NEW Q's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PHeller

Asking Q?'s for the GF
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm asking questions on behalf of my girlfriend who I'm trying to help and support through pharmacy school. She's not much for online communities, so she has little interest in a forum designed to help her.

Anyway, she's a Junior at York College in South East Pennsylvania, persuing a Bachelors of Biology, but taking classes that will hopefully transfer to a PharmD program some where else.

However, lately she has been a bit overwhelmed by the difficulty of her fellow CVS co-workers who have applied to Pharmacy Schools like Wilkes, Pitt, Temple, etc, with good GPA's.

She's currently holding a 3.1 GPA, but the classes aren't getting any easier. Having direction and motivation on where she'll go in the next two years would greatly help her morale.

Any general tips for those students who transfering from non-Pharamcy schools in Pharamcy programs?

Could she transfer to a program in Canada, and get PharmD certification in the US?

Members don't see this ad.

use the search tool- or just look around this forum... this question has been answered ad nauseam.

Tell her she needs to learn to help herself instead of sending you to do the grunt work. And just like ^, questions like these have been asked and answered.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm asking questions on behalf of my girlfriend who I'm trying to help and support through pharmacy school. She's not much for online communities, so she has little interest in a forum designed to help her.

Anyway, she's a Junior at York College in South East Pennsylvania, persuing a Bachelors of Biology, but taking classes that will hopefully transfer to a PharmD program some where else.

However, lately she has been a bit overwhelmed by the difficulty of her fellow CVS co-workers who have applied to Pharmacy Schools like Wilkes, Pitt, Temple, etc, with good GPA's.

She's currently holding a 3.1 GPA, but the classes aren't getting any easier. Having direction and motivation on where she'll go in the next two years would greatly help her morale.

Any general tips for those students who transfering from non-Pharamcy schools in Pharamcy programs?

Could she transfer to a program in Canada, and get PharmD certification in the US?

I am not sure I understand your gf's questions correctly.

I am not sure what you mean by transfering to pharmacy school ? Is she trying to transfer into a 0-6 program or is she trying to get admitted into a regular pharmacy school ?

If she is trying to get admitted to a regular school, then what exactly did she do to compensate for her GPA ? What EC activities is she involved in ?

I dont know why some people on this site are so rude. If you guys don't want to answer the question, then DON'T waste your time leaving a useless comment.

Anyway, about your gf... I'd recommend she tries her BEST to raise her GPA (the higher the better, but if she can get to 3.4 that would help her a lot when she applies). If she can't handle a heavy load, tell her to ease up on the classes a little, so she can focus on getting the better grades.

Tell her to get involved in different stuff at school and off campus (like joining the pre-pharmacy club at her school and even better holding a position, like secretary or VP at the club... that will show leadership.... volunteering in the community = like a hospital)... I'd also recommend that she tries to do research for one of the professors at her school, and sticks around long enough to publish something.

She is obviously working in a pharmacy already, which is great. If she can get a pharmacy technician license that would show the pharmacy schools that she is really interested in the field of pharmacy.

Another great tip would be for her to APPLY EARLY. So a year before she is going to start pharmacy school is when she can apply. June 1st is when pharmcas opens, and supplementals for each school follow soon afterwards... so the key is to do quality work on the applications (make sure to highlight ALL of her work/accomplishments)... and send them in wayyyy before the deadlines.

BEST OF LUCK to your gf! :luck:

I think its nice of you to come look for some useful advice for her. I am guessing you just came here - NOT that she is making you do the grunt work for her. I do things like that for my husband too.

Anyway...I think the best thing you can do for her is just encourage her to keep trying and to do her very best. Go to the PCAT forum and search for good PCAT study guides and maybe you could get her one (or a few). Having a solid PCAT score and some good extracurriculars will strengthen her application and offset her GPA somewhat. And encourage her to apply to a variety of schools and not just 1 or 2. If she doesn't get in the first year just encourage her to keep going and not to compare herself to her coworkers because that will only get her down.

Her credits should transfer to most other schools, just contact the specific schools she is interested in applying to. There are 2 seperate phases of pharmacy education: pre-pharmacy and PharmD classes. Right now your GF is in the pre-pharmacy phase so all the classes she takes (pre-requisites) will count towards her GPA that she will apply to a PharmD program with. You can take pre-requisite courses at a school that does not offer a PharmD program. There shouldn't be a problem with her applying to many different schools, but each pharmacy school has their own specific pre-requisites so you need to check with each school.

We recently discovered that York College of Pennsylvania supposedly is working on developing a Pharmacy Program (it would be the only one in South Central PA), and this is where my GF currently goes.

However, she's a junior this year, and the program (if approved) won't go live for another 3-5 years.

What does this mean for her?

It would be very difficult for her to volunteer because of the amount of time she spends on school and work. She's a bit of a workaholic, and she always puts work over everything else, sometimes over school.

Tell her she needs to learn to help herself instead of sending you to do the grunt work. And just like ^, questions like these have been asked and answered.

That was totally uncalled for, there is nothing wrong with a boyfriend wanting to help his girlfriend succeed in life. If everyone thought like him, the world would be a better place!

The credits that she is taking now will not transfer in as pharmD credits. They will transfer in as prereqs and resume boosters.

We recently discovered that York College of Pennsylvania supposedly is working on developing a Pharmacy Program (it would be the only one in South Central PA), and this is where my GF currently goes.

However, she's a junior this year, and the program (if approved) won't go live for another 3-5 years.

It would be very difficult for her to volunteer because of the amount of time she spends on school and work. She's a bit of a workaholic, and she always puts work over everything else, sometimes over school.

It is wonderful that your gf is such a hard working person, however, she needs to set her priorities straight.

Does she want to earn money or does she want to attend a pharmacy school ? Probably majority of us know first hand what it is like to work and go to school full time. However, volunteering does not necessarily mean working 30 hrs/week, it can be as little as 2-3 hrs/week.

I am going to be honest with you: your gf's GPA is on the lower end of the GPA spectra. Even though plenty of people have gotten in with such GPA, their applications had something else such as EC's that made them stand out against a large pool of applicants and demonstrated to the admission committee members that these people are going to suceed in pharmacy school and that they are caring community-oriented individuals.

To offset the GPA, your gf needs to think of EC activies that will not only strengthen her application but also make her appear as a wholesome well-rounded individual. Maybe she can get involved in some community service, or maybe she is interested in science and wants to get into research. Perhaps she enjoys working with kids and may be able to work as a tutor in HS or middle school.

It's sweet that you are helping your gf, pm me if you have some questions for me, I may be able to help.

Last edited:

Pharmacy school is a professional school, after you get accepted it's another four years. Credits do not transfer, but they help you get accepted.

Her school starting a pharmacy program doesn't really mean much. I would recommend going to the administrator of the proposed pharmacy program and ask for a straight answer as to when they plan on accepting students for the inaugural class.

Pharmacy experience is great, but extra padding from volunteer work would be even better. That being said, if her school work is suffering, then it's probably time for her to take a step back and cut back on hours. Her current gpa isn't bad, but it's not the best either.