New Retina MacBook for Medical School?

Started by ta8901
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah I am. I was thinking the same as you but most of the forums (actual tech forums) seems to believe we can expect a major redesign in the third quarter (meaning fall).

They say that the release in spring offered minimal upgrades and represented a minor upgrade and that they didn't upgrade the CPU to haswell or broadwell (I forget which is the new one). They believe this skip is likely due to apple waiting to put the skylake chips in because they represent a much more significant leap forward in tech and will likely accompany a major redesign.... Obviously there is no way to know but my minor upgrades should keep my 2010 MBP running fast and easy for a good while until the new laptop does come out. They haven't done a major redesign of the MBP in a long time so it's definitely due. In my mind if you can avoid it, it's better to hold off and wait.

But then again that's also because I like having the newest tech.
YMMV

The last major update to the MBP was in summer 2012. I'm not super up to date with the tech world, but is 3 years considered a long time?
 
The last major update to the MBP was in summer 2012. I'm not super up to date with the tech world, but is 3 years considered a long time?
I'm not really up to date with it either I'm more just playing messenger here... Anyways, in my opinion 3 years is considered a long time. I was just putting it out there that some people expect a redesign of the MBP fairly soon and for those who can, you may want to wait.
 
Yeah I am. I was thinking the same as you but most of the forums (actual tech forums) seems to believe we can expect a major redesign in the third quarter (meaning fall).

They say that the release in spring offered minimal upgrades and represented a minor upgrade and that they didn't upgrade the CPU to haswell or broadwell (I forget which is the new one). They believe this skip is likely due to apple waiting to put the skylake chips in because they represent a much more significant leap forward in tech and will likely accompany a major redesign.... Obviously there is no way to know but my minor upgrades should keep my 2010 MBP running fast and easy for a good while until the new laptop does come out. They haven't done a major redesign of the MBP in a long time so it's definitely due. In my mind if you can avoid it, it's better to hold off and wait.

But then again that's also because I like having the newest tech.
YMMV
Which forums are you talking about? I did a bunch of research in May and I didn't see any forums indicating that there should be a major redesign for the fall. If anything, all I've seen is recommendations saying buy now since there won't be anything til quarter 2016 but now I'm second guessing myself (also love newest technology but my toshiba is falling apart). For updates everyone's describing the iPod and Apple TV updates
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Which forums are you talking about? I did a bunch of research in May and I didn't see any forums indicating that there should be a major redesign for the fall. If anything, all I've seen is recommendations saying buy now since there won't be anything til quarter 2016 but now I'm second guessing myself (also love newest technology but my toshiba is falling apart). For updates everyone's describing the iPod and Apple TV updates
Here is a cherry picked post from on thread

"You do realize that Apple has done both spring and fall updates to the MBPr line in the past right? The last major one was Haswell. We had an early 2013 15" MBPr running IB and then a late 2013 15" MBPr running HW. The 2013 late release offered numerous updates for the holiday season.

I think that is what we'll see this year (if Intel does release Skylake on time).

Dell, Asus, Lenovo, and others have stated they plan on doing Skylake based notebooks for the holiday season.

I believe that Intel will skip Broadwell H chips at this point and move to Skylake."
Source:http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/leaked-skylake-roadmap-suggests-september-release.1885517/

Also here is another thread:https://m.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/38yncr/new_rmbp_1315_w_skylake_in_the_fall_still_possible/

It's obviously not everyone who believes we will see it, but there is a clear chance and some sound logic as to why. Mainly seeing that apple appears to have skipped broadwell completely when they could have waited an extra 2 weeks and included it in their last update.

It's a risk for sure, but with increased ram and a new ssd hard drive on my 2010 mbp will be perfect to hold me over until the new crop comes in. And it's only like $150 to do total and I expect to get it back when I go to sell it used on eBay, as I stated earlier.

Other people may be in a more pressing situation however.

If you want to find more threads across various forums search "skylake rMBP fall" and look for threads created in or after May/June.
 
Last edited:
Hey yall, just went to best buy, got a 8gb ram, 256gb SSD, 2015 MacBook Pro. It was on sale for $150 off, and then I used a 10% off coupon that you can get from the post office (just ask for a "movers package - even if you aren't moving I have picked up about a half dozen now lol). In total I got $285 off.
 
You're better off with a 15inch MBP if it's your only computer. Replace the SSD with a hybrid drive for way more storage to get all your lecture vids and stuff. The bigger screen is worth greater weight and cost.
 
Interesting. BB claims that their system no longer recognizes two coupons together. Do you still remember the sequence of scanning the coupons? I will go there and try my luck today.
I did movers first and then student. I got tons of resistance, saying it wouldn't work etc. I just asked them to try and it did. So go for it
 
I did movers first and then student. I got tons of resistance, saying it wouldn't work etc. I just asked them to try and it did. So go for it

It worked for me too! YAY

To others who are thinking about buying it, sign up for a free BB membership and you can also get points back, the equivalent of about $25 in store credit.
 
I did movers first and then student. I got tons of resistance, saying it wouldn't work etc. I just asked them to try and it did. So go for it

It worked for me too! YAY

To others who are thinking about buying it, sign up for a free BB membership and you can also get points back, the equivalent of about $25 in store credit.

It worked for me too! Thanks for the tip @ta8901 !
 
It worked for me too! YAY

To others who are thinking about buying it, sign up for a free BB membership and you can also get points back, the equivalent of about $25 in store credit.
Signing up for BB Credit Card should also get you 10% back, which is another cool 100 or so. So now the question becomes... what to spend that on?? Haha i'm thinking about a new set of headphones
 
Hey what's yalls take on whether or not to get an external CD/dvd drive? Will I ever really need it in school? I figure it wouldn't hurt if I can find one for like $20 or something?

Don't buy it. If you buy it, are you going to carry it around with you all day every day? If not, then why do you need to buy it right this second? If the time ever comes that you will need it, then you can go out to Best Buy or Amazon, whatever, and purchase it then, but until then why spend more money if you don't have to?
 
Don't buy it. If you buy it, are you going to carry it around with you all day every day? If not, then why do you need to buy it right this second? If the time ever comes that you will need it, then you can go out to Best Buy or Amazon, whatever, and purchase it then, but until then why spend more money if you don't have to?
Yea obviously I wouldn't be using it often. I just saw they are like half as much on Amazon as they are in store at best buy and stuff (cheapest I could find in store was like $35). And since I am buying a bunch of other little things from Amazon, didn't know if I should just chuck that in the pile as well.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yea obviously I wouldn't be using it often. I just saw they are like half as much on Amazon as they are in store at best buy and stuff (cheapest I could find in store was like $35). And since I am buying a bunch of other little things from Amazon, didn't know if I should just chuck that in the pile as well.
Save the money and buy beer.
 
Hi Guys,

I am looking to replace my 2011 MacBook Pro as I prepare for medical school this fall. I was looking into the 2015 Retina MBP with 128GB SSD (base) or the base 2015 MacBook, which comes with 256 GB of storage. The MacBook is a pretty controversial choice as it has a mobile CPU, has only 1 port, that too USB-C which isn't standard. However, I rarely (if ever) plug stuff into my laptop and value portability and battery life.

What do you guys think? As medical students, how do you typically use your computer? I'm anticipating lots of streaming, reading PDFs/Powerpoint course packs, and writing research papers but thats about it. The safe option here is the MBP but I really, really like the design of the new MacBook. Appreciate any input!
I use the surface pro 3. I'm a Microsoft guy. I tend to stay away from apple.

One note is really badass and the whole Microsoft series has come a long way!