New Step 1: Info, Score Release, & Discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Guero

2QT2Bcis Plaidapus
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As some of you already know, the NBME recently instituted some simple formatting additions to Step 1 and reduced the maximum number of questions for each block to 40 (without reducing the 1 hour time limit). This also means that anyone sitting for Step 1 during the phase-in process between May 7th through late June will wait longer than the typical 4 weeks to receive scores, currently projected to release no later than July 13th.

I figured I'd start a thread to discuss these changes and to allow those of us testing within the provisional period to update each other on score releases as they become available. As for the discussion, I presume the effect of the question reduction will mainly be replacing smaller, discrete questions with longer vignette questions. So this might be more of a test date --> score receipt date thread. Either way, good luck!

EDIT: I found and added the link to the content announcement.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
So do you guys think a bunch of people will end up getting their scores on July 13 or just the ones who took it earlier on?

Reactions: 1 user
I think they'll either release all at once by the deadline/slightly beforehand or start releasing a little earlier for those taking it near the beginning. I'm pretty sure they need a larger than usual sample to normalize the first group of new tests. So it'll depend on how many new tests they've made and how they're distributed during the period.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Took mine on May 10th - still had 44 q's/block. Do you think this delay in score reporting will apply to me?

Members don't see this ad :)
Took mine on May 10th - still had 44 q's/block. Do you think this delay in score reporting will apply to me?

Wow, that's weird! I thought they were switched over by 5/9. The site definitely says that anyone taking after 5/9 should expect a delay. But considering they submit everyone's test outputs every Wednesday and your test was definitely not switched over, I'd be willing to bet you were in the very last cohort of regular Step 1 exams and won't see much if any delay. Would you mind letting us know when you receive your results?

Congrats on being done, btw!

Wow, that's weird! I thought they were switched over by 5/9. The site definitely says that anyone taking after 5/9 should expect a delay. But considering they submit everyone's test outputs every Wednesday and your test was definitely not switched over, I'd be willing to bet you were in the very last cohort of regular Step 1 exams and won't see much if any delay. Would you mind letting us know when you receive your results?

Congrats on being done, btw!

Thanks! Feels great. I'll let you all know when I get my score.

That press release actually says the transition to 40 q's/block may be slower at some testing centers so it may be worth checking before you take your exam.

Thanks! Feels great. I'll let you all know when I get my score.

That press release actually says the transition to 40 q's/block may be slower at some testing centers so it may be worth checking before you take your exam.

I bet! Thanks for being willing to share; I'll do the same. I take mine next Tuesday.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that little clause. I'm not sure how we'd check, though. I guess we could call if we're really curious. But I'll just find out when I sit for the exam.

So now that you reminded me about that clause, I'd lean more towards a delay. Because they'll be renorming all the new tests at the centers that have transitioned. :/

Where does it say that the questions oukd be reduced to 40 per block?

I inserted a link in the text of my OP that takes you to the NBME's original post on formatting posted to their announcements. It's in there and the bulletin. There's no direct hyperlink to the specific announcement that details the 40 questions. There's a link to the bulletin in the format announcement. If you take the time to search thoroughly, you'll find it for yourself.

Where does it say that the questions oukd be reduced to 40 per block?
Here's a direct link to the content description PDF. On page 4 of 7, the last paragraph on the right-hand side of the page (before the purpose and design description begins) reads,

"Step 1 is a one-day examination. It is divided into seven 60-minute blocks and administered in one 8-hour testing session. The number of questions per block on a given examination form will vary, but will not exceed 40. The total number of items on the overall examination form will not exceed 280."

Sorry I didn't have time to find the direct link last night. Hope this clears things up. :)

Last edited:
Here's a direct link to the content description PDF. On page 4 of 7, the last paragraph on the right-hand side of the page (before the purpose and design description begins) reads,

"Step 1 is a one-day examination. It is divided into seven 60-minute blocks and administered in one 8-hour testing session. The number of questions per block on a given examination form will vary, but will not exceed 40. The total number of items on the overall examination form will not exceed 280."

Sorry I didn't have time to find the direct link last night. Hope this clears things up. :)

Thank you so much ;)
I am an incoming MS1 and was just curious to how Step 1 is changing. What prompt them to reduce the amount of questions per block? Is it more beneficial to us students?

Thank you so much ;)
I am an incoming MS1 and was just curious to how Step 1 is changing. What prompt them to reduce the amount of questions per block? Is it more beneficial to us students?

You're welcome. I imagine its purpose is to lengthen vignettes that are more similar to clinical practice and the Step 2 CK (clinical knowledge) exam. But that's just conjecture. There's no telling. I've personally found that the NBME prefers not to expound upon their rationale and background when it comes to their content (likely a protective measure), which probably extends to their related decisions. There might be more info that PDF though.

Since they said it can take up to 6 weeks to complete this transition, I've been thinking about how to determine whether or not my center will have the new or old format. So I called my center today...then got referred...and referred again. But I finally reached the specific powers that be and figured out the answer: It takes most centers 4 weeks to complete the process, which actually began on 5/12. According to IT, most centers are already up and running with the new format (40Q max per block, 280 max total).

If you'd like to ask about whether your local center is among the lagging or completed, you can call Prometric IT's help desk at 888-727-8490 and inquire about your specific center with its Prometric ID# (on your test-date confirmation receipt). From our conversation, though, I'm pretty sure the guy thought I was an official center employee. So if your IT person seems suspicious and asks you to log-in or ask for an ID number, be prepared to side-step and ask if they can just tell you whether or not your center is finished with the upgrade. My center happens to be among those that have transitioned earlier than 4 week estimate.

GL!

Mine was a week ago. 7 sections of 40 questions each. Didn't feel too different from NBME and UWorld. Let nitpicky than Kaplan, but it didn't seem like the stems were longer.
Maybe there were more individual questions with long stems though... it ended up taking me the same amount of time as the practice tests with 50q/block.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine was a week ago. 7 sections of 40 questions each. Didn't feel too different from NBME and UWorld. Let nitpicky than Kaplan, but it didn't seem like the stems were longer.
Maybe there were more individual questions with long stems though... it ended up taking me the same amount of time as the practice tests with 50q/block.

Thanks and congrats on being done! I hope you're happy with your score when it comes back. :) I take mine tomorrow. Just relaxing and trying to refresh today.

Thanks and congrats on being done! I hope you're happy with your score when it comes back. :) I take mine tomorrow. Just relaxing and trying to refresh today.

Enjoy the day off. Seriously that day 1/2 that I took off made it so much easier to focus through the exam. I was able to be more calm and think about the questions starting with "OK, you know the answer, now what is it?"
Good luck tomorrow! Bring lots of snacks. :D

Enjoy the day off. Seriously that day 1/2 that I took off made it so much easier to focus through the exam. I was able to be more calm and think about the questions starting with "OK, you know the answer, now what is it?"
Good luck tomorrow! Bring lots of snacks. :D

Well, I have nothing more to add. Everyone's been spot on: 40 questions each block and time very manageable with UW and NBME preparation. Here's to hoping for the best performance and most rapid return of scores for everyone! Cheers!

Well, I have nothing more to add. Everyone's been spot on: 40 questions each block and time very manageable with UW and NBME preparation. Here's to hoping for the best performance and most rapid return of scores for everyone! Cheers!

Hi everyone, I took it 05/13... Miami, FL center. Definitely the new format... But the actual test has 268 question; blocks from 1 to six have 40 questions and last block 28 questions... I did not feel there were that many looong questions or answer choices I was expecting... There is enough time to answer every question in every block... As we all have heard, there are some odd questions or difficult, but it is not the majority!!! I am also very anxious About the releasing score dates... So, will definitely be aware of this thread and also keep you posted for when I get my score... Good luck to all of you

Hi everyone, I took it 05/13... Miami, FL center. Definitely the new format... But the actual test has 268 question; blocks from 1 to six have 40 questions and last block 28 questions... I did not feel there were that many looong questions or answer choices I was expecting... There is enough time to answer every question in every block... As we all have heard, there are some odd questions or difficult, but it is not the majority!!! I am also very anxious About the releasing score dates... So, will definitely be aware of this thread and also keep you posted for when I get my score... Good luck to all of you
Wow that's weird for the last section. I would think that 'less than 40' meant like 38 or 39 questions in a block. Did you have a lot of leftover time in that last block?

Yeah that's pretty odd. You probably had a few very experimental questions in that last block for it have so few. But then again, every block of mine was maxed out at 40. Who knows. But thanks for keeping us up to date as to when you get your scores. And I hope it's a good score! :)

Hi everyone.. I did have my step 1 today and it included 272 questions in total. 6*40+ 1*32.
Curious about the new passing note.. Still 192 ?
And the release date of results..
Thank u .. Good luck

Hi everyone.. I did have my step 1 today and it included 272 questions in total. 6*40+ 1*32.
Curious about the new passing note.. Still 192 ?
And the release date of results..
Thank u .. Good luck

Thanks! Passing is still 192. Release date for "those taking Step 1 between 5/9 to late June is projected at 7/13" per the announcement. I think (and very much hope) that some of us might receive scores earlier, though.

Wow that's weird for the last section. I would think that 'less than 40' meant like 38 or 39 questions in a block. Did you have a lot of leftover time in that last block?
Yes, I finished That block in 30 mins. But the time was still 1 hour. And it was not even a difficult block... Who knows!!!

Took the test yesterday. Waiting till July 13 to know the results is an agony. I can only imagine the pain of those who took it in May and have to wait two months to get the scores.

Did anyone take it relatively early that has their eligibility set late? My print permit link disappeared (usually a sign of score release) but my eligibility also expired on 6/30 so I'm wondering if I'll get my score Wednesday or if it's just due to me no longer being eligible to take the exam. I took mine on May 19th for reference.

Did anyone take it relatively early that has their eligibility set late? My print permit link disappeared (usually a sign of score release) but my eligibility also expired on 6/30 so I'm wondering if I'll get my score Wednesday or if it's just due to me no longer being eligible to take the exam. I took mine on May 19th for reference.

You took it about a week before me right? I took mine on 6/7 and the permit is still there. I would just assume that they're coming out on 7/13, anything else would be a pleasant (or not so pleasant) surprise.

You took it about a week before me right? I took mine on 6/7 and the permit is still there. I would just assume that they're coming out on 7/13, anything else would be a pleasant (or not so pleasant) surprise.
Yeah, took it on the 19th. I guess I'll see!

Hey guys. I took my Step 1 on 6/27 I really hope I receive my scores this upcoming week. Best of luck to everyone. I already started my semester and the wait is killing me. I want to start studying for step 2 but can't....

Hey guys. I took my Step 1 on 6/27 I really hope I receive my scores this upcoming week. Best of luck to everyone. I already started my semester and the wait is killing me. I want to start studying for step 2 but can't....

Dog you took it like 9 days ago ...

You better be ****ing trolling

The saddest (or most infuriating) part is that those taking it around that time will indeed likely receive their scores on the 13th with us. *sigh*

Dog you took it like 9 days ago ...
Dog.... I know.. Jw and Ophtho what gives?. who gives a **** when I, or anyone else gets their scores.
If I receive them sooner than usual because of the new exam changes...cool .. if not **** it.
hope you guys get the scores you wanted..

Dog.... I know.. Jw and Ophtho what gives?. who gives a **** when I, or anyone else gets their scores.
If I receive them sooner than usual because of the new exam changes...cool .. if not **** it.
I don't mind you saying you'd like your scores or wonder when you get them. I was more miffed at the "the wait is killing me" thing. I'm fine now. I just want to know. It's been like 2 months

Hey I made the caveat that my anger was not justifiable. However you whining about a 2 week wait is like heading to the local soup kitchen and bitching because it's been 3 hours since breakfast and you're hungry. Know your audience man.