new pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ms6

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've posted in the post-bac section as well, for advice on post-bacs.

But i'm new to the whole pre-med world. I just decided a few months ago to go into medicine. I haven't done any of my pre-med reqs yet. I've started taking a biology class at a local JC, and am trying to get into more for next quarter. I've started researching at the Stanford VA as well.

But what else can i do that will put me in contention for a good school. I need flexibility of choice when i apply, because my significant other will be applying to grad school as well, and we would like to live together ideally. We are prepared for the possibility of long-distance, but I want to get my resume to a point where we won't have to. I am planning to take the MCAt april 2006, and start applying that june if all goes well.

Any advice, tips, help you can give is fabulous! I live in the Bay Area, so any specific help would be MUCH MUCH appreciated!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

ms6 said:
Hi all,

I've posted in the post-bac section as well, for advice on post-bacs.

But i'm new to the whole pre-med world. I just decided a few months ago to go into medicine. I haven't done any of my pre-med reqs yet. I've started taking a biology class at a local JC, and am trying to get into more for next quarter. I've started researching at the Stanford VA as well.

But what else can i do that will put me in contention for a good school. I need flexibility of choice when i apply, because my significant other will be applying to grad school as well, and we would like to live together ideally. We are prepared for the possibility of long-distance, but I want to get my resume to a point where we won't have to. I am planning to take the MCAt april 2006, and start applying that june if all goes well.

Any advice, tips, help you can give is fabulous! I live in the Bay Area, so any specific help would be MUCH MUCH appreciated!

Thanks!

hey ms6,

if you are looking for a post bac program, i know a good one is the mills program in oakland (maybe the other side of the bay from you if you live on the peninsula). when i was interviewing at harvard, there were two other people interviewing there that did the mills program. not sure what the details are about that, so maybe you could look that up on the internet.

also, the research at the VA sounds good, but if you don't already have any clinical experience, getting some would definitely strengthen your application. and leadership in anything you are involved in would help too.

good luck. :luck: