New PharmDs compared to BSPharm/RPh Practitioners...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPharm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PharmDs more competent and professional compared to BSPharm/RPh? It seems like the new PharmDs are better and caring practitioners than the olden days RPhs from my point of view. Go PharmDs of our generation! :thumbup: We are part of the "Golden" Age of pharmacy!

Members don't see this ad.

DrPharm said:
PharmDs more competent and professional compared to BSPharm/RPh? It seems like the new PharmDs are better and caring practitioners than the olden days RPhs from my point of view. Go PharmDs of our generation! :thumbup: We are part of the "Golden" Age of pharmacy!

Not true at all...I used to work with this one guy..He's just a BSPharm, but he works a lot better than a lot of PharmDs.

DrPharm said:

i beg to differ. I have grown up knowing B.Pharms. for most of my life - and I can give you a mile high list of B.Pharms that are as competent and professional as any other PharmD out there. They have given me inspiration to take this career and help it evolve into something more. How many "olden days RPhs" have you worked with to give you this point of view?

And besides.. you're pissing the #*$% out of me - you just dissed my dad and half of my family. +pissed+

Members don't see this ad :)
DrPharm said:
It seems like the new PharmDs are better and caring practitioners than the olden days RPhs from my point of view.

I have to take exception with this. Older pharmacists got into pharmacy largely because it interested them. The money wasn't really much better than any other field until recently.

Today's crop of pharmacy students are largely comprised of people chasing the 6-figure paycheck. I'm sure they'll be technically competent, but I really doubt they'll be any more caring.

pharmaz88 said:
I have to take exception with this. Older pharmacists got into pharmacy largely because it interested them. The money wasn't really much better than any other field until recently.

Today's crop of pharmacy students are largely comprised of people chasing the 6-figure paycheck. I'm sure they'll be technically competent, but I really doubt they'll be any more caring.

agreed. There'll always be people who suck for money...

DrPharm said:

Bull S H I T

That's all I have to say about dat...

ZpackSux said:
Bull S H I T

That's all I have to say about dat...
Aww c'mon. Doesn't it make you warm and fuzzy to be told that you are inferior, even though you have oodles of invaluble practical experience lacking in brand new PharmD graduates? I know it would make ME warm and fuzzy. Or, maybe that's the fifth of vodka I just had for breakfast... ;)

The pharmacists I work with are BS/RPh's and they kick ass.

bananaface said:
Aww c'mon. Doesn't it make you warm and fuzzy to be told that you are inferior, even though you have oodles of invaluble practical experience lacking in brand new PharmD graduates? I know it would make ME warm and fuzzy. Or, maybe that's the fifth of vodka I just had for breakfast... ;)

Make me warm and fuzzy? I'm speaking on behalf of all the BS/RPH I have worked with and work with... since USC hasn't graducated a BS/Pharm in 3 decades or so... oh..did y'all know that USC invented PharmD? :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

bananaface said:

you drink vodka?

The BS/RPh. is pretty much the same as the PharmD, so there is not much difference btw the two like most of you guys are implying. However, the quality of pharmacy programs may be changing for the better and I cant comment on that part. After working almost 3 yrs. now as a CPhT., I have noticed that those pharmacists working in retail forget most everything once in practice. Everything is so automated now that the pharmacist can use the computer system to check for errors,side effects, and indications of usage. Giving advice on OTC products is on a daily basis and it seems that this knowledge is kept good. Obviously any college graduate is going to forget things, but I as a customer and patient would not want my local pharmacist to be as incompetant as they are. Maybe, my area in Tampa, FL has something to do with it, but ,most of these guys and gals at Eckerd/CVS are glorified techs that get payed 45 bucks an hour. I have worked with 3 graduates from UF though (2 young,1 older who owned his own pharmacy-real smart guy) who are very knowledgeable and awesome PharmD's. I think the problem is that Eckerds hires anyone with a license. Now that I work in a large hospital as an iv/infusion tech, all the pharmacists are great and knowledgeble cause they actually use what they learned in school. Maybe i'm isolated or something but im guessing ive worked with 20+ pharmacists that were mostly just final checkers who had their license on the line if anyone screwed up. Im sorry if this post offended anyone wanting to go into retail, but I believe so strongly that retail is NOT for those who want a mentally stimulating career or one that you actually use what you learned in pharm school. Like I stated in an earlier post, it scares me to know that most of the pharmacists dont know a damn thing about the angiotensin-aldosterone system and their patients who are on ace inhibitors and diuretics. Or those taking potassium supplements and on maxzide/dyazide. I only hope you guys/gals will change the pharmacy community for the better with knowledgeble professionals that can put meaning into why the pharmacist is the drug expert.