New re-applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

senseigmg

IR Fellow 2019-2020
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yo,

So I received only 1 interview this cycle from NYMC, with a rejection this past monday. I'm trying to figure out what else to do to strengthen my app.

Sci: 3.33
Non-sci: 3.54
Overall: 3.39
10/11/11/M

About 1.5 years research in neurology lab
Shadowed the lab's PI (MD/PhD) in his clinic once a week for 5 months
Board member of A.E.D. honor society during senior year
Work 2 nights a week at pathology lab from 5/05-now
Worked in neurology office creating a video learning library of parkinsonian symptoms for students/residents to learn from (1/2 in clinic, 1/2 in office).
Basically run the youth oriented activities at my temple from fall 2002-now
--------------------
New stuff:

Volunteering at the county hospital's ED since January
Internship at the same hospital in the electronic health records dept., helping physicians and nurses with the changeover to a new medical record system (lots of time in clinics)

Should I be looking at taking classes or something this fall? What else can I do, besides apply earlier unlike what I did last year(octoberish)?

Members don't see this ad.

Yo,

So I received only 1 interview this cycle from NYMC, with a rejection this past monday. I'm trying to figure out what else to do to strengthen my app.

Sci: 3.33
Non-sci: 3.54
Overall: 3.39
10/11/11/M

About 1.5 years research in neurology lab
Shadowed the lab's PI (MD/PhD) in his clinic once a week for 5 months
Board member of A.E.D. honor society during senior year
Work 2 nights a week at pathology lab from 5/05-now
Worked in neurology office creating a video learning library of parkinsonian symptoms for students/residents to learn from (1/2 in clinic, 1/2 in office).
Basically run the youth oriented activities at my temple from fall 2002-now
--------------------
New stuff:

Volunteering at the county hospital's ED since January
Internship at the same hospital in the electronic health records dept., helping physicians and nurses with the changeover to a new medical record system (lots of time in clinics)

Should I be looking at taking classes or something this fall? What else can I do, besides apply earlier unlike what I did last year(octoberish)?
What state do you live in?

Where else were you applying to? Only MD schools? Your ECs look pretty good, GPA could be a little higher but I was in the same situation, ~3.3 overall GPA and a similar MCAT. Kind of a hard position to be in because while our MCAT is pretty good, it's not incredible and you wouldn't want to risk anything by taking it again. Really I would say to apply maybe a little more broadly next time, and/or up the GPA a little, if possible, with some post bacc classes. Though, the next app cycle is right around the corner so there's really no time for more classes unless you sit out a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in MN, and I graduated in 2006 w/ a neuroscience major.

I applied to a few in NY, the 2 in NJ, MN, Ros Franklin, Loyola Chicago, Iowa, OHSU, and some more in the New England area. I'm going much broader this year.

The GPA is the thing holding you down. You're above 3.0, so you won't hit up against pre-screens, but you'll have to throw out a lot more apps before you get more than just one or two interviews. If you could improve the 3.33, then that would be better, but you should be good by applying more broadly.

I'll probably apply to at least 25 schools, and much earlier this time.

I know I'll most likely rewrite my p.s., but should I rewrite all my ec's too?

The sticky is awesome, thanks for doing all that work man.

Another question: Would it make sense for me to do something like the NIH IRTA or some other SMP? Considering I've had both lab and clinic experience, should I try to increase either of those aspects through IRTA or boost grades through SMP?

The sticky is awesome, thanks for doing all that work man.

Another question: Would it make sense for me to do something like the NIH IRTA or some other SMP? Considering I've had both lab and clinic experience, should I try to increase either of those aspects through IRTA or boost grades through SMP?
I'm glad that you found it useful.

If GPA boosting is your goal, then do the math - which program will help your GPA more? That means doing the whole "assuming I get 4.0 for the SMP, how does this change my cumulative ugrad GPA?" calculation. Can you significantly raise your ugrad GPA (get it to 3.5-3.6) by going through a SMP? Once you've compared all of your options on that axis, then weigh in the other factors - money/cost, location, etc.

(Oh, and if you're a URM, there's good programs out there for you to go directly from SMP->Med school - check out the Creighton website and others.)

The thing you need to answer for yourself is: Do you want to take a SMP, wait a few years more (because you're going to take a year off to apply with your SMP grades), and be in debt despite the possibility of it not working out? Or, are you willing to accept re-applying one or a few more times while working (maybe with the IRTA) because the GPA doesn't cut it? Make out a decision tree and do all of the "what ifs?"