New residency programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HenryH

AA-S
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in Georgia and noticed that there are only a few (I believe 2 or 3) residency programs in the entire state. I would like to return to Georgia after I graduate and complete a residency program here, but I imagine competition will be stiff -- and I don't even know how the few programs here are generally "perceived" by the podiatric community in terms of education quality.

Are there plans for any new residency programs (not just in Georgia, but anywhere) to be initiated within the next few years?

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, you need to chillax. Go ask your grandmother for a xanex or something. Seriously. All this worrying before the fact isn't going to do you any good. Podiatry is like any other medical specialty. You have some other more pressing issues to address before worrying about doing a residency in Georgia like:

1. Getting into pod school.
2. Graduating pod school.
3. Matching into a top residency
4. Becoming a competent podiatrist

Don't worry about doing residency in the area you ultimately want to settle in. The best way to get the good jobs in the area you want to be in is to get the best training where ever that may be, and then return. There are so many great places to be a podiatrist in this country so I wouldn't limit your options to the deep south...you might like becoming a cold northerner.

Iceman, you make a good point; however, did you consider there may be a reason Henry H wants a residency in Georgia? Maybe he wants to be near family. Maybe he can't stand cold weather. Maybe he has an opportunity to do some "moonlighting" while in residency if he gets a program in Georgia. Seriously, don't be so critical of someone else's plans because they are not your own. Btw, podiatrists who choose to "limit themselves in the deep south" are smart. There is a higher percentage of diabetics and elderly, they are usually the only pod in town, and from what I hear medicare reimburses better. So, sounds to me like the country foot doc has it the best. That's my 2 dollars (inflation)

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Moonlighting is illegal; moonlighting was only permitted for MD graduates in the past who wanted to work in the E.D. to make some extra bucks as residents primarily.

2. You're a pre-pod, and instead of taking hearsay to heart you should be paying attention to health care economics because ultimately economics will shape the future of podiatry in many ways. A great place to start would be to read the book "If Disney Ran Your Hospital."

3. The match is going become more competitive with the slated residency shortage in the future, so only applying to residencies in the deep south will likely limit your success rate.

4. ****ty weather puts hair on your chest and reminds you there are somethings beyond your control.

Whoa...iceman, chill buddy. Moonlighting may be illegal but don't act like it doesn't happen. You're right, I am a prepod but I have a close family member who is s country foot doc and he is VERY successful. So, its a little more than hear say when I get to hear about things from an experienced(30 years) doctor at the dinner table

1. Moonlighting is illegal; moonlighting was only permitted for MD graduates in the past who wanted to work in the E.D. to make some extra bucks as residents primarily.

2. You're a pre-pod, and instead of taking hearsay to heart you should be paying attention to health care economics because ultimately economics will shape the future of podiatry in many ways. A great place to start would be to read the book "If Disney Ran Your Hospital."

3. The match is going become more competitive with the slated residency shortage in the future, so only applying to residencies in the deep south will likely limit your success rate.

This would be another reason to initiate more residency programs. Otherwise, how are they going to avoid another catastrophe like the one that occurred in the late 1990s/early 2000s and rendered many podiatry school graduates disgruntled without a residency? Seems kind of irresponsible of the APMA to just idle their time as a residency shortage brews on the horizon; after all, the ones who won't nab a residency are still passing students...

4. ****ty weather puts hair on your chest and reminds you there are somethings beyond your control.

Why do I want to experience ****tty weather, though, when there's no consequence to living somewhere with a more amiable climate?

Responses integrated into quote...