New to SDN/Pharm

Started by LabBrat04
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LabBrat04

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone 🙂 I just joined SDN and was hoping you guys could help me out. I was originally pre-med, but lately I have been thinking about pharmacy. I am taking a protein structure/function class this quarter, and I got really interested in structure-based drug design and pharmaceuticals. I don't know how competitive it is to get into pharmacy school, and what the adcom's look for. I am graduating this June with a BS in Biochemistry. I think my overall GPA will be around a 3.6. I work in a Biochem research lab (have been for the last 1.5 years) and I have lots of volunteer hours (none pharm though). What do you guys think?? What should I do to gain experience? Good or bad, any advice/help would be much appreciated....
 
Welcome to the board! Your GPA looks great and the BS in Biochem will definitely make you a competitive candidate. Depending on which schools you are interested in, many require PCAT scores, so you should probably take that. Also, I think it helps to have some pharmacy work experience, so you might try something like that.

Good luck!
 
I was wondering, what are u actually interested in? are u interested in lab research where u design the drugs, clinical research where u have outcome studies, or just pure treating patient? or even some combo of the two.
Actually your grades put u at an excellent chance of getting into pharmacy school. However, you might be lacking in experience. Depending on which direction in pharmacy you want to take I can give u some advice. Just pm me if u want to talk.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
if you're in to structure and design of pharmaceuticals, have you thought of trying for a PhD rather than a pharmD? It might suit your interests more and lead you into drug design and research and development.
 
Thank you for your help... I am definitely interested in patient contact, and some clinical research. gdk, I pm'd you.