New to OAT

smust01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the OAT available almost every day in a year? The maximun on each section is 400, is this right? On the average, if I have a 3.5 GPA, what is the OAT score do I need to be consider as competative?

I took the DAT before and it looked like there are 2-3 versions of the tests. Does this happen with the OAT also?

I'm a predent, and my gf is pre-opt. These questions are for her in case someone is wonderring.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone tell me what practice tests, books I can use before I take the real OAT?
thank you

There is one practice test with answers on the opted.org website. Additionally, there are kaplan practice tests that you can use. Same as the DAT, only the OAT has physics.

OAT destroyer (questions and worked out answers)
Topscore (3 full length practice tests)
OAT achiever (3 full length practice tests)

Members don't see this ad :)
Does the OAT available almost every day in a year? The maximun on each section is 400, is this right? On the average, if I have a 3.5 GPA, what is the OAT score do I need to be consider as competative?

I took the DAT before and it looked like there are 2-3 versions of the tests. Does this happen with the OAT also?

I'm a predent, and my gf is pre-opt. These questions are for her in case someone is wonderring.

Thank you.
Can someone answer the bold part? thank you

Thank you.

OAT is normally available almost 4-5 days a week unless theres holidays etc...it just depends on your local prometric center

It really depends what school you're applying to in regards to what OAT score you should get...also it depends on how early you apply...if you apply realllyyyy early (like July) then you can get away with a 330 on your OATs, especially at SCCO.....all schools want each individual score to be above 300! so make sure you get that....I would shoot for a science average of 330-350

To be considered really competitive...shoot for 360s, 370s or 380s

I thought they still offered the paper version like once or twice a year??

The computer version is not that bad at all though!

I'm torn as to whether to take the paper-based G.R.E. or the computer-adaptive version. The former is offered, I think, once a year, though; but, at least it's straight-forward, without all the crap of th computerized alternative.

The best thing about computer based tests is that you receive your score right away!

By the way, Commando303, why are you taking your GREs?

Yeah, that much must be admitted. Almost everyone is eager to receive scores as soon as possible, and, with paper, the wait inevitably is of several weeks.

I'm thinking of taking the G.R.E. in case optometry doesn't work out or I decide to pursue something else alongside it. It's sort of a pain in the ass -- like the S.A.T., all over again.

Yeah, that much must be admitted. Almost everyone is eager to receive scores as soon as possible, and, with paper, the wait inevitably is of several weeks.

I'm thinking of taking the G.R.E. in case optometry doesn't work out or I decide to pursue something else alongside it. It's sort of a pain in the ass -- like the S.A.T., all over again.

Well, the OATs reminded me of the SATs as well. Loved the QR section though.

I don't know how the computerized GRE works; but it's possible that practicing with it could give you an advantage towards the OATs, since most students score poorly on Reading Comp. because of the computerized format.

The computer-adaptive G.R.E. test is very different from the paper-based mainly in how it presents questions. While the latter is, of course, of varied difficulty, and allows test-takers to skip around as they please, the former presents questions one-by-one, forcing you to confirm an answer (or confirm skipping of the question) before you can move on. As well, the questions that appear are based on how well a test-taker is doing: the better you do, the harder the questions become; the worse, the easier. (Of course, difficult questions are worth more points if answered correctly than are easy ones.) The computer just strips a great deal of control from the examinee, which I loathe.

I just registered online and am waiting to get the eligibility number. So I can register with prometric.

How long does this process take... before I hear back about the number?

On a time crunch to meet my pre-health review committee deadline :(

Carefully read all the e-mails sent to you. The information to register at Prometric may be in there.

I just registered online and am waiting to get the eligibility number. So I can register with prometric.

How long does this process take... before I hear back about the number?

On a time crunch to meet my pre-health review committee deadline :(

Ok, I ran a quick search through my emails (I love gmail).
First- 'application received' email: 07/30
Second- 'OAT eligibility letter' email: 07/31
I registered and got another confirmation the next day.

So, shouldn't take too long...maybe you've already received it?!

Thanks guys, I finally got the confirmation email this morning. I was freaking out a bit since their pamphlet said 1 week - but they were a LOT quicker. :)

Now I'm just waiting 24 hours before registering according to the email, the eligibility code doesn't currently work.

Cheers!

Carefully read all the e-mails sent to you. The information to register at Prometric may be in there.

Man, prometric seems to own all testing
2.gif