New re-applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steiner

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applied for 2005, but got no love. I am already taking the steps to improve my app. Reapplied to my undergrad to get 2nd bachelors in Biology(I have been working on a masters the last two years). Also bought a couple books on writing personal statement. Hopefully the schools that rejected me will give me some feedback on how to improve, and I can use that to make my application better.

Members don't see this ad.

Steiner said:
Applied for 2005, but got no love. I am already taking the steps to improve my app. Reapplied to my undergrad to get 2nd bachelors in Biology(I have been working on a masters the last two years). Also bought a couple books on writing personal statement. Hopefully the schools that rejected me will give me some feedback on how to improve, and I can use that to make my application better.
You're on the right track. Definitely try to get feedback from the schools you applied to. Try to get some feedback from your premed advisor as well.

Why are you considering a second bachelors in Bio? It sounds like a step backwards, given that you're in a graduate program now. What is your current masters program?

ntmed said:
You're on the right track. Definitely try to get feedback from the schools you applied to. Try to get some feedback from your premed advisor as well.

Why are you considering a second bachelors in Bio? It sounds like a step backwards, given that you're in a graduate program now. What is your current masters program?

Exercise Physiology
My first undergraduate degree was in Kinesiology and wasn't really geared towards medical school. My state school doesn't take graduate work into consideration, so I am going back to undergrad to show that I can succeed in difficult science classes and improve my undergrad GPA. Also going back will help me get better clinical experiences through pre-med associations that I don't have the opportunity to be a part of while in Grad school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Steiner said:
Exercise Physiology
My first undergraduate degree was in Kinesiology and wasn't really geared towards medical school. My state school doesn't take graduate work into consideration, so I am going back to undergrad to show that I can succeed in difficult science classes and improve my undergrad GPA. Also going back will help me get better clinical experiences through pre-med associations that I don't have the opportunity to be a part of while in Grad school.

As a fellow Exercise Physiologist I may be able to offer some helpful advise. Ex Phys as you know is a very broad discipline. ie, some graduates choose to enter sports and performance enhancement, and others practice in a clinical setting. I'm not sure about your undergrad institution, but as a student I was given the opportunity to get involved in a variety of clinical research such as organ transplant physiology, resistance training in Multiple Sclerosis and CAD, ect. Furthermore, I have been employed as a clinical exercise physiologist in cardiac rehab from the time I graduated in 2002. So far on my interview trail all of my interviewers were very interested with my experiences as an exercise physiologist. My MCAT score is slightly below average for matriculating students and my GPA is slightly above average. To date I have been on multiple interviews and have been offered multiple acceptances. I honestly feel that my experiences as a physiologist have allowed me to do so well in this year’s application cycle. So get involved in all the clinical activities going on in the Ex Phys labs at your school and do a quality internship prior to graduating. I assure you medical school interviewers don't come across many exercise physiologists and in my experience it will give you a lot to talk about at your interviews. Good luck.

Steiner said:
Exercise Physiology
Thanks for the clarification. And thanks to GATORade for more perspective on Exercise Physiology.

I really don't think that getting another bachelors will help. it's all about the MCAT and GPA. if u already did a masters, i'm sure ur GPA is fine. the PS is def important

virilep said:
I really don't think that getting another bachelors will help. it's all about the MCAT and GPA. if u already did a masters, i'm sure ur GPA is fine. the PS is def important

My state school doesn't look at graduate school grades. They only look at undergraduate. So I decided to go back to my undergrad to show that I can get good grades there. The only reason I am after a second bachelors is because I was only a few classes away from that degree when I graduated the first time, so I figure if I am going to be back at school taking hard classes, I should get the degree anyways. It wont take any extra work by me and it will improve my app, if even a little bit. My MCAT and statement were fine, but my undergrad grades were low.

Steiner said:
My state school doesn't look at graduate school grades. They only look at undergraduate.
It may be reasonable to get a second bachelors as a way to raise your GPA. But completing a post-bacc program or a graduate degree is a more common way to go. If you haven't done so, touch base with your premed advisor about your options (1. second bachelors degree, 2. post-bacc premed program, or 3. graduate degree in biology).

One other point. You state that you're doing this for your state school. You probably shouldn't make this decision based only on one school. Make sure you appy to a large number of schools, at least 18, probably 24 or more.

Best of luck.