New pharmacist wannabe: HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2DEG

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all:

I am currently taking post-bacc courses at NCSU as a part-time student. I am hoping to shoot for 2005 or 2006 PharmD programs.

My undergrad was in Electrical & Computer Engineering.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice as to how best to prepare for PCAT. What are some good books? Are there any classes like Kaplan offers for MCAT?

Some general advice would be great. I am thinking about taking an old GRE book I have (never took GRE myself), and start studying on the verbal sections.

Thanks in advance. I hope to hear from someone soon. Please kindly email me at [email protected]

Thanks again and have a great day.

Shahab

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by shahab
Hi all:

I am currently taking post-bacc courses at NCSU as a part-time student. I am hoping to shoot for 2005 or 2006 PharmD programs.

My undergrad was in Electrical & Computer Engineering.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice as to how best to prepare for PCAT. What are some good books? Are there any classes like Kaplan offers for MCAT?

Some general advice would be great. I am thinking about taking an old GRE book I have (never took GRE myself), and start studying on the verbal sections.

Thanks in advance. I hope to hear from someone soon. Please kindly email me at [email protected]

Thanks again and have a great day.

Shahab

You can definitely find some PCAT books online at Amazon.com or Barns&Nobles.com. I bought Barrons and Arco Pcat last time. The practice questions in Barrons were easier than those in Arco Pcat. The books were okay, not really really good. I didn't think the PCAT Nov 2002 was particularly difficult, but I think the difficulty varies. I guess I got lucky. You'll need to answer questions very quickly during the test. Since you weren't a pre-pharmacy student, I think you should review general chemistry, organic chemistry, and human physiology. The math shouldn't be a problem for you. Good Luck. :cool:

Clachan

Hi Shahab,
It's great that you're interested in getting a Pharm.D. I'm not too familiar with engineering programs, but I think a lot of the pharmacy schools do require all candidates to meet their pre-pharmacy education requirement. Every pharmacy school has their own pre-pharmacy requirement, so I think you should check with the schools that you are interested. They didn't have any physics at all when I took the PCAT. They only have vocabulary, comprehension, chemistry and math. It's a good idea to study the GRE wordlist, I could have scored a lot better in the vocab section if I did. You can go to http://marketplace.psychcorp.com/PsychCorp.com/Cultures/en-US/dotCom/PCATWEB.INFO.htm to find out more about the test. I hope the link works. Have you been getting some email response from the studentdoctor.net forum? I'm sure a lot of us have PCAT experience. I hope this helps :)

Clachan