New Pre-pharmacy Club...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UTCPharm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school has no prepharmacy organization or prepharm club of any kind. This makes it tough to get in touch with other students who are in the same boat as you. (Unless you use SDN!!) A lot of prepharm students declare another major like Bio or Chem, so you have no way of knowing who else is going through the same stuff. Plus, if we had an actual organization we could do things like campus visits, get pharmacists to come speak, etc. Anyhow, I'm thinking of trying to start a pre-pharmacy club at my school. Do you guys think this would be a helpful/popular thing to have? I would really appreciate any input :)

Members don't see this ad.

UTCPharm said:
My school has no prepharmacy organization or prepharm club of any kind. This makes it tough to get in touch with other students who are in the same boat as you. (Unless you use SDN!!) A lot of prepharm students declare another major like Bio or Chem, so you have no way of knowing who else is going through the same stuff. Plus, if we had an actual organization we could do things like campus visits, get pharmacists to come speak, etc. Anyhow, I'm thinking of trying to start a pre-pharmacy club at my school. Do you guys think this would be a helpful/popular thing to have? I would really appreciate any input :)

Starting a pharm club, you have to put out a lot of ur times, WHERE ARE UR STUDY TIME? think about it, it is the grade its matter over extraactivies

WorcesterPHOBoy said:
Starting a pharm club, you have to put out a lot of ur times, WHERE ARE UR STUDY TIME? think about it, it is the grade its matter over extraactivies
Boy....that sure was insightful. Anyhow, I was looking more for how you guys think prepharm students would respond to it rather than how good it would look on my application. I just don't want to go to the effort of starting a club if no one would participate. So what do you guys think? If your school had a prepharmacy club would you be a part of it? Or does anyone go to a school that has one and wanna share their experience with it?

Members don't see this ad :)
UTCPharm said:
Boy....that sure was insightful. Anyhow, I was looking more for how you guys think prepharm students would respond to it rather than how good it would look on my application. I just don't want to go to the effort of starting a club if no one would participate. So what do you guys think? If your school had a prepharmacy club would you be a part of it? Or does anyone go to a school that has one and wanna share their experience with it?

I think it is a good idea. My school has a very active pre-pharmacy club. I mean you must belong to the club to be considered for admission into the professional program : :oops:

I do think it's a good idea. Plus healthcare is about helping other people; starting a pre pharmacy club with the intention of helping other pre pharm students shows a lot about your character. That is golden and will surely shine through regardless of grades. Good luck with that.

Oh, and yes I would join.

UCF started its first Pre-Pharmacy Society this semester. I joined up and it has tons of interest from all the science majors. You need to contact your student government and try to find a faculty member to sponser your club. Turns out our sponsor has tons of experience in pharmacy and actually teaches Intro to Pharmacology and Medical Pharmacy I/II... so he has pharmacy connections that may lead to shadowing opportunities and guest speakers.

If you have the initiative and time to do this than you should certainly do it. You might start something that lasts LONG after you graduate.

Thanks to all you guys for the encouraging words. I really want to try to make this happen at my school. It just really bugs me how isolated from other pre-pharmacy students I have felt; we just don't have a good way to get together without a club or something. Ethyl, thanks for the tips on getting a club started. What exactly does it mean for a professor to "sponsor" a club? Do you just have to find someone who is willing to basically be a chaperone or what? If anybody has any more info on what you need to do to get a club going, I would greatly appreciate it!

I'm not completely sure about the procedure but I believe a requirement is to have a faculty sponsor. The Pre-preprofessional society and almost every other club I know has a professor sponsor. I'm sure you could visit your student government's office and they could fill you in on everything you need.