New to pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

girlspowerss

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering becoming a pharmacist... where is the best place to go to learn more?
I finished undergrad... completed all the premed requirements...
what is my best bet if I want to become a pharmacist?
how many more years of school do i need to complete before i become a pharmacist?
where/how can i learn more about this field?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

This is the place you learn more.

Most pre-med req's are also pre-pharm.

FAQ, Search and existing posts = your best friends. This has ALL been covered ad nauseum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Start with the pre-pharm FAQ sticky at the top. Some of the info is a bit dated but it will answer many, many questions. Try the search function for others and if you still have questions, this is a pretty good place to get answers.

This is the place you learn more.

I don't agree with this. I've always seen this forum as an aide to help a person get into pharmacy school. If someone has a question about the application process this site is a useful tool. For deciding a career, it is not.

To the OP, my advice is to shadow a pharmacist. If this is a career you are interested in then best way to know if this is right for you is to get some experience. All of your other questions can be answered by reading the FAQ and using the search function, but I highly recommend that you do not apply this year. Understand what you are getting yourself into before diving head first.

All of the crap s/he needs is on this forum.

How to become a pharmacist after pre-med requirements? Discussed.

Where can you learn "more" about pharmacy field? Here. Go to the Big Kids forum, and you'll learn a lot, IMO. I learned everything I knew about pharmacy from Big Kids forum before I actually started working there, and it gave me a GREAT leg up when I started volunteering, too... Because I already knew a lot of the vernacular and could communicate effectively w/ the pharmacists whereas the other volunteers could not, thus they were stuck with more menial tasks and I got ahead w/ the people that matter.

Best bet if s/he wants to become a pharmacist? Here. There are tons of threads on the best way to go about applying, doing the PS, PharmCAS, etc. The whole nine ****ing yards is on this forum, either recent or archived.

NO forum, NO search engine, NOTHING except first-hand knowledge can prepare someone, truly, for a field they'll enjoy. Sometimes people "Feel it" on a gut instinct and it turns out great. Most often times, not so lucky.

I did not mean to assert SDN can help her CHOOSE to become a pharmacist or not. Not at all. That's personal and should be based on personally observed data, such as working/vol'ing in a pharmacy! But for the rhetorical **** like "Where do I go from here?" SDN is a wonderful resource.

I don't agree with this. I've always seen this forum as an aide to help a person get into pharmacy school. If someone has a question about the application process this site is a useful tool. For deciding a career, it is not.

To the OP, my advice is to shadow a pharmacist. If this is a career you are interested in then best way to know if this is right for you is to get some experience. All of your other questions can be answered by reading the FAQ and using the search function, but I highly recommend that you do not apply this year. Understand what you are getting yourself into before diving head first.