New to this idea of going MD, where do I go from here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allopathicartist

Reaction score
I'm currently two years out from my undergrad and have been doing a sort of "DIY post-bacc". I don't really consider myself a non-trad as of yet so here I am on this thread.. Anyways, I've been preparing for PA school for the past three years but due to this, that, and the other I'm strongly considering applying to med school. Because this is a relatively knew avenue for me, I'd love to share my background and get some advice on where to go from here and my chances (with and without any future changes). Any preparation advice is appreciated as I am still pretty unfamiliar with the application process.

-

My overall GPA is currently 3.2 but my last 60 credit GPA is 3.6. Most of the basic prereq's I took during my early undergrad years when I was less than mature and motivated. BUT.. a lot of my other sciences are great since I've taken them for PA prereqs including immunology, genetics, cell bio, micro, anatomy, physio, biochem, etc. (mostly A's with one or two B's). So clear upwards trend in my GPA but I'm not sure how this is considered?

Volunteer hours: ~100
Shadowing hours: ~ 50. I don't foresee problems getting more shadowing hours (work at a hospital, lots of connections, etc.)
Patient Care Experience: ~7000 hours but the time I would apply (ER tech, ER scribe, PT intern, and cardiac clinic intern)
Numerous non-patient care jobs over the years, extracurriculars, etc.
State of Residency: VA

Other than taking the MCAT where do I go from here? Where do I stand? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Your overall GPA places you below average for medical school matriculants but your patient care experience is well above average. The upward trend only tells me that your early years were pretty bad (maybe < 3.0). Sadly, experience is not a substitute for an academic record.

You appear to have had enough coursework to be ready for the MCAT (have you taken any courses in sociology/psychology?). Dig around here to learn more about how to prep for the MCAT and give yourself adequate time to understand the test and the test taking strategies and to build your endurance (it is a 7 hour exam!). You should be aiming to take the MCAT in April so as to apply in June 2019 and matriculate in Summer 2020.

Have you shadowed a DO? Are you open to a career in osteopathic medicine? @Goro can tell you if you are a good candidate.

Keep working on volunteerism. Try to average 1-2 hours per week which becomes 50-100 hours per year.

At this point, prepping for the MCAT should be your next step. How you do on the MCAT will then determine whether you should apply with a low GPA/high MCAT or if you should take a different path to medical school or consider a different profession.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm currently two years out from my undergrad and have been doing a sort of "DIY post-bacc". I don't really consider myself a non-trad as of yet so here I am on this thread.. Anyways, I've been preparing for PA school for the past three years but due to this, that, and the other I'm strongly considering applying to med school. Because this is a relatively knew avenue for me, I'd love to share my background and get some advice on where to go from here and my chances (with and without any future changes). Any preparation advice is appreciated as I am still pretty unfamiliar with the application process.

-

My overall GPA is currently 3.2 but my last 60 credit GPA is 3.6. Most of the basic prereq's I took during my early undergrad years when I was less than mature and motivated. BUT.. a lot of my other sciences are great since I've taken them for PA prereqs including immunology, genetics, cell bio, micro, anatomy, physio, biochem, etc. (mostly A's with one or two B's). So clear upwards trend in my GPA but I'm not sure how this is considered?

Volunteer hours: ~100
Shadowing hours: ~ 50. I don't foresee problems getting more shadowing hours (work at a hospital, lots of connections, etc.)
Patient Care Experience: ~7000 hours but the time I would apply (ER tech, ER scribe, PT intern, and cardiac clinic intern)
Numerous non-patient care jobs over the years, extracurriculars, etc.
State of Residency: VA

Other than taking the MCAT where do I go from here? Where do I stand? Thanks in advance!
Maintain the excellent grades. I susepct that your best chances will be with the VA schools.
As the wise LizzyM suggests, shadow a DO and get LOR from same.
Rising GPA trends are always good, and many med schools reward reinvention.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Goro and @LizzyM thank you both for your words of advice!

What is the deal with the state residencies? I'm unfamiliar with why your recommendations would be only VA schools as opposed to schools in other states.

Also I'm definitely not opposed to DO! Many of the EM and even a few of the trauma surgery docs I work with are DO's so I would love to start there. I would still like to apply to MD programs though. Am I very far off from being a possible candidate or just not the typical acceptance? I can't imagine there aren't any other successful MD students with a similar background. @Goro do you have any further recommendations towards this "reinvention"?

@Goro and @LizzyM thank you both for your words of advice!

What is the deal with the state residencies? I'm unfamiliar with why your recommendations would be only VA schools as opposed to schools in other states.

Also I'm definitely not opposed to DO! Many of the EM and even a few of the trauma surgery docs I work with are DO's so I would love to start there. I would still like to apply to MD programs though. Am I very far off from being a possible candidate or just not the typical acceptance? I can't imagine there aren't any other successful MD students with a similar background. @Goro do you have any further recommendations towards this "reinvention"?
State schools are usually mandated to favor in-state residents. VCU is one of the few that seems not to.

It's very common for people to start off poorly and then improve. Not everyone is meant to go to college at age 18, or they start college not interested in a career in Medicine, and so slack off on the science coursework.

read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Reactions: 1 user