grads. I see it, my pals see it.....it's like a plague. They will not have the skillset to manage for sure as they can barely keep the pharamcy afloat just staffing. And, It is an issue of psychological under-development due to the social media life style. There is very little human interaction for these kids growing up. They don't develop emotionally like we did man.... they dont learn first hand how to expereince love, hugs, friendships, but also hardships of pain and suffering. They lack "coping skills"....

Remember when you used to bike to your friends house like 10 miles away and then go do crazy stuff and have a ball? AND we did it without 30 refelctors on our bike, no helmets, elbow pads, knee pads or any safety gear for that matter......these poor kids today never get out, and if they do you have to strap them into a bike with 1000 safety devices...LMAO....youn gotta learn how to get banged up in life and get back on your bike. it builds character.
Yeah kids don’t go outside and play in the parks with other kids these days. Instead, they “play” with other kids by becoming Twitch streamers or Youtube artists where they are used to talking to a computer screen with no real in-person connection to their audiences. Do you not think this skill translates to being a telepharmacist?

Edit: Also, we are discussing social skills specific to consultations here. I agree with you 100% about the lack of social skills to manage, but if you’re a telepharmacist in a box then managing a pharmacy is definitely not on your list of accountabilities.

Last edited:
Thats independant though ya know? they dont have the bucks to keep up with the big guys...... its always like that. still sad though.....

And according to Sparda, an independent pharmacist can watch Netflix on his phone 75% of the day, so that is a huge benefit!

Vast majority of pharmacists do not belong to a union. That is the market responding to over saturation.

Yeah kids don’t go outside and play in the parks with other kids these days. Instead, they “play” with other kids by becoming Twitch streamers or Youtube artists where they are used to talking to a computer screen with no real in-person connection to their audiences. Do you not think this skill translates to being a telepharmacist?

Edit: Also, we are discussing social skills specific to consultations here. I agree with you 100% about the lack of social skills to manage, but if you’re a telepharmacist in a box then managing a pharmacy is definitely not on your list of accountabilities.

Well, talking to a computer screen is one thing, but having to answer another human beings very personal questions about health, wellness....etc. is another. They may not be able to respond appropriately. only time will tell.

"coping skills" man.... i've heard from my pals in florida some of these kids walking off the job. One guy went outside and sat on the curb on broward blvd, lauderdale, put his hands over his face for a bit.... quit a week later....lol he said " your store is so hard" .... all that money, time, education and that is the result? man thats bad.....

That will be awful! Isn't that was waiters make in expensive places like Los Angeles?

Possibly but those are the top tier in the profession. The average waiter makes much less. Plus they don't get all the benefits like vacation time, sick time, health/dental/vision, 401k, etc.

Their not gonna stop until we are PRN, no benefits, just a waste of time job.

Wags just cut my area to $48, cvs cut from $60 to $55

Wm is down to 50$ or less for staff's .... i dunno about managers though. They started me as PIC, at 70$ in early 2017 before the cuts, so i assume my head is on the chopping block. I bet 60-65 is the manager rate now. With much less PTO than the 180 hours they gave me from day 1. and it's going to go over 200 assuming i'm not let go or performanced out by next year.....

Just got some numbers from some new grads in Midwest $51 staff/float WAG, $60 for PIC CVS.

These numbers... They ain't looking so good :rolleyes: I wonder what the bottom will be... if there will be a bottom.
Wonder if down the line I'll be on the chopping block for having graduated last year :laugh: