new pre-opt student here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDr.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well....I just shadowed a retail OD and was real impressed. I absolutely loved the experience and the OD was very friendly and excited about having me there. I have another appointment with an OD's run office specializing in ocular disease which sounds real cool. To tell you about myself a little I have been working in as a certified pharmacy tech now for 2 years at CVS and hate it for reasons you all are probally aware of. I was set on becoming a pharmacist out of highschool but after working in a retail pharmacy, I thought about other health professions. I then figured that what I was looking for was to diagnose and treat diseases. Naturally, I thought about MD/DO but after talking to various docs they all said they would be a PA/NP . I then got set on nursing and got in to Novas program just recently. Just had a eye exam and thought what about this? I absolutely love how it is a very low stress job, very satisfying, well paid, and in medical field. I use to always get Rx from Dr. that had O.D. after their name for various opthalmic soln. and use to always think they had no scrpit rights. Wow, that was a long post but I just wanted to say how excited I am about optometry. Its funny..but I had no clue just how much O.D.s learn in school. I think other medical professions just dont realize what the curriculum consists of. I read that there is 2 board exams plus liscensure req.

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome aboard!! :) Glad to hear you're as excited about joining the profession as all of us on this forum are. :D Good luck in your optometric endeavors! ;)

thank you....hope to add to the pro-optometry side. I agree with some posts I have read regarding optometry as the hidden great profession in the medical community.