New Significant Clinical Experience - Put on AMCAS app or wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mashinator

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, looking for some advice. I was involved in a health education activity for several years that I thought would count as clinical experience (but no patient contact means that it actually doesn't). So, besides shadowing, I do not have any clinical experiences. This past Feb (with a bunch of physicians), I was able to initiate and volunteer at a clinical activity for an underserved area. This is something I will be continuing throughout next year (and beyond, through contacts). Is this something I can mention in my AMCAS or should I be waiting to use it as an update? Also, is it significant enough to overlook my lack of clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Without a doubt you should put it on your app. You can mention things that you have started even if they are still in the works. Updates are important, but not near as important as your initial app which is what will get you interviews.

Without further information, I can't say whether or not this "clinical activity" will validate you for having significant clinical experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Without a doubt you should put it on your app. You can mention things that you have started even if they are still in the works. Updates are important, but not near as important as your initial app which is what will get you interviews.

Without further information, I can't say whether or not this "clinical activity" will validate you for having significant clinical experience.
Makes sense! Also, I was trying to keep it sorta anonymous but, it's basically like a free clinic!

Members don't see this ad :)
Put it on your app and list future hours too.

Put it on your app and list future hours too.
How far ahead do you think I should go for future hours, just the next year? Also, I was under the assumption that future hours aren't exactly seen as accurate representations (since so much can change for individuals). Rather, that we should give general ideas of the time commitments we expect to give. What say you?

How far ahead do you think I should go for future hours, just the next year? Also, I was under the assumption that future hours aren't exactly seen as accurate representations (since so much can change for individuals). Rather, that we should give general ideas of the time commitments we expect to give. What say you?

Make your best estimation.