New to reapplication, question about post-baccs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tacrum43

Behold the mighty echidna
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to medical school this past year and while I haven't been rejected from all of the schools I've applied to, I haven't had any interviews either. So, this late in the game I thought I should start planning ahead for what I'm going to do next year. I've been reading about various post-bacc programs including BU, UPenn, Georgetown and Loyola but I don't quite understand why you take actual medical school courses at some of these. Is it only to show that you can make it if accepted to medical school and then you have to take these courses again once you get into a medical school or do they count for credit at medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Of the ones you mentioned, BU and Georgetown are the programs that include medical school courses. And you are correct--the point is to prove that you can succeed in medical school-level classes. If your undergrad performance was questionable and you successfully complete a graduate program that includes med classes, it's like saying, "I don't think I can handle the rigor of medical classes, I know I can handle medical school classes. Granted you aren't taking all medical school classes, but at these programs you may be taking mostly medical school courses. This allows you to get somewhat better grades than if you were taking all medical school classes and at the same time you greatly attenuate any doubts of your ability to succeed in medical school that may be held by adcom members. At some of these programs (e.g. BU), you do not have to take the courses over again should you matriculate to that same institution. If you decide to attend another institution, chances are more than likely that you'll have to repeat.

Thanks for the info :thumbup: