New UHS internet ambassador

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mark McNemar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
My name is Mark McNemar, and I am a year I student. I have recently been appointed to Internet Ambassador. If you have any questions about the Genesis curriculum, Kansas City, or anything about UHS, I have direct access to statistics and other things that most don't have access to. If you are a prospective student, post it here and I'll get back to you. You can also E-mail me at [email protected].
thank you,
Mark

Members don't see this ad.

It is great to have you here Mark. I look forward to meeting you in person in August. In the mean time I do have a question. My wife and I are looking for a house in the KC area. What neighborhoods would you recommend? So far we have been impressed with the Prairie Village area. We're looking in the range of 80-100K (preferably closer to 80K).
Thanks,
Jamison

[This message has been edited by jamison (edited 03-12-2001).]

Jamison,
Great I'm glad to see you coming. I live very close to Prairie Village, and I have no complaints except for the rush hour traffic in the evening. As a MS-I you'll be in anatomy lab till about 5:30 on Tues. and Thurs. for two of the four blocks that you do Gross Anatomy. If you take a place there I would find an alternate route home. As for a home I'm not real familiar with what's for sale or the cost, however I'll check into it and post something soon.
Mark

Members don't see this ad :)
Jamison,
I just checked kcstar.com and you can check any specific area around KC go to "find a home" and then type in prairie village or Roland Park or Mission or fairway those are all good places that are in that general area. It takes me about 15 min to get to school at about 7:30 in the morning taking the interstate.
Mark

Internet Ambassador?! Very cool, Mark. What will they think of next?!

Jamison - I look forward to meeting you, too this fall
smile.gif
Congrats on your acceptance.

------------------
Sara
UHS Class of 2004

Hey Mark,
My name is Calvin. I will be attending UHS this fall, so I am very excited. I am curious when it will be a good time to move to KC. Will housing be hard to find around mid-July or so? Thanks for your advice.

Calvin

Calvin,
I think the beginning of July or August is probably the best time to move out here. I don't think that finding a place to live will be much of a problem at either time. It takes a couple of weeks to get used to the diagonal streets of KC and the "wrap-around I-435". As a general rule, (and I stress general) rent costs a little less in MO than KS. Keep that in mind when looking around. Also Apartment Search is a free service that finds rent openings. They put in your specifications (distance from UHS, bedrooms, price ect.), and tell you how to get there. I used them and had no problem.
Mark

hello Mark,

I am a prospective student applying this summer. What kind of patient interactions are you offered in the first two years at UHS? what do you personally think of the genesis curriculum?

thanks

12R34Y,
Actually, the patient interaction is as much as you want to make of it. There are "Early Clinical Experiences" that the school has set up for us. They are set up on Wed. afternoons after class. Some were good some were not so good. During the summer break there are usually opportunities for students to get good clinical experiences. (That is if you are motivated enough) Now on to the hot topic, Genesis. Genesis has its good and bad points, just like any curriculum in the nation. By the time you get here the major "kinks" should be worked out. ex. abnormal before normal Histology. The best part about Genesis is that during rotations you should shine. The worst is that the information is given in such a manner that you get 1st and 2nd year all at once. ex. We did all the respiratory phys. biochem. pharm. path. histo. anatomy and clinical applications all at once. While that doesn't sound all that bad, next year when the boards come around we'll have to go way back to first year to remember the drug interactions and adverse effects of the antibiotics. There is a lot of talk about how we aren't going to get this and that for the boards, but I don't think that the administration would let our 97% first time pass rate fall too much. They have invested way to much time and money in this.
Mark

Congratulations to all who have been accepted into the class of 2005. I also look forward to meeting you all.

Vic McNerney
Class 2004

Mark and Sara: Shouldn't you be studying cardio?

Mark...what a cool position. Internet Ambassador!! So what is your function? SDN watchdog?

On to more important topics....

Since you seem to speak candidly about Genesis, do you feel that you are getting a complete education in the basic sciences? Do you think that your class will be able to perform equal to past levels on both the COMLEX and the USMLE? Hour for hour are you getting the same basic science education that previous classes at UHS have gotten? Any truth to the rumor that professors are bailing due to the new curriculum?

I hope as an internet ambassador(!?!) that you'll have time to answer these questions as well as study for your up coming test block.

Sincerely......

Hello fellow UHS MSI's and incoming UHS students. I decided to join the fun and help answer new student's questions. Wish you guys were around when I was going thru all of this. Keep up the good work, Mark, Vic, Sara and anyone else I missed. And UHSMadman, go to bed!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Mark,
I posted a question for you concerning places to live in KC in the Pre-Osteopathic forum, but I think it got swallowed up by a brewing flame war between current UHS students about Genesis. So I'll repost here............ I was just hoping you could give me a "heads up" on where my family and I should live. We're looking for a "burb"-like setting with a good/safe school district.
I also had questions concerning your daily schedule as a med student. How long are you in class/lab. What about the testing schedule, homework(other than studying), etc?

I'll be sending in my matriculation fee and deposit this weekend.......so KC here I come!

Thanks in advance for your reply

Internet ambassador? Good Lord. UHS truly is unique. Damage control taken to a new level. Do they have hall monitors too now...University High School.

UHSMADMAN,
To tell you the truth, I don't know if we are or not. I haven't seen the MS-2 schedule. One professor said that the bulk of the biochem will be then, and another professor said that we will get all the basic sciences by the end of year two. I want to be a surgeon so I need high scores. Just like any other school, I think what it boils down to is studying for the boards with a review book or class. I have a review book for USMLE and I think so far we are getting a good foundation. I don't think that the administration will let this project fail. They have a vested interest in it, and they want to see it work. I'm not too worried.
Mark

Tostra,
I'm checking into school districts for you. I'll repost when I get more info. As far as MS-I schedules go, It's set up like this 30% of your final 6 week block grade is on these weekly "quizzes". The other 70% is for labs and the final. We have our quizzes on Monday's at 8:00 and there are 2 questions per lecture so about 30-40 total depending. This makes constant studying a priority. I study from Wed-Sun a little at a time till about 7 or so. Some do more; some do less depends on you. The class is divided into 4 sections alphabetically by last name. Sections A&B are usually together for labs, and C&D are usually together. The groups switch of lab times each test block. Ex-> I'm in group C. Right now I have anatomy lab from 3:30-5:30, but next test block I have anatomy from 1-3. The final has 1 question from each lecture and maybe a few from the Clinical Labs. Our last section final was 154 questions to be completed in three hours. Since most students keep up studying for the final isn't as bad as it would be if there were no quizzes. I hope this answered some questions.
Mark

jamison,

Your best resource for finding a home from a far is to go to www.realtor.com. You can search homes in various areas of Kansas City and for your budget you can restrict the search between $75-100k. It is my opinion that you will find neighborhoods that directly correlate to the average price of the home there. You should be able to find a perfectly adequate home and neighborhood in your price range, even the bottom end of your price range. One thing that most students don't seem to think about is that if you are buying a home you are probabaly hoping to stay here for the whole four years. The teaching hospital for UHS is The Medical Center of Independence(MCI). If you live in Kansas or very far North of the river, you may be close to school, but MCI is at least another 20-30 minutes East and a little South of UHS. For map reference it is just East of the intersection of HWY 291 and 23rd street. Despite what the neighborhood around UHS looks like there are many nice areas in Eastern Jackson County. You would not be far from school and in the last two years, significantly closer to MCI. On a final note, generally speaking, you will get more house for your money in Missouri than in Kansas. Good Luck.

Hey tostra, we looked into school districts before moving to KC and the best districts that we heard of was Blue Springs, Park Hill and Liberty. You can find these districts online and look for individual school scores if you want to go that far. I'll have to email you when I have more time to look up the web adresses for those. We currently live in Liberty which takes us about 15 minutes to get back and forth. On heavier traffic days, the commute won't take any longer than 25 minutes--unless of course the weather's really bad. Congratulations on your acceptance, I'm sure you and your family are very excited. Take care and please don't hesitate to email us with any other questions.

***Just trying to help you out Mark--I'm sure you're as busy as we are!!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by dreamTeam (edited March 21, 2001).]

Hey guys....thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it. Having the names of those school districts is a great start!! I'll start doing some research on it and will let you know if any more questions pop up. BTW, dreamteam.... I'm assuming you have children and are attending UHS.......how is your daily life? Still able to spend time with your little Kiddo/s? This is the part of med school that worries me most.....I'm sure things will be fine, but it always helps to hear from those that have or are living thru it beforehand. Take care and look forward to hearing from you.

Mark,

I just interviewed at UHS and loved the school. The only thing I am concerned about is the new curriculum. I just wish it was one more year old so that we would have your board scores back to make sure that no major damage was done. Then again I suppose that it is what you make of it huh! Please be honest and tell me if there is anything that displeases you about the school, however small it may be! Thanks for your info.

Tiff

Tiff,
I think that it would be nice if it were another year old also. At least your thinking ahead. When I made my decision board scores didn't even cross my mind. I think that we'll be okay. Our class President was a third year at an MD school. I asked him today what he thought about the preparation for the boards. (He has already passed USMLE step 1 and been on a year of rotations.) He said there is absolutely nothing to worry about. The COMLEX people were just here a couple of weeks ago. They showed some sample COMLEX questions and we were right on track. As for the USMLE, it is a different test you'll have to study different for it. There is a lot of concern here at school for the future of our board scores. UHS has a tradition of absolutely crushing the boards, and they plan to continue this. Most people don't know this but the last few weeks of our second year will be devoted completely to the boards. Furthermore, we will absolutely shine on our rotations. Remember that board scores help, but if the Residents and the attending know you (and you did well on their rotation) you have a real good chance of getting it. Hope this helps.
Mark

Mark,

Do you know if there is a break between 1st and 2nd years? Between years 2 and 3? The catalog lists MSII students have a summer didactic session. When do you become an MSII? Is the summer didactic right before your clinical years?

Thanks

Hey Mark, I noticed in the catalog, students must have health insurance prior to matriculation. Does UHS offer their students and families such insurance or are we on our own? Since my family and I are moving from out of state, we will lose the health insurance offered thru my wifes employment (unless we wanted to pay out the yahoo to keep it). Anyways, let me know if there are any other options...... thanks in advance.

p.s. I also wanted to revive this thread, since it seems like it's been awhile since anything about UHS has been posted.........c'mon fellow UHS'ers let's represent!!!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by tostra (edited April 26, 2001).]

Hi everybody,

I'm attending in the fall, and look forward to meeting you!

electra

I'm going to be living with a fellow UHSer pretty much directly south of Worlds of Fun (about 12 minutes away from school) in a nice apartment complex. Where are all of you living? I can't wait to meet you all. Maybe some of us on SDN can meet up right before school starts and go to a Royals game, drink a few cold ones, and enjoy ourselves before the fun begins.

-Nathan (UHS-COM '05)

Does anyone know of a site where one can look up the match results for UHS for either 2000 or 2001?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave-

You can call up to the admissions office and they will send you a breakdown, based on percentages. However, it wasn't of much use because it didn't list specialties that they went into (and where for that matter- except a couple cases). Hope this helps!

-Nathan

Thanks Nathan. Yea, I don't think that would be of much help to me. It'd be nice to know the actual breakdown by individual cases. Thanks for the reply though.

Dave

I'm not quite sure where I'll be living yet. My wife and I are flying out to KC July 4-8 to go apt hunting. We pretty much plan on finding someplace north of the river, maybe Gladstone, KC North, or Liberty area. We're pretty excited about the whole thing.

Hey Nathan, a Royals game sounds like fun, they're not doing so great this season, unlike "my" Mariners
smile.gif
But I would love to check out Kauffman Stadium, sometime while I'm in KC. I figure I better do it before classes start, I may not get another chance otherwise
smile.gif

Look forward to meeting everyone soon! Enjoy your summer!!!

[This message has been edited by tostra (edited April 27, 2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Mark McNemar:
Hello,
My name is Mark McNemar, and I am a year I student. I have recently been appointed to Internet Ambassador. If you have any questions about the Genesis curriculum, Kansas City, or anything about UHS, I have direct access to statistics and other things that most don't have access to. If you are a prospective student, post it here and I'll get back to you. You can also E-mail me at [email protected].
thank you,
Mark

Excellent.

Nathan and Roughgod- regarding the residency listings.. they do put out a list stating where each student is going and to what program. They gave us a copy of it at the beginning of the year. I'd try calling the school once more and asking specifically for a person by person breakdown.. let me know if this doesn't work for you and I'll try to get a copy of it for you.

The Royals games are a lot of fun. I would definately try to go before school starts, it'll be much more enjoyable going to one without the stress of studying hanging over you!

I hope all of you Class of 2005'ers try to make it to KC and get settled in before the weekend before orientation starts. There's going to be some fun get-to-know everyone activites, possibly including that Royals game or a Wizards (soccer) game, along with a picnic, etc. Should be a good time.

------------------
Sara
UHS Class of 2004

Hey kids, does anyone know the actual date of our White Coat Ceremony? My parents are coming in form out of town and I want to give them a date.

The pre-orientation festivities sound great too. Everyone I have talked to is planning on being in KC at least a few weeks prior so it shouldn't be a problem to get a group together.

The White Count Ceremony is Thursday, August 16. When I called around a month ago, they did not know the exact time though.

Does anyone know the number of guests each student is able to bring?

Thanks

Hey Bound,
The White Coat Ceremony is at 7:00 at the Music Hall downtown on Aug 16. They aren't really limiting the number of guests you can bring, but ask that if you bring more than six you let the Student Activities or Marketing Office know. Official invitations will be mailed later this spring. I've invited my whole family - close to 10-15 people. Not sure if they'll all make it though. It's supposed to be a pretty nice ceremony. Do other med schools do this?

Hey Mark,
I will be attending UHS this fall. I just received a letter stating that beginning this year, students will be required to have a computer. My question for you is which is better, a desktop or a laptop? Is a laptop really necessary? Are there outlets in the classrooms for intranet usage? Thanks!

Hope 2001,
Sorry, about the Hiatus finals were getting the best of me. From my understanding, Dr. Kevin Treffer, D.O. is putting together a OMM residency program. I don't think the specifics are out yet on how many are accepted or how many slots are available. There are 7 faculty members in our department and we get training from beginning to end of the first two years.
On your other questions, I probably am not the best person to ask about why I came to UHS. I chose it because it was close to home, and my undergrad school kept saying how great it was. I agree with my Pitt State colleges, it is a great school. Probably the most unique thing about UHS is the curriculum. I am doing a practicum now with a family doc back home, and he is amazed with what we have been taught so far. It will look good during MSIII and MSIV. The new curriculum is a touchy subject to most, and like all other possible formats it has an up side and a down side. The upside is what I just said above. The down side is that the system based learning covers everything at once so when COMLEX 1 comes around the "harder subjects" like Path and Pharm need a lot of revisiting where as it would still be decently fresh in your mind via traditional curriculum. If you know that going in it shouldn't be a problem. Like I've said before, UHS has really committed themselves to this curriculum. They do not what to see it fail.
Good Luck to you. If there is anything else I can help you with let me know.
Mark

Hope2001,

Just to give you guys an extra heads up about UHSCOM, I'm also another 2nd year-to-be. A quick word about our OMM fellowship, 2 positions are offered (this is different than the proposed OMT residency program that's being built at the moment). As far as our OMT Dept., there are 4 full time faculty that are pretty good, and 4 table trainers who circle the labs. I'd have to say our most brilliant osteopath is Dr. Legg, one of the older docs, but certainly the most experienced! If you're interested in manual medicine, definately join our UAAO group - there are a bunch of us that are totally in manipulative medicine and can't wait to help out the next year's class. We're already in the midst of getting guest OMM clinicians for next year so we're pretty excited about how next year's OMT is gonna be. If you wanna be good, you gotta practice!!!
As far as our curriculum goes, I think it rocks!!! Learning from a "systems" based approach has definately helped me out with understanding disease, the bugs, and drugs that go along with whatever we're covering. Our "systems" based curriculum is not like the traditional systems based that I'm sure you've heard of. Our systems refers to the integration of pharm, immuno, path, physiol., blah blah when discussing a particular organ system. Versus the traditional systems based where you cover all the basic sciences of a particular organ system minus the pharm, path. and other usual second year junk. You'll definately be getting your money's worth in terms of basic sciences/clinical medicine education at our college. And just as a marker, we first years had to take an end of the year exam(sort of a cumulative test similar to the COMLEX and a mock-USMLE) I believe to assess the curriculum, and although most of us didn't study all that much for it, we felt pretty confident with the questions having covered just one year of material. So hopefully that'll ease some concerns about schooling. And if you're worried about not remembering the pathology/pharm. you learned from your first year, try remembering the enzymes involved in Heme synthesis or breakdown by the time you take your boards!! Good luck and I hope you decide on UHSCOM, it'll be worth it!.

I think one must point out the weaknesses of UHS...they are like ALL of osteopathic medicine. DO students are like nomads...we travel our 3rd and 4th years like visitors to each hospital. Never really having true organized teaching didactics like allopathic schools. Our preceptors aren't paid for teaching, giving them little desire to do so. Ask any graduating senior that rotated with allopathic students, their didactics are FAR superior and much like what Jeremy Weiss D.O. said in "The Definitive Guide for the D.O. seeking an M.D. Residency" "...Botsford, Genesys, and Doctors Hospital are the very best that osteopathic training has to offer...there can be no comparison. The apex of osteopathic training is the nadir of allopathic training."
Be aware you incoming first years and you budding 2nd and 3rd years. There is much you have to work for, and what you may get is the scraps of the floor. Work hard, rotate at university hospitals, and never be satisfied with what UHS will offer you.

To all you current students. Just a few dumb questions.

1. Do MS1s get the summer after their first year off?? I know there is a month off after the summer semester. I just don't know if 1st years attend the summer semester. It is just not clear in the materials I have seen so far.

2. I noticed in the last post that we are like "nomads". Regarding rotations, (if we stay in the KC area for them)will we rotate through hospitals and clinics in the general KC area or do we have to travel long distances???

Thanks

Let me make this perfectly clear...as an upperclassman, UHS students are essentially sent out on their own to fend for themselves. It is a HUGE problem at UHS. Compared to allopathic schools, you will recieve virtually NO instruction or guidance regarding rotations. Didactics are awful compared to allopathic institutions. You must fend for yourself during your 4th year.
Let me also say that UHS is NOTORIUS for having too large of class sizes...thus hindering 3rd year quality rotations. DO factory.

The Truth will set you Freeee!

To Hope 2001 and others who are concerned about "safe" neighborhoods:

I have lived in KC most of my adult life and 2 blocks away from UHS for 20+ years (yeah, I'm an OLD premed!) Anyway, the neighborhood that UHS is situated in is the first residential neighborhood in KC and has been declared an historic district. The neighborhood association is very active and strong and money is pouring in by the bucket-loads to fix it up, because as is typical with old residential neighborhoods near downtown areas, they get rundown first and most and the homes lose value after everyone moves out to the suburbs. UHS has itself been very proactive and committed to helping the neighborhood, and I know for a fact that not more than 2 blocks away, a beautiful mansion has been restored to period and has recently been appraised at nearly $500,000. Other homes are in the process of being restored, the motels (where the "crack-******" used to congregate) are being torn down, and the projects across from UHS are now very beautiful and there is a KC Police Dept annex situated right in it. (And people who don't have a job are not allowed to live in them anymore.)

A few more blocks away, more Victorian and Queen Anne period homes and mansions have been restored and are appraising out in excess of $100,000 - $1,000,000 and more. It is entirely possible to purchase a nice two-story brownstone for $50-70K, live on one level and rent the other and therefore live basically "rent-free" while going through med school, not more than a few blocks away from UHS - and be in a "safe" neighborhood - if anything can be considered safe these days.

How safe, you say? The ad-hoc committee for crime in KC says that the Northeast (an old Italian neighborhood, BTW) is one of the safest, if not THE safest neighborhood in the entire KC metro area, contrary to popular belief. One drawback to the area, is that there is still some Section-8 housing and a lot of immigrants are "bequeathed" on the area. As immigrants, mostly from 3rd world countries, they are not familiar with our customs concerning trash disposal and other things, but several organizations work with them to Americanize, i.e., train them as to how to correctly dispose of trash, etc. (Can't throw it directly out of your window for instance!) However, I have never been afraid to move around in this neighborhood freely at anytime of the day or night and I raised 3 children here. And that was when the projects were really the projects and the crack-****** were living next door, literally. And it's way, WAY better now!

So, if you love old homes, read: solid and loaded with character, and you like some "character", read: ethnicity, in your neighborhood - the Pendleton Heights district is as safe as any. That is the area that UHS is situated in, and it's all part of what is called "The Old Northeast."

Also, the KC city fathers - and mothers - are working very hard to revitalize the urban core, and there are some very, VERY beautiful townhomes, condominiums, lofts and apartment buildings in the downtown area; very reasonable and not 10 minutes from UHS in heavy traffic. UHS itself is happy to work with students to find affordable living close by, is my understanding, because as I said, they are very committed to the neighborhood. They could have moved out of the area and chose not too, for that reason.

Now, the only drawback to not living close by the school that I can see is the KCMO school district, so if you have children and plan to have them in a public school, you will be wise to move to Blue Springs, Lee's Summit, Liberty or Parkville. Not quite as good, but adequate, is the North Kansas City school district just north of the river, if you want to be a little closer. I homeschooled my children so that was never an issue for me.

As a long-time KC and Old Northeast resident, I may be a bit prejudiced, but I know for a fact that people's fears concerning this area are very much unfounded, whether they are from the KC metro area, or not. The true ghetto area has been deflected much further south and is not even close. The Old Northeast is a beautiful neighborhood, but colorful, and, well, I can't help it but I just like colorful. I do get a little irritated with the immigrants who can drive, but can't read English, but I get really bored really fast in the 'burbs.

Oh, I forgot, but there are other old neighborhoods just a bit further south of downtown and west of "the ghetto" in the Longfellow, Hyde Park, Union Hill and Westport neighborhoods, as well as the West Plaza area. The Plaza is probably too expensive for the average med student but all the other areas have affordable housing. The main thing is that once you get south of the city, in KC itself, you want to be as far west of Troost as you can manage. There are about 10 blocks between Troost and Paseo, which is where the ghetto starts from about 23rd street on down. So anything west of Troost is O.K. if you're in Hyde Park - which again has many beautifully restored mansions if you like that atmosphere! However, the Westport area, although popular, is probably NOT the safest option, just because it is so popular and congested - lots of bars and drunks, etc. - although I lived there for 18 months without incident.

Sorry this is so long-winded, but I've been meaning to post for awhile and have just been too busy. I wanted to let people know that might be interested that the suburbs are not the only safe and affordable option in KC.

Catherine Anderson
UHS 2006 (I hope! I hope! I hope!)

My husband and I are looking at houses in the K.C. area. Does anyone know about east K.C. area, close to Independence and Raytown? We have no children (except 3 dogs), so schools are not an issue, but we are concered about crime and resale value. We are looking to purchase in the $100-125 range. Where are other new students planning on living?

UHSKAT,
I'm not to keen on the Raytown thing. Just my opinion. I've got a friend who lives on I-435 up north and he bought a what I think is a real nice house for 130K. Overland Park has the best resale value hands down. Either one of those places has about a 20-40 min drive in traffic though. Mission KS is nice. About 10-15 min from school. If you can find a good buy north of the Missouri river on or around I-35 that might be worth checking out.

Hope,
I'm not positive where most students live, but I'm pretty sure they live in apartment complexes north of the river. They have enough Apts up there to house half the city it seems like.
Mark

To anyone who is interested:

I just rented a 2-br flat in a $200,000 home. It is huge and beautiful. Right next to beautiful, exquisitely kept old mansions on a tree-lined boulevard....less than 5 minutes from UHS during rush hour.

The downstairs is available and the landlord is willing to rent to UHS students. The downstairs is a 4-Br, 2-Ba with a basement that I believe has a bathroom and the landlady would be willing to make it into a 5th bedroom. This place is BEAUTIFUL!! The bedrooms are spacious, as is the living room/dining room/kitchen, and it has a gorgeous, huge fireplace. It is a bargain for 4-5 students that would like to split the $1595/mo rent, and as I said, it is &lt;5 minutes from UHS.

Oh, you might have to pass an area that has some apartments where immigrants live, and you might see an occasional "streetwalker" on the avenue in front of the school, (not nearly as often as Manhattan and Sunset Blvd, but they are no threat to anyone's safety but their own, and the city is working hard to eliminate that activity altogether.) But you will see that no matter where you come in from, so you might as well get used to it. (And UHS operates a clinic for the immigrants and others in the area that might need it.)

Also, keep in mind that the times of travel that have been mentioned from the suburbs is the time it takes to get there when it is not rush-hour. No matter where you live outside of the city, plan to spend AT LEAST 30 minutes in travel each way - and that's on a good day. That's at least 1 less hour that can be devoted to study per day the way I see it!

If anyone is interested, the lady's name is Sarina Hodges, phone: 816-231-4222, cell: 816-365-4884. If only one or two people online here are interested, you might be able to call UHS and see if they have other students coming in that would want a living arrangement like this that is close-in and safe. Also, this lady has a couple of very nice 4-plexes about a block away that already have UHS students living in it.

With all the misconception about the area that is prevalent here, you really do have to see it to believe how beautiful, clean, nice, etc. it is, but don't be afraid to check it out. And of course I would be thrilled to be living upstairs from students going to my 1st choice med school! ;)

Mark,

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to answer questions.

I'm wondering how are schedules are structured with lectures, labs and clinicals? Do we chose the schedules, or are they set for us by the school? Also, when are they given to us? In undergrad I mostly knew my schedule by now and am curious how medical school scheduling operates.

And about free time, did you have any on the weekends? I heard last year you had a "quiz" every Monday. Will that change? I'm hoping to catch a few Cheifs games!

What other information should we expect from UHS in the next six weeks? Also, from financial aid, did you ever get the money? I'm still waiting for promisary notes and approval notifications from the financial aid office!

Forgive me if you have answered these questions, but I was unable to locate the answers in the information listed on this topic.

Mostly, I want to know what a typical day/week is like for a first year student at UHS.

Thanks.

Kristina

Kristina,
No problem that is what I'm here for.
Okay, The schedule will most likely be given to you on the first day of orientation. As a rule of thumb, lectures are in the morning and labs are in the afternoon. The schedule that they give you will be for the first six weeks of classes, called Foundations of Medicine. I'm not sure what day your "quizzes" will be on, but it probably won't be Mon. We have ours on Monday and the study rooms are going to be hot commodity, so your quizzes will be on a different day. Financial Aid is sometimes rough your first year. I didn't get mine until mid sept. However, I was one of the later ones to receive aid. If you are really wanting to know, call the financial aid office and ask on your statis. I'm not sure what you'll be getting in the next month, and most of the critical stuff has been sent out. Of coarse, expect your stuff from financial aid. During school, you will get an e-mail from the office of financial aid to come pick up your check. The school deducts your tuition and you get the rest.
A typical day for a student at UHS is for the most part long. You are divided up into four seperate groups: A,B,C,D. These groups are decided on by what your last name is. You only use these groups during your lab sessions. Some labs, like pathology, run one lab group at a time, but others, like anatomy, use either A&B or C&D. That means that there are some times in the afternoons that you don't have class. For example, A&B could have anatomy lab from 1-3 then be off the rest of the day; whereas,C&D come in at 3:30 to 5:30 and do nothing from 1-3. My typical week is probably not normal, but here it is. I take Mon and Tues off start studying Wed-Sat in-depth and quick review on Sun. For test week I study whenever possible. As for weekends, it is whatever you can do. I know some that have a good time every weekend. I do something with my family every Sat unless it's test week. Hope this helps, and Good Luck to you.
See ya in Aug,
Mark McNemar

Hey Mark,
How's it going? I have a question for you that is not related to medical school. Since I will be a Missouri in August, how soon do I need to register my car so I can get those "Show Me State" plates? Do I even need to have them since I will be just a full time student there? Thanks for your help.

Hey CLASSOF2005,

I have some very recent experience in this matter!!

According to the county tax assessor, you are required to change the registration on your car within 30 days. Also, you are supposed to change your drivers licence within the same time frame.

I approached the tax office in an attempt to get a waiver of personal property tax since I'm a student, only here temporarily, and maintain my permanent residence in Texas. I was told in no uncertain terms that I was required to make the change in registration immediately since I have lived here for a year.

This all came about when my wife bought a new car. Sales tax is higher here in MO and there is also an annual personal property tax here in MO that Texas doesn't have. So, I register our vehicles in Texas because Texas recognizes that I am only here temporarily to go to school. Mo on the other hand, only recognizes military personel as temp residents and allows them (military) to maintain vehicle registration and drivers license in their home state.

We'll see how all this plays out next year when personal property tax bills go out!!

If you chose to keep your registration and license in your home state, be careful if you get pulled over for a moving violation and the officer asks if the address on your license is correct!!!

Welcome to UHS, I look forward to meeting you and the rest of your class.

PS - Mark, I hope you didn't mind me jumping in on this one, but its been a point of contention between the tax ass. and myself for the last week.

Eric J
UHS2004

Hey, no prob.
Eric is right. I used to be a police officer and if you say no to the correct address question that brings up a barrage of other questions and probably a citation. Personally, I didn't change my registration. Change your address with the post office, and wait for a more perm. address to change your DL and tags. Just my opinion but do what's best for you.
Mark