New Requirement for Western?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachroo

OSU CVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
While preparing to apply for Western this summer I knew I could have 2 pre-reqs that I didn't need to have taken until this fall semester. I was counting on that being nutrition and communication but while checking the updated pre-reqs I noticed they had added a new requirement: Written communication in science or technology.

What is that?? I have never even heard of that class, let alone my university offering aything related to that. On the Western website the keywords they have for that requirement are: academic, report, or proposal writing, writing for the professions, technical or scientific writing/communication.

So my quesiton is...what is Written communication in science or technology?? And what do I do if my school doesn't offer this class??

Members don't see this ad.

While preparing to apply for Western this summer I knew I could have 2 pre-reqs that I didn't need to have taken until this fall semester. I was counting on that being nutrition and communication but while checking the updated pre-reqs I noticed they had added a new requirement: Written communication in science or technology.

What is that?? I have never even heard of that class, let alone my university offering aything related to that. On the Western website the keywords they have for that requirement are: academic, report, or proposal writing, writing for the professions, technical or scientific writing/communication.

So my quesiton is...what is Written communication in science or technology?? And what do I do if my school doesn't offer this class??

Usually it's listed as Technical Writing in course catalogs. I've never had to take it, but I've heard of schools that even have it as a major. My best advice is to call them and ask for clarification and whether an English class you've already taken will fill the requirement. A lot of times one of the semesters of intro English (if you didn't skip it from AP) will have some of this in it. Good luck!

for that requirement, i took a science class that was listed as "writing in the majors". it was an evolution class, but we did a lot of writing. i just noted that on my application and i believe it was listed as writing intensive on my transcript. you could talk to your registrar's office to figure out how to note that about a class on your transcript.

Members don't see this ad :)
My school has a course called something like Writing for the Health Professions. I can't find it on the registrar's site at the moment...

I did find something similar, but not what I was looking for:

SCIENTIFIC WRITING (3) Stone Limit 20 Students write original work, critique articles for content and style, and present work to class. They improve written work that requires synthesis and evaluation. The goal is to weld critical thinking to compelling writing.

Ah, found it!

WRITING FOR THE HEALTH PROFESSSIONS (3) Students will write a variety of papers including a personal statement, resume, cover letter, and a medical research paper, in order to gain a better understanding of the composition process.

At my school, these are listed under the "Professional Communications Program".

It is not new. This was a prereq when I applied (I graduated in the charter class.) If you go to a school in So Cal they might be able to tell you what class fulfills the requirement.

If you go to a school in So Cal they might be able to tell you what class fulfills the requirement.

Nope, I got to Miami University (of Ohio!).

I did find a Technical writing class in the English section, though! Thanks pressmom!

My Animal Physiology class was writing-centered and I believe that counted for that requirement for me. My school had a writing-centered class (or two) in every major because we had to have 4 classes centered on writing to graduate. On my transcripts it looks like ANIMAL PHYS BIOL 331W and the course description clearly states there is a lot of writing (in my case, just a decent-sized research paper, but it fulfilled the requirement).

Try to save yourself the time and don't apply to Western:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown. Stupid requirements plus a horrible curriculum gives in my mind the school a grade of F. Lastly, the town it is located in isn't exactly the best and it has no college atmosphere to it pretty much a technical school feel. My 2 Cents!!

Try to save yourself the time and don't apply to Western:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown. Stupid requirements plus a horrible curriculum gives in my mind the school a grade of F. Lastly, the town it is located in isn't exactly the best and it has no college atmosphere to it pretty much a technical school feel. My 2 Cents!!

Gee thanks for posting that lovely thought on a thread with a Western Grad on it. Good way to show how much of a troll you are.:rolleyes:

Get a life.

LOL, hello Mr. Troll. Oh noes, they require stuff before letting you in! Oh noes, it's in a boring town like 95% of all other vet schools! Oh noes, there's no dorms and partying! What a horrible place! LOL.

OH NOES!!!

funny-pictures-zomg-cat-local-news.jpg

I'm sensing some rejection complex, here.

Pre-dental, talking about vet schools....heehee oh my....

I'm sensing some rejection complex, here.

Pre-dental, talking about vet schools....heehee oh my....

True that...and even stranger is that the one other post that this "pre-dental student" made was also on the pre-vet boards. Hmmm...

hmmm.. I work with 2 vets that graduated from Western U and they are AWESOME VETS!! so I'd have to say that you are totally wrong about that letitfly. There's no need to downgrade Western's program just because you can't handle it. There are lots of other hard-working individuals who can take on their curriculum and succeed.

chris, I noticed you said that you were from the charter class.. did you know Dr. Kinney and Dr. Vollaro? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
hmmm.. I work with 2 vets that graduated from Western U and they are AWESOME VETS!! so I'd have to say that you are totally wrong about that letitfly. There's no need to downgrade Western's program just because you can't handle it. There are lots of other hard-working individuals who can take on their curriculum and succeed.

chris, I noticed you said that you were from the charter class.. did you know Dr. Kinney and Dr. Vollaro? :)
Yup if you see them tell them Christine says "Hi"!
:D

Now I must try mine......

"Pre-dental Pest be Gone"!

Attachments

• squirrel_sith_lightning.jpg
    squirrel_sith_lightning.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 126
WTF...great caption!

Philo, I love your choice of pesticide!

:D:DI am feeling the love, thanks guys:D:D:D

I know that Texas Tech offers an online technical writing course that Texas A&M accepts, I would assume that Western does as well. I was planning on taking it there but my university actually ended up offering the course as an english grad/undergrad crosslisted course.

Western: I'm sending out cyber-hypnotic brain waves to your adcom: YOU WANT TO ACCEPT ME!!
:love:

I had questions about the same two classes. I thought what the heck is "written communication in science or technology," and that I'd have to take some lame class to fulfill that requirement. It turned out that the second semester of the standard English classes I took counted for it. I did have to take a speech class, though. They have a website that specifically lists acceptable courses at each school to fulfill their prerequisite requirements. The best thing to do is just call and ask them, or have them do a course review for you.

A&M will be requiring ANSC 107, basically an introduction to animal science for the application round (2009). I am on the waitlist so if I don't get off then I will have to justify taking an introductory animal science course to my graduate advisor for a different department and college.

I am hoping that they will take a different ansc course in its place because I don't think I can spin a reason for taking this course:confused:

Sorry the post isn't about Western or technical writing.

*bump

Since the pre-reqs for western were updated and I'm applying this application cycle....do any of you know about the new requirement for "global cultural/financial perspectives." The description they give is that it "must have non-Western/non-U.S> focus on multiple cultures and/or multiple economies.

I'm hoping my introductory anthropology course would count or maybe my german fairy tale class (it contained fairy tales from many places...not just germany!). Does anyone else have any knowledge on this requirement?

Err...nevermind! I just found out using the handy dandy acceptable course database on Western's website to find my university. I found out that my anthropology does count!

The odd thing is, regarding that cultural course requirement, that I took an Econ course listed as acceptable for that, and it was about U.S. Econ! But my history of Japan, because its title indicated that it only covered one country, was not acceptable.
:confused:

Ahhhhh, the Western course requirements are driving me nuts! Soooo many!

The description for the statistics course I took mentions that it's designed for nursing and psychology majors. However, the class is a requirement for environmental studies, nutrition and food science, and nursing majors. Does anyone know if this is good enough for them or do they need something that more specifically states that its good for science? It was an extremely thorough stats class so I'd hate to have to take another one because it doesn't mention science in its description. None of the schools I've been to ever required stats for a science degree!

What have some of you used for the global cultures/economics besides anthropology courses. Do you think I'll be able to get away with using a standard macroeconomics course for it? Or a class on the history of film with this description:

AHUM 1216 History: Film and History
This course introduces students to the history of film-making and the rise of mass culture during the inter-war period in Europe, the United States, and the Soviet Union. Students will view commercial films, documentaries, and experimental short films in these three areas in order to better understand the political and social history of the inter-war years (1918-1939), as well as the cultural impact of the rise of mass leisure practices and mass consumption. 4 quarter hours.

Basically, I guess what I'm asking is: how picky is Western with these courses and how do they evaluate what is acceptable and what isn't? I don't want to cheat the requirements, but I also don't want to repeat courses that I've already taken based on technicalities. None of the schools I've been to are in their database.

I should probably not clog up this thread and just call them. :hungover:

Ahhhhh, the Western course requirements are driving me nuts! Soooo many!

The description for the statistics course I took mentions that it's designed for nursing and psychology majors. However, the class is a requirement for environmental studies, nutrition and food science, and nursing majors. Does anyone know if this is good enough for them or do they need something that more specifically states that its good for science? It was an extremely thorough stats class so I'd hate to have to take another one because it doesn't mention science in its description. None of the schools I've been to ever required stats for a science degree!

What have some of you used for the global cultures/economics besides anthropology courses. Do you think I'll be able to get away with using a standard macroeconomics course for it? Or a class on the history of film with this description:

AHUM 1216 History: Film and History
This course introduces students to the history of film-making and the rise of mass culture during the inter-war period in Europe, the United States, and the Soviet Union. Students will view commercial films, documentaries, and experimental short films in these three areas in order to better understand the political and social history of the inter-war years (1918-1939), as well as the cultural impact of the rise of mass leisure practices and mass consumption. 4 quarter hours.

Basically, I guess what I'm asking is: how picky is Western with these courses and how do they evaluate what is acceptable and what isn't? I don't want to cheat the requirements, but I also don't want to repeat courses that I've already taken based on technicalities. None of the schools I've been to are in their database.

I should probably not clog up this thread and just call them. :hungover:

Hey there...Hope this helps. Go to the western website for prospective students...Look under the application stuff. You can fill out a course acceptance form before you apply and they will let you know if your course will count or not. I did this and was pleasantly surprised that they took everything I had, so no worries. You just need to be sure you fill it out. Actually, here's the link.....http://wsprod.westernu.edu/student/ask.jsp
Good luck!

hey bunny slippers!

you can take a macroeconomic course. i ended up taking one online and it wasn't too terrible at all. just make sure it's ok with the admissions advisor over at Western and let them know the class details and all that. but if you've already taken that film class, ask if it's ok. they're pretty great with getting back to you on time. i have to warn you though, i took a world lit class and they didn't accept it. anyway, good luck!

I'm putting off studying for a Western Nutrition prereq. class exam that's tomorrow night, right now :cool:. It's going to be a long night on the couch with my flashcards :oops:.