new practice questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scumlee13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Long time lurker here. I'm aware I can search the forums and I have but some of the information is somewhat dated, in particular software.
I am planning to open a new pain practice and would appreciate some advice if any of you who own or run a pain practice can provide some answers

What EMR system are you using and what are they charging? Kareo, Athena? Others? Does it do it all? Scheduling, charting, billing? What do you like about it or not like about it?
What do you use for practice website hosting? Practice management software solutions? Has anyone used patientpop? Cost?
Did anyone use a credentialing company? Costs?
C-arm and table recommendations and costs? Rent or rent-to-own or payment plans?
Any suggestions on in-office procedure demo videos for the waiting room? Costs?
Suppliers? Henry Schein, Mckesson, Medline, Clint?
Recommendations on radiofrequency machines and cannula/probes? Costs?
How do you do urine toxicology testing? Did you outsource to labs for for quantitative testing? Clia test cups for in house testing? Any other recommendations? Costs?
Any lease provisions or contingencies for the office space? Contingent on business license or Medicare/commercial insurance credentialing?
Is there anything else I'm forgetting?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, way too much info to type there. Happy to help if you want to talk, PM me and we’ll connect.

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone else able to weigh in on at least some parts of the questions? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone. Long time lurker here. I'm aware I can search the forums and I have but some of the information is somewhat dated, in particular software.
I am planning to open a new pain practice and would appreciate some advice if any of you who own or run a pain practice can provide some answers

What EMR system are you using and what are they charging? Kareo, Athena? Others? Does it do it all? Scheduling, charting, billing? What do you like about it or not like about it? Still figuring this out. EMR quotes I have received: Kareo $500, DrChrono $500, Eclinical $650+implementation, Aprima $550+implementation, Epic $14000 implementation and $7092/year, Nextgen $650+, Carecloud $599 + $199 for advanced patient portal. Free on paper and can use OfficeAlly for $29 for billing

What do you use for practice website hosting? Practice management software solutions? Has anyone used patientpop? Cost?
Did anyone use a credentialing company? Costs? People I have talked to from other specialties don't like patient pop due to lack of response. Also feel zocdoc is expensive depending on geography. Many EMRs also have practice management included.

C-arm and table recommendations and costs? Rent or rent-to-own or payment plans?
Dotmed.com for used equipment and mentioned on here before. Also, lease to own or financing i think would be better than to perpetually rent.

Any suggestions on in-office procedure demo videos for the waiting room? Costs?

Suppliers? Henry Schein, Mckesson, Medline, Clint? Join one of the group purchasing though ASIPP or SIS

Recommendations on radiofrequency machines and cannula/probes? Costs? If you do stim, you can get a generator essentially for free unless you want a stryker. Medtronic has a new generator that I am trying to get for the hospital. It has the option of doing cooled if and when that makes financial sense.

How do you do urine toxicology testing? Did you outsource to labs for for quantitative testing? Clia test cups for in house testing? Any other recommendations? Costs? we outsource to hospital lab

Any lease provisions or contingencies for the office space? make sure your lease affords you exclusivity or first right of refusal. also the ability to expand into an adjacent space if it is available. Negotiate tenant improvement dollars for build-out.

Contingent on business license or Medicare/commercial insurance credentialing?
Is there anything else I'm forgetting?
We are trying to be as paperless as possible. This includes efax. Drchrono includes some. Aprima uses kno2. there are other options.

if you accept credit cards, shop around for rates.
also shop around for banks and the rates and perks they would give.

See if the hospital you have privileges with has an ACO or PHO and see what is required and possibly get in on PHO contracts. maybe good or not. Some of the others can chime in on this. Can look into a local independent physicians association as well.

Everyone on this forum is a wealth of information. They may not always agree but everyone means well. Most of the information I needed was already on this forum when I used the search function.

Just my two cents

Reactions: 1 user
Patient pop is solid. I have been using it for 6 months now with great results. Pm and I can put you in touch with the representative that set me up.