New Pharmacy School Opening in Buffalo, NY!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmacistApril

Pre-Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.ncpanet.org/ownership/map/newyork.php

School of Pharmacy Opening 2006/2007
Medaille College
18 Agassiz Circle
Buffalo, NY 14214
phone: 800.292.1582
www.medaille.edu

I have already researched the website they don't have any information yet they probably won't be opening next year, maybe the following year. I think everything is still under wraps and in the works. My friend at work told me she read an article about it so everything is really premature. Medaille College is very small so they may be accepting like 50-60 people their first year when they open. This is really exciting because Buffalo is my backdoor.

Members don't see this ad.

they still haven't found a founding dean

they still haven't found a founding dean

I don't know alot about Pharmacy school operations. So are you saying that if they don't find a founding dean the school can't open?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know alot about Pharmacy school operations. So are you saying that if they don't find a founding dean the school can't open?

yes Im pretty sure you need a dean as well as many other things.. curriculum outline, professors, budget ect.. before you can apply for precandidate status, and you have to have precandidate status before you can accept students. Then you have to pass a few more inspections and graduate your first class to get candidate status.. then another board meets and you should get accredited.

getting granted precandidate status is the hardest part..

Actually - the NCPA website has made a mistake - and it is a BIG ONE!

There is NO new school planning to open at Medaille. Instead - there is one to open at D'Youville College.

Here is the posting for the founding dean.

http://www.dyc.edu/hr/career_listing.asp

Wow.......wrong school.....same location........Great News! Thanks!

i thought it was at D'youville but thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. But anyways, like i said, no founding dean yet. Thats a big step. The western new york area is going to be churning out a lot of pharmacists in the near future. But then again, UB and LECOM are excellent schools in their own right. St John Fisher seems to be on their way too. Maybe this school won't be as competitive?

buffalo is a smaller city, but the county that it's in has almost a million residents. if you count niagara county (the falls are only 20 min away), it pushes the buffalo-niagara metro population over 1 million. rochester's ~45 min away, i also think there are some pharmacy students from canada that come over, and toronto metro is 4 million+ people (and growing quickly) and 1.5 hours north, though there are 2 pharmacy schools in the province of ontario that i'm aware of. so there's a pretty concentrated population of people within a 2 hour radius of buffalo.

also considering buffalo is a relatively inexpensive place to live, start up costs may be less here? maybe salaries for staff and faculty may not be as high as other areas? d'youville's a small school too, maybe they're looking to have a consistent revenue stream from students and alums who will be making $$$ in the future so they have a smaller chance of closing in the future in a city which is losing population rather quickly.