new pre-med website

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jwtaylor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am in the planning phases for launching a webpage that offers comprehensive information about the field of medicine to potential pre-meds and people just interested in medicine as a career. i know that when i first became interested in medicine i was intimidated by all of the information, terminology, and other things (such as the application process), i intend to take things from a very basic level and explain the ins and outs along the way from freshman year (college) to medical school as well as some of the hardships experienced by physicians now-a-days. it will also offer a wealth of interviews from practicing physicians as well as words of advice. im using this forum to inquire about any other topics that any of you wish you would have known about when you started considering medicine....any suggestions??

Members don't see this ad.

just announce when its ready and how to get there

Sounds like a good idea. You'll be competing with Student Doctor Network because of significant content overlap, of course, but that's not a bad thing. You mention including interviews and tips from practicing physicians, which--if you could accomplish it--would be of great service to the premed community. So much of the advice provided is of the "blind leading the blind" sort.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got started on such a site! I'm first going to complete it through Angelfire and then go on to get a real website name through my dad. I just didn't want to start taking up space when it wasn't completed. And at the rate I'm going, I may not even get to do more on it until the spring. I'm taking Histology and my senior seminar this semester among other things and I have two jobs. Yikes! If you want to work together or end up linking each other, let me know. I'm new to the website biz, but I'm picking it up pretty quickly. At first, I didn't know anything about HTML but I studied it for awhile (I'm not a pro yet...very simple HTML for now) and now I have the site with all of the pages set up pretty nicely. There's just not any content for the most part...yet. I have started a pretty comprehensive page about the MCAT study tips and links to good sites and free practice tests!

I was planning on making a website that details my application progress at some point later this fall. I've seen some in the past, but no good ones exist right now... sort of a like a super-MDapplicants page.

the only problem i have with SDN is the fact that some of the terminology people use to answer questions is confusing and just inspires more questions, im going to cut through all of that and explain things as well as i need to. i dont view competition as a bad thing, if my website drives people to put better information on their website and vice versa with mine than thats a great accomplishment, there can never be too much information.

There are SO MANY repetative posts on here. For example:

Why MD vs. DO?

What classes should I take to help prepare for the MCAT?

If I'm taking the August MCAT, do I wait for scores before I apply?

How do Letters of Recommendation work? What's a pre-med committee? Do I send them all myself, have the professor send them, or what?

What schools should I apply to? What state schools take a lot of out-of-state applicants?

What should I do with my year off?

What should I wear to an interview? What do I say if they ask a question I don't know the answer to?

What's a good job for Pre-Meds? How do I start shadowing?

All this waiting sucks, doesn't it?

Whose MCAT materials are the best? Should I take a course or save my cash?

Are Ivy Leagues better than other schools?

The list goes on and on...