new to the board...just a few quick quesitons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

margeraistheman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I've been pursuing a dental school dream for about a year, I'm currently a sophomore in college and majoring in biology with a minor in accounting. Yeah I know they're too completely unrelated disciplines but I feel accounting will be most beneficial being that we all plan to start our own businesses one day. Anywho, Currently my GPA lurks around a 3.5, with english 101/102, gen chem 1/2, bio 1, and college algebra/precalc completed. Only problem is...I attend community college, and am opting to take my organic chemistries at a four year university, most likely University of Florida in the fall of '04. Considering all of this, when should I take my DAT? Of course I think I need to actually take organic before taking the DAT but I am curious. I won't be taking organic until like I said, my junior year. Since I'm a newbie to the board, but not to dentistry (I've been wanting to do this forever), hopefully somebody can help me out. Good luck to all of you, and your expertise is most appreciated...

Members don't see this ad.

1. Welcome to SDN

2. you are correct, accounting will help a lot when you have to run your own business.

3. talk to your advisor about applying to D-school and taking the DAT

4. take the DAT when ready to apply

5. try to take the rest of your pre-requisites at a 4 year college/university since usually adcoms are more interested in the courses taken there.

6. go to UF webpage and look for their requirements (they have specific ones and you have to a FL resident to get in)

7. read the past posts on here.

8. good luck to you

Comet

Most people apply the summer before their senior year.... Or early 1st semester. Some people may also apply early and be accepted after only 90+ hours without a degree.

I guess a good time for you to take the dat is the summer after you do organic.... Study during the summer for awhile then book a time to take the test.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also just general advice.... A lot of people will tell you that getting into dental school is harder than it really is and a lot of people will tell you it is easier than it really is. So if you hear someone talking of extremes in difficulty at either end of the spectrum they are probably full of ****.

lol...thanks guys, I'll be volunteering soon, I don't plan to specialize as I find general dentistry incredibly interesting (more variety than specialization/more options...in my opinion)...I just wanna get into dental school. IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK? haha...thanks again guys for the info...I'm sure I'll have more questions soon and of course be helping others out on here.
Until then,
Good LUCK!
Bam's alter ego