I think many pre-opts and OD students think that many of us ODs critical of the profession and new OD schools are just acting "protectionist". I can assure you that is not the case.
I already work in one of the most saturated areas of the country. The Midwest. I am surrounded by 4 optometry schools: ICO, IU, Ferris (MI), and OSU. So the new schools are going to have much less effect on me than the ODs out west.
They will have an effect though. They will increase the spread of commercial optometry and continue the trend of more patients for less money. They will lower the perceived quality of OD students with a downward pressure on GPAs.
You guys and gals don't know now but unfortunately Optometry is quickly becoming every man for himself. ODs will downright stab each other in the back to make a buck or keep a patient.
I thought I knew all there was to know about optometry and I was caught off guard after I graduated. I grew up in a smaller town with no commercial optometry.
I graduated #1 in my Pre-Med undergrad class so I am assuming I wasn't dense to the realities.
I just want you all to know that:
-Private practice jobs are hard to find
-commercial gigs are not good for optometry
-Vision Plans are not paying more to keep up with inflation, they are actually getting worse. (some ODs accept exam fees of around $35, less than a hair cut for many!) Dentists around here charge $220-$300 for an exam
All the above are worsened by new schools. If some of you do not believe in oversupply see how quickly you can get a routine eye exam in a given town vs a PCP appointment.
I agree for the most part. It seems that your arguments presuppose a number of things.
So what you're essentially saying is that we as professionals are unable to adapt to the new "reality". There will be no possibility for change in the field. There is no way to write your own ticket as an entrepreneurial professional.
I have also completed my post bac. program in the top 1%. As stated previously, I have been a business person in this field. As such, I am well aware of the issues I will face post grad.
However, I don't dwell on the negatives, though they cannot be ignored.
Oh, and coming from NYC originally, optometry there has been every (wo)man for (her)himself for as long as I can remember.
As far as the "downward pressure on GPA's" argument is concerned, wasn't this argument used when NOVA opened? As much as I disagree with the opening of the new schools, we'll see a steady increase in those GPA's over time. The curve is always sharper when the period is short. It always smooths out as the period increases. To illustrate: check out Microsoft's stock price curve for year x. Then look at the curve for a 10 year period that includes year x. The differences are big, no?
🙄BTW, how do you know that the dentist, pharmacist, PCP, specialist, podiatrist (insert professional here) didn't graduate dead last in their class?
🙄
Perceived quality issues:
Do you think that patients will pick which OD/dentist/pharmacist/MD/DO they will see based on the school that they graduated from, or rather whether or not they are on their insurance/vision/dental/prescription plan and how close they are to their home or work? Something to think about there
😎
That diploma hanging in their exam room lists no class rank or GPA.
😉
Getting an appointment at an OD vs. PCP:
Last time I checked, the OD's scope of practice was limited to the visual system and associated structures.
PCP's, generally internists & family practitioners, see patients having issues with ALL of the body's systems.
I can guarantee (with a grain of salt - no hard #'s) that given a sample of people, the OVERWHELMING majority of patients experiencing a problem will have issues with a body system other than the visual system. A small number will have multiple issues including the visual system, but only a small number.
OF COURSE the PCP will be booked 3 weeks or a month or more out.
I do agree that vision plans pay pitiful amounts in reimbursements.
I just looked at the last EOB from my insurance plan.
Procedure X - Billed for $100 Plan Paid - $30 PT. Portion - $15 Copay
Difference $55 not billable to the member because an In- Network facility was used.
Based on that - Anyone that bills a plan is getting shortchanged.
Do those dentists that charge $220-$300 for an exam getting reimbursed at that rate or are they billing for that amount and getting what the plan's contract allows for?
We newbies will just have to be creative and adapt to the business/economic environment that we'll be in.