new to predent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uclakid

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you actually have to do dental-related activities to get into a decent dental school? I've done general pre-health things (volunteering), etc. but nothing dental-related. Am I OK or no?

thanks

oh i'm applying this june.

Members don't see this ad.

uclakid said:
Do you actually have to do dental-related activities to get into a decent dental school? I've done general pre-health things (volunteering), etc. but nothing dental-related. Am I OK or no?

thanks

Regardless of whether it would be beneficial for getting into dental school, I would recommend shadowing a dentist just to see if it's something you really want to do. There's a lot more to running a practice than drilling teeth and delivering crowns. Make sure its an atmosphere you can see yourself 10, 20, 30 years from now. For me personally, I didn't know until after my first day of shadowing and observing the rapport the dentist had with his patients, that this would be something I could devote my life to.

what they said..

you can even check out your local dental school and see if they have a program for undergrads to assist their 4th year students in procedures..

btw: welcome to dentistry better than medicine :)

Members don't see this ad :)
uclakid said:

thanks

Check to see if any of the CA schools have some sort of a "preview of dentistry" program or internship. I did one in NJ and it really helped me make up my mind about dentistry. Also, it shows the schools you are serious about dentistry, which, I believe, is most important to them.

Here is a link for the NJ program
http://dentalschool.umdnj.edu/gateway.htm

Best to you
DMD_hopeful

uclakid said:

thanks

You definitely need to shadow a dentist, volunteer or work in a dental office. I don't believe anyone can get in any dental school without it. It is even better if you visit several practices (see various specialties). You'll enjoy it! If you've done general volunteering before, I would just concentrate on dentistry related activities from now on. You want to have a very good idea why you want to be a dentist and if dentistry is the right career for you.

However, while you are doing all of the above and participating in other extracurricular activities, do not forget that your high GPA and DAT scores are the ONLY things that will determine whether you will get in a decent dental school or not. I'm not saying that everything else does not matter. It does, but a person who has 10 years of dental and volunteering experience and does not have the grades, will not be accepted to a "decent dental school".

It's very smart of you that you are planning to apply early. You'll appreciate it next December!

Best of luck

DMD_hopeful said:
Check to see if any of the CA schools have some sort of a "preview of dentistry" program or internship. I did one in NJ and it really helped me make up my mind about dentistry. Also, it shows the schools you are serious about dentistry, which, I believe, is most important to them.

Here is a link for the NJ program
http://dentalschool.umdnj.edu/gateway.htm

Best to you
DMD_hopeful

I did this program at it was excellent. In fact, I had the distinct honor of meetin DMD_hopefull in person when I was there.

DMD Hopeful,
Couldn't help but notice those awesome, strinkingly superb stats, congrats on all those acceptances, I would LOVE to be in your position right now...ah maybe next year...your stats look somewhat like mine...that is if I can pull a nice DAT score like yours...taking it in April. As far as dental related activities are concerened for the posters sake, by all means, get involved, it can't hurt, but certainly is not required to get accepted...I know a few who didn't have any volunteer exp., just great DATs and a decent GPA, and got into dental school...this is rare though mind you.

agree with most of the above. at a bare minimum you will need to observe in a dentist office for a few days so that you can get the required letter of recommendation from a dentist and show that you know what you're signing up for. and the more dental specific experience the better. also agree that as far as getting into the more competitive schools, grades are the most important part of getting interviews there, not experience or extracurriculars or anything else. then once you have that interview, that is where being personable and well rounded, and proving that you know what dentistry is all about through your experience comes more into play.

edknarf said:
I did this program at it was excellent. In fact, I had the distinct honor of meetin DMD_hopefull in person when I was there.

My pleasure as well.. :)

dexadental said:
DMD Hopeful,
Couldn't help but notice those awesome, strinkingly superb stats, congrats on all those acceptances, I would LOVE to be in your position right now...ah maybe next year...your stats look somewhat like mine...that is if I can pull a nice DAT score like yours...taking it in April.

Thanks for the compliment. Wish you the best of luck in April and for the '06 application cycle. My advice on the DAT is to learn from everyone's mistakes here. You can defintely pick up some good pointers on this site.

uclakid said:

You are fine (although doing dental-related things is better for your knowledge of the profession and for your own personal satisfcation when it comes to be assured that you are choosing the right career for yourself).