New SDN Member - Advice needed from regulars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

la brat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Great board here. I love all the lingo and wisdom that abounds in these posts. I am an older non-traditional post-bac pre-dental with a BA in fine arts from Columbia with an overall 3.2 gpa; this was back when Nirvana was still popular - '98. I have nearly completed my pre-recs from Santa Monica College (a good CC with an excellent science dep., regardless of the prevailing theories) with a 3.7 gpa. I have some volunteer and shaddowing experience under my belt and plan on kicking butt on the DAT in May of this year. I would like to apply for 2009 matriculation. I know getting my applications in as early as possible works greatly to my advantage. In light of these circumstances, my questions to you are:

1) Is research in the dental field a good idea? Is it too late to do this once I've submitted applications?

2) I plan on taking several more upper level bio courses during the summer, several weeks after submitting. Will AADSAS efficiently report these grades to AdComms as an addendum to the original application?

3)Any other salient advice?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

Great board here. I love all the lingo and wisdom that abounds in these posts. I am an older non-traditional post-bac pre-dental with a BA in fine arts from Columbia with an overall 3.2 gpa; this was back when Nirvana was still popular - '98. I have nearly completed my pre-recs from Santa Monica College (a good CC with an excellent science dep., regardless of the prevailing theories) with a 3.7 gpa. I have some volunteer and shaddowing experience under my belt and plan on kicking butt on the DAT in May of this year. I would like to apply for 2009 matriculation. I know getting my applications in as early as possible works greatly to my advantage. In light of these circumstances, my questions to you are:

1) Is research in the dental field a good idea? Is it too late to do this once I've submitted applications?

2) I plan on taking several more upper level bio courses during the summer, several weeks after submitting. Will AADSAS efficiently report these grades to AdComms as an addendum to the original application?

3)Any other salient advice?

Thanks.

1. It's a good idea. You can always mention that during your interviews, although it won't be on your application.

2. You can utilize the Academic Update period to update those grades.

3. Apply early, do well on DAT and apply to the right schools and you are good to go!

Good luck. :)

You want the schools to have your application in hand around mid august. Some schools begin looking at applications then (certain state schools). At the latest Sept 1st. This is not an official deadline but to give you a rough guide on when you should get things in so that you can land an interview early.

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to the site :). I'm sure you'll find a lot of useful information here.

You seem to be on the right track, keep your grades up and really study hard to prepare for the DAT. Remember, most schools really look at the DAT as an indication of how prepared you are, sometimes over GPA even, so you want to be sure to do well.

If you can do research, do it. Most schools will tell you research isn't for them, it's for you. So it will only show them you want it more. It can also give you something to talk about in your interviews when you're being asked what you're currently doing.

To answer your last question, the majority of applicants are still taking classes when they're applying so I don't think you need to worry.

Anyways, feel free to browse the forums and good luck with your endeavor.

I'm also interested in question number 2. I plan to submit in May but I will be taking Organic 1 & 2 over the summer (and taking the DAT in early August). I know many schools will accept faxed DAT scores, but what about grades?

I'm also interested in question number 2. I plan to submit in May but I will be taking Organic 1 & 2 over the summer (and taking the DAT in early August). I know many schools will accept faxed DAT scores, but what about grades?

I don't know many schools that are willing to accept faxed scores. Transcripts usually have to be sent directly from the registrar's office sealed, so you might have to ask them to send in the transcript early (although I submitted the AADSAS app late, the transcripts were all received by May because I asked them to mail it out the last week of April).

I don't know many schools that are willing to accept faxed scores.

I've also heard that several schools will accept faxed DAT scores...but ONLY to begin processing your file/application. By the time they interview you, I imagine they will have expected your official scores to arrive.

regardless of what you think about SMC, its still a community college.

People outside of the LA area will have no idea of its reputation and only see a decent GPA from a CC.

you need to take upper division classes at a university. If you go to SMC you are literally a few miles from UCLA and Long Beach.

Do yourself a favor and take some classes higher than the prereqs at a university.

Also for the DAT take it first week in May. Your score will get to school by June. AADSAS will still be verifying your transcripts at that time. So dont worry about your score arriving late.

I don't know many schools that are willing to accept faxed scores. Transcripts usually have to be sent directly from the registrar's office sealed, so you might have to ask them to send in the transcript early (although I submitted the AADSAS app late, the transcripts were all received by May because I asked them to mail it out the last week of April).
I called the schools I was applying too and only one maybe two told me not to fax the scores. I received a couple of interviews right after I faxed my scores (One even called me to tell me to resend the fax bc the ink was out and when I resent it she called me right back to invite me for an interview). My advice is to fax'em. Then they can begin to process your applicaiton.

Lopyswine,

Being from Georgia, I agree generally about the perception of community colleges nationwide. However, as a California resident who has taken courses at UCLA, some science classes are more difficult and competitive at SMC - a place known within California and beyond for its excellent reputation. In fact, talking to the dental school officials at UCLA where I currently volunteer, I get the perception that it is actually impressive to have taken classes at this particular CC; it's known as a pipeline for many smart international bio students who filter into top universities. That being said, I agree that it is probably a good move to mix it up by taking upper level courses at a 4-year. Sucks about the quarter system at UCLA which probably means I'll have to take more than one class per subject.

Thanks everyone for their input. Assuming most of the posters here are younger than me, I'm really impressed by your knowledge, preparedness, and maturity compared to those less honed attributes of pre-dental kids when I was an undergraduate.

1. research will never hurt you, only help. unfortunately, i believe you should get some in before you submit your application as i don't think you can add it on later. i may be wrong here.
2. the one thing you can add later to your application is the academic update (e.g. submitting grades from summer/fall 08).
3. don't feel as though you're too old. though i'd say most of the posters here go straight from undergrad to d-school, there are many a "few years out" and non-traditional students here. you have a few more years than i, but still, welcome!

Study hard! Don't slack off for the DAT. Use your resources (books, study groups, prep courses, destroyer, achiever, etc).

Manage your time wisely. As in:
-try to get all your LORs ASAP, before you start applying
-Write an awesome personal statement and have it read and re-read by as many people as possible
-get your app in as early as possible

good luck :)