New to the post-bac idea

Started by Gallah08
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Gallah08

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,
I am totally new to this forum, and could use major help. I am currently entering my senior year in college. I am a psychology major with a bio minor. My overall GPA is about 2.5. I want to go to medical school, but I know my grades don't show it at all. I have quite a few retakes, and have done better, but at the same time I have retaken some classes twice and passed on teh third time. I know its not great. What are my choices after college? Can I do a post-bac program? If so, how does that help me towards what I want to do in the end (go to med school).I am really at a lost.
 
well, you have an entire year infront of you right now,
if you take 15 credits right now and 15 credits for the spring semester, and rock a 3.7 in both of them, I think you'll be amazed to see how much your GPA will move up...

Besides it will be a really nice upward trend, if you top if off with a 1 to 2 year post-bacc, It might, just might push you over the 3.0 or 3.1 (who knows, maybe even more if you work your @$$ off)
 
so when would i apply for a post bacc program? should i retake classes where I got D's in even if the grade only averages out because I've used up all my retakes?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so when would i apply for a post bacc program? should i retake classes where I got D's in even if the grade only averages out because I've used up all my retakes?

Well I was under the impression that even though your particular school may let you replace them AMCAS (not sure about acomas) sees all your grades and averages them all out.

I applied for post bacc programs (BU and Drexel) at the end of my senior year of undergrad, around march. Some would say I was a little late.