New to SDN/Pharm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LabBrat04

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone :) I just joined SDN and was hoping you guys could help me out. I was originally pre-med, but lately I have been thinking about pharmacy. I am taking a protein structure/function class this quarter, and I got really interested in structure-based drug design and pharmaceuticals. I don't know how competitive it is to get into pharmacy school, and what the adcom's look for. I am graduating this June with a BS in Biochemistry. I think my overall GPA will be around a 3.6. I work in a Biochem research lab (have been for the last 1.5 years) and I have lots of volunteer hours (none pharm though). What do you guys think?? What should I do to gain experience? Good or bad, any advice/help would be much appreciated....

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the board! Your GPA looks great and the BS in Biochem will definitely make you a competitive candidate. Depending on which schools you are interested in, many require PCAT scores, so you should probably take that. Also, I think it helps to have some pharmacy work experience, so you might try something like that.

Good luck!

I was wondering, what are u actually interested in? are u interested in lab research where u design the drugs, clinical research where u have outcome studies, or just pure treating patient? or even some combo of the two.
Actually your grades put u at an excellent chance of getting into pharmacy school. However, you might be lacking in experience. Depending on which direction in pharmacy you want to take I can give u some advice. Just pm me if u want to talk.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you're in to structure and design of pharmaceuticals, have you thought of trying for a PhD rather than a pharmD? It might suit your interests more and lead you into drug design and research and development.

Thank you for your help... I am definitely interested in patient contact, and some clinical research. gdk, I pm'd you.