New pro-physician anesthesia organization.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panetrain

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a great site/resource to link to your current group's anesthesia webpage, hospital webpage, state anesthesia organization webpage, PAC webpage etc..., and will aid patients in becoming educated on who may be providing their anesthesia, why it matters and the fact that they have a choice. :thumbup::thumbup:

www.doctorbyyourside.org

Members don't see this ad.

Nice
I like the way this website makes very clear the distinction between doctor and nurse. This is the way I outline my patients care to them pre-op. I explain that "I am the anesthesia doctor and am responsible for getting my patients out of the OR safae, alive, and comfortable," and that " I work with a specialized nurse that sits in the room watching every heartbeat, and is there to inform me of any changes or problems so that I can come in and diagnose, treat, and lead the anesthesia team"
This site should be recommended to pt before they go in for surgery.

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't it sad that the nursing "profession" has made so it so freaking confusing for patients that websites like these are necessary?

:thumbup:

Why stop at just anesthesia? Detail the differences between physician training vs. NP's.

Keep a list of malpractice cases by APN's like the one below. Make it a one-stop place for consumers to see what can happen if they entrust their life to autonomous NP's and CRNA's.

Louisiana's limit on medical malpractice awards is unconstitutional, a state appeals court ruled.
Joe and Helena Oliver sought relief from the Louisiana Medical Malpractice Act, which shrank the damage award they received from $6.2 million to $500,000. The Olivers' daughter, Taylor, developed severe injuries after she was treated by a nurse who was practicing with only a high school degree.
Susan Duhon, a registered nurse practitioner and sole owner of the Magnolia Clinic, treated Taylor for vomiting, nausea and diarrhea.
Taylor visited the clinic 32 times in the first year of her life, and Duhon prescribed more than 30 medications to her. Duhon had a statutory duty to consult a physician, but Taylor never saw a doctor during any of her visits.
When Taylor was 14 months old, another hospital diagnosed her with neuroblastoma, a childhood cancer. One of the signs is severe bruising around the eyes, which Taylor had presented with at the Magnolia Clinic when she was 6 months old.
If neuroblastoma is diagnosed within the first year of life, the child has a 90 percent chance of an event-free recovery. Because of the delayed diagnosis, the quality of Taylor's life has been severely diminished.
Though Taylor survived the cancer, the tumor caused her head to become misshapen. Her eyes are abnormally large, and she is legally blind.
"Currently, to qualify as a nurse practitioner, a nurse is required to obtain a baccalaureate of science and a masters of science in nursing," the ruling states. "Although Ms. Duhon did not obtain any degree in nursing from an institution of higher learning, she was allowed to escape the more rigorous requirements enacted by statute with only a high school degree, under the 'grandfathered' exception."
The Olivers won their medical malpractice lawsuit, but their $6.2 million award shrank to less than one-twelfth of its original size under the state law.
The trial court ruled in the clinic's favor, but the Lake Charles-based appeals court agreed with the Olivers that the cap on malpractice damages is unconstitutional.
"The state offered no evidence in this case...to refute the fact that the cap discriminates against Taylor and her parents by limiting their general damage recovery to a single $500,000 payment, while allowing other less severely injured victims to fully recover their general damage awards," Judge Sylvia Cooks wrote in the court's lead opinion.
Two other judges on the court wrote concurring opinions, and Judge Shannon Gremillion dissented.​

Last edited:
its great that we have that website...im wondering why we haven't heard about it 'till now. either way, great to know its there.

Anybody know who sponsors it? Is it an ASA project?

I thought it might be, but a quick check of their check against the ASA checklist shows they're completely different. A google search for "doctor by your side" lists the ASA as the first hit, but it's not clear that the ASA site actually contains that language. In any case, we should all consider signing up and joining the effort. I suspect they'll be asking for $$$ at some point.

This is a great site/resource to link to your current group's anesthesia webpage, hospital webpage, state anesthesia organization webpage, PAC webpage etc..., and will aid patients in becoming educated on who may be providing their anesthesia, why it matters and the fact that they have a choice. :thumbup::thumbup:

www.doctorbyyourside.org

Awesome!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Very well written, it's nice to finally see something like this out there. I really like the graphical representation of the difference in training - it really makes it easy to see the difference.

Very well written, it's nice to finally see something like this out there. I really like the graphical representation of the difference in training - it really makes it easy to see the difference.

i agree, it's very easy to navigate for someone unfamiliar with healthcare...

i mean, facts are facts...the AANA has put so much spin out there that anesthesiologists are almost afraid to state the facts ;

physician anesthesia training>>>>>>CRNA training.

however, i give it maybe 1 week tops before the AANA says something about this.

I don't like this paragraph: " Anyone who administers anesthesia is called an anesthetist. This can be an Anesthesiologist or a non-physician such as a nurse anesthetist or an anesthesia assistant (AA)."

I'm not an anesthetist of any kind - i've never called myself that and never will. I am an anesthesiologist plain and simple.

Nor this: "My plastic surgeon uses a nurse anesthetist and supervises the anesthesia himself. Is this safe?
Most surgeons never receive any anesthesia specific training since anesthesia is an elective rotation in medical school."

How about amending that to read "No surgeon receives any anesthesia specific training..." Having taken a month-long anesthesia rotation during medical school doesn't constitute anesthesia training of ANY sort.

technically speaking, you are anesthetist -- most countries outside of the US refer to anesthesiologists as anesthetists (for the most part, anesthetist outside of the US means physician). but of course other places don't have this problem with CRNAs.

technically speaking, you are anesthetist -- most countries outside of the US refer to anesthesiologists as anesthetists (for the most part, anesthetist outside of the US means physician). but of course other places don't have this problem with CRNAs.

Technically speaking, i am not an anesthetist. In the US - which is the only place that matters to me since it's the only country in which i practice - we don't use that word to refer to phycisians. So i still don't like that paragraph and think it should be changed.

Off topic, but congrats on starting medical school at KU.

I don't like this paragraph: " Anyone who administers anesthesia is called an anesthetist. This can be an Anesthesiologist or a non-physician such as a nurse anesthetist or an anesthesia assistant (AA)."

I'm not an anesthetist of any kind - i've never called myself that and never will. I am an anesthesiologist plain and simple.

Nor this: "My plastic surgeon uses a nurse anesthetist and supervises the anesthesia himself. Is this safe?
Most surgeons never receive any anesthesia specific training since anesthesia is an elective rotation in medical school."

How about amending that to read "No surgeon receives any anesthesia specific training..." Having taken a month-long anesthesia rotation during medical school doesn't constitute anesthesia training of ANY sort.

I'd be careful with that last statement, because you are by extension invalidating the last 2 years of med school. You could extrapolate that to then say that we don't have surgical, medical, or pediatric training of ANY sort during medical school since all our rotations are 1-2 months, which I think most of us would disagree with.

www.doctorbyyourside.org

Awesome! I'm ready to donate. The website should be made a sticky. Add this one too: http://www.lifelinetomodernmedicine.com/

Last edited:
How do we get this site to become more popular with more widespread hits to the public. Something similar should go out as an article in new york times etc to combat that ridiculous aana study.The only way to fight crna dispute is to educate public in differences in education and knowledge and safety in what we do. Then more and more will want a doctor not a nurse. Right now Im realizing in residency majority of patients (over95%) dont have a clue who the doctor is and and many think nurses are the ones that give the anesthesia anyway. BIG problem. Education public should be the crusade in gaining respect and winning our profession back.

How do we get this site to become more popular with more widespread hits to the public. Something similar should go out as an article in new york times etc to combat that ridiculous aana study.

Start surfing and posting its link to all of the patient oriented forums discussing surgery, OB, plastic remodeling, etc. Also post on any site that discusses health matters of any type when someone asks a question about surgery. Advise that they should check out "www.????.org to get some ideas about the anesthesia. Anytime your local newspaper has an article about surgery, or health - post the links in the comment sections. Most people honestly genuinely believe that it is a doctor administering their anesthesia.

This website is definitely a step in the right direction. Please share the site with your facebook and twitter friends. There is a link at the bottom of the page.

Didn't notice this before, thanks for pointing it out. :thumbup:

Done and done.