New to the post-bac idea

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gallah08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am totally new to this forum, and could use major help. I am currently entering my senior year in college. I am a psychology major with a bio minor. My overall GPA is about 2.5. I want to go to medical school, but I know my grades don't show it at all. I have quite a few retakes, and have done better, but at the same time I have retaken some classes twice and passed on teh third time. I know its not great. What are my choices after college? Can I do a post-bac program? If so, how does that help me towards what I want to do in the end (go to med school).I am really at a lost.

Members don't see this ad.

well, you have an entire year infront of you right now,
if you take 15 credits right now and 15 credits for the spring semester, and rock a 3.7 in both of them, I think you'll be amazed to see how much your GPA will move up...

Besides it will be a really nice upward trend, if you top if off with a 1 to 2 year post-bacc, It might, just might push you over the 3.0 or 3.1 (who knows, maybe even more if you work your @$$ off)

so when would i apply for a post bacc program? should i retake classes where I got D's in even if the grade only averages out because I've used up all my retakes?

Members don't see this ad :)
so when would i apply for a post bacc program? should i retake classes where I got D's in even if the grade only averages out because I've used up all my retakes?

Well I was under the impression that even though your particular school may let you replace them AMCAS (not sure about acomas) sees all your grades and averages them all out.

I applied for post bacc programs (BU and Drexel) at the end of my senior year of undergrad, around march. Some would say I was a little late.

AMCAS takes all of your grades regardless of post-bac or undergrad and averages them out. AACOMAS takes the best grade in a course and uses that instead of averaging out the retakes.