New to SDN/Pharm

LabBrat04

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2004
CA
    Hi everyone :) I just joined SDN and was hoping you guys could help me out. I was originally pre-med, but lately I have been thinking about pharmacy. I am taking a protein structure/function class this quarter, and I got really interested in structure-based drug design and pharmaceuticals. I don't know how competitive it is to get into pharmacy school, and what the adcom's look for. I am graduating this June with a BS in Biochemistry. I think my overall GPA will be around a 3.6. I work in a Biochem research lab (have been for the last 1.5 years) and I have lots of volunteer hours (none pharm though). What do you guys think?? What should I do to gain experience? Good or bad, any advice/help would be much appreciated....

Welcome to the board! Your GPA looks great and the BS in Biochem will definitely make you a competitive candidate. Depending on which schools you are interested in, many require PCAT scores, so you should probably take that. Also, I think it helps to have some pharmacy work experience, so you might try something like that.

Good luck!

gdk420

7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Jun 9, 2003
      I was wondering, what are u actually interested in? are u interested in lab research where u design the drugs, clinical research where u have outcome studies, or just pure treating patient? or even some combo of the two.
      Actually your grades put u at an excellent chance of getting into pharmacy school. However, you might be lacking in experience. Depending on which direction in pharmacy you want to take I can give u some advice. Just pm me if u want to talk.

About the Ads

lilmk

7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Aug 4, 2003
        if you're in to structure and design of pharmaceuticals, have you thought of trying for a PhD rather than a pharmD? It might suit your interests more and lead you into drug design and research and development.

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.