New Resident Orientation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HbyHA

Fellowship, take 2.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning our new resident orientation for the upcoming year. I'm mostly finished, but i wanted to get some input. Is there anything you can think of that you wish you'd had during orientation? Anything you think was overkill?

I'd appreciate any thoughts that you guys have! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Is there anything you can think of that you wish you'd had during orientation?
I think a pep talk about teamwork and professional communication in pathology would be beneficial. Also, a list of good intern year books!

This year the Chief's put together a series of intro talks about the different services by attendings..almost like a mini intro to the service, including grossing demos. Plus, there was one afternoon where the first year would shadow a current junior/senior resident that is on the service that they would be starting the next week. Since we use Powerpath, there would also be an intro session on how to pull up cases, order immuno's, etc. I think they also had a several hours in histology to understand the workflow there too. Similar things in CP. They got great feedback about it, and it did make the transition smoother.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly I don't recall much of first-year orientation. The moments I remember are the first day every month/quarter starting a new rotation, which has different site-specific/rotation-specific objectives and resource recommendations. I guess based on that I would say that having the rotation orientations well-structured matter more than the initial July 1st orientation :) Everyone eventually finds out how to get expenses reimbursed/slides pulled and where the restrooms and stationery supplies are.

I have a 2-day orientation on the calendar for when I start fellowship. (2 days! Who is doing the work?) That might jog my memory, but will be a little late for your purposes.

Photosheets are useful for matching name to face.

Useful freebies are always nice if you have the money for it. We each got a slidebox when I started. I know of other places that give out a card-sized transparent ruler on a lanyard (useful for staging tumors) or the AJCC handbook.

sounds like we already have above and beyond what most people do. we're starting June 23rd and have multiple days of introduction to the serivces and workflow by attendings and staff (both AP and CP), 2.5 days of shadowing. a histology review, team building... etc. i guess my work here is done:D

Our orientation includes:
1. Introduction to computer systems
2. Meeting with chairman
3. Two weeks of lectures on bloodbanking and apheresis
4. Shadowing on your first rotation
5. Learning how to take photographs of specimens
6. Introduction to autopsy procedures and protocols
7. Intro to surg path, i.e. tips and general guidelines for gross descriptions, workflow, ancillary studies, etc
8. Observation and training in frozen section techniques
9. What to expect on your CP calls
9. And more!