New to Boards.. Quick Question!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cward82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am interested in some opinions about where I stand. I was a student at Drexel for 2 years. I had a 3.2 GPA from Drexel ( A in chem, B+ in bio, B+ in microbio, B- in Anatomy and Phys). I transferred schools at that point to Fordham to be close to home because of some health problems. I went to Fordham for 2 years, and received 3 F's, a C+, a C-, and a B+, along with 4 missing grades. At that point, I transfered to New School in NY, and graduated with a 3.11 from NS (not counting an F received there but made up with an A)

The two years at Fordham (plus factoring in that F from New school) brings my cumulative GPA to 2.66. Without Fordham, I would have a 3.06 (factoring in that F).

I am about to do a post-bacc program of 30 credits. assuming that I ace all 30 credits, what are the chances of my troubled Fordham transcript destroying my chances of being accepted into Dental schools? I am looking at NYU dental and University of Pacific as my top choices.

Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

You will need to ace that post bac. Sad thing is all those grades calculate into AADSAS even the ones you made up. You made be alright if you ace the postbac, but you may also need to pick up a masters degree. The post bac will be calculated as undergrad GPA while the masters will be a new graduate GPA. Overall you need to impress people and prove you have what it takes to make it through dental school. Also I am not going to ask you to spill your personal life just be able to tell the admissions committee the reason for your bad grades with detail.

Thanks for the advice. I am definitely going to put 200% into the post-bacc classes. After speaking with the post-bacc adviser, I decided that I was going to pretty much take all of my pre-health reqs over again. I have never taken Orgo or Physics, but in addition to those, I m going to take BioI, ChemII, genetics, and cell bio.

I was wondering, do Missing Grades (MG) get calculated into AADSAS GPA? I know all the F's do, but I have 9 credits with MG on my transcript from Fordham, and didn't know if they get factored in as well.

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
For UOP you need to get your GPA for your post-Bac to AT LEAST a 3.4, if you ace every thing its even better :) also your DAT is very important if you can score a 20 and above on most of the sections, plus a lot of shadowing and volunteering. then you have a shot at UOP also for UOP the PAT score can be very important (if u can try to get a 22 and above ) NYU might be a little easier to get in.

Yeah, you had better shine some candlepower on this last run and have a good, honest, and rational reason for the bad grades at the one school.