new pre-opt student here!

Started by PharmDr.
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PharmDr.

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well....I just shadowed a retail OD and was real impressed. I absolutely loved the experience and the OD was very friendly and excited about having me there. I have another appointment with an OD's run office specializing in ocular disease which sounds real cool. To tell you about myself a little I have been working in as a certified pharmacy tech now for 2 years at CVS and hate it for reasons you all are probally aware of. I was set on becoming a pharmacist out of highschool but after working in a retail pharmacy, I thought about other health professions. I then figured that what I was looking for was to diagnose and treat diseases. Naturally, I thought about MD/DO but after talking to various docs they all said they would be a PA/NP . I then got set on nursing and got in to Novas program just recently. Just had a eye exam and thought what about this? I absolutely love how it is a very low stress job, very satisfying, well paid, and in medical field. I use to always get Rx from Dr. that had O.D. after their name for various opthalmic soln. and use to always think they had no scrpit rights. Wow, that was a long post but I just wanted to say how excited I am about optometry. Its funny..but I had no clue just how much O.D.s learn in school. I think other medical professions just dont realize what the curriculum consists of. I read that there is 2 board exams plus liscensure req.
 
Welcome aboard!! 🙂 Glad to hear you're as excited about joining the profession as all of us on this forum are. 😀 Good luck in your optometric endeavors! 😉
 
thank you....hope to add to the pro-optometry side. I agree with some posts I have read regarding optometry as the hidden great profession in the medical community.