New use for PharmD degree

Started by Hope1974
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hope1974

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lost my job 2 months ago in South Florida. Maybe because I'm not Cuban. Anyway, I quickly picked up a temporary sub job teaching Chemistry in the inner city. So, I'm back to square one. I left teaching for pharmacy.

So, here's one way to use your PharmD. degree even though you might take an 80% pay cut.

And, I know a pharmacist who has to pay $2000 dollars a month for child support and alimony, and is without a job. He lost his retirement money and two homes to his ex-wife. Now he is homeless, the state of Florida has suspended his drivers license because he owes about 20k in back pay for child support. But, for him to go to the judge to get his drivers license back, he was told by a lawyer to find studies saying that the pharmacy market is bad. And, has to bring an expert in the field to testify that the pharmacy market is really bad.

Maybe we should all petition Obama to issue an executive order to allow pharmacists to cross state lines to work as pharmacists. Because nowadays it seems like you need to be licensed in all 50 states to find a job. And, that would cost you at least 13k a year to renew all the time.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
qm.gif
 
I've had 2 recruiting calls in the last week or so.

ETA: one hospital 7 on/off and one DOP.
 
Spacecowgirl, where do you live? Not all of us can pick up and move, we have mortgages, family, etc. I must have applied to at least 50 pharmacies. And you know it's bad when you can't even get a job at Walgreens where they want you to travel so far they will pay for your hotel. How are you supposed to see your family?
 
Usted necesita aprender español.


Oye, yo puedo hablar espanol tambien choochee. Y puedo tambien hablar Aleman. Tres idiomas, y tu? But, thats not the point. No matter how well I speak it, I'm still not latin.
 
Spacecowgirl, where do you live? Not all of us can pick up and move, we have mortgages, family, etc. I must have applied to at least 50 pharmacies. And you know it's bad when you can't even get a job at Walgreens where they want you to travel so far they will pay for your hotel. How are you supposed to see your family?

Am ready ta pack up and go. Which state are you in space? I'm looking at Texas.
 
Am ready ta pack up and go. Which state are you in space? I'm looking at Texas.

Texas and California are probably the 2 worse choices for moving to find a pharmacy job. Combined, those two states have about 15 pharmacy schools and a few more schools popping up in the near future. Good luck.
 
Lost my job 2 months ago in South Florida. Maybe because I'm not Cuban. Anyway, I quickly picked up a temporary sub job teaching Chemistry in the inner city. So, I'm back to square one. I left teaching for pharmacy.

So, here's one way to use your PharmD. degree even though you might take an 80% pay cut.

And, I know a pharmacist who has to pay $2000 dollars a month for child support and alimony, and is without a job. He lost his retirement money and two homes to his ex-wife. Now he is homeless, the state of Florida has suspended his drivers license because he owes about 20k in back pay for child support. But, for him to go to the judge to get his drivers license back, he was told by a lawyer to find studies saying that the pharmacy market is bad. And, has to bring an expert in the field to testify that the pharmacy market is really bad.

Maybe we should all petition Obama to issue an executive order to allow pharmacists to cross state lines to work as pharmacists. Because nowadays it seems like you need to be licensed in all 50 states to find a job. And, that would cost you at least 13k a year to renew all the time.

I've heard that they can take away your pharmacy license too if you don't pay child support. 😱
 
I've heard that they can take away your pharmacy license too if you don't pay child support. 😱

How are you going to pay child support if you don't have a license and a source of income.
IF it is true. LOL! There is no logic behind it.
 
Oye, yo puedo hablar espanol tambien choochee. Y puedo tambien hablar Aleman. Tres idiomas, y tu? But, thats not the point. No matter how well I speak it, I'm still not latin.

¡Muy bien Hope! Lo siento que usted perdió su trabajo. Para mí, yo sólo hablo inglés y un poco de español. Pero continuaré aprender más español.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How are you going to pay child support if you don't have a license and a source of income.
IF it is true. LOL! There is no logic behind it.

In Illinois, it is true. If someone is delinquent in child support, they can get all their licenses pulled--including professional & driving. I totally agree with you, that "punishment", makes it next to impossible that the person would be able to get a job and pay child support.

Edited to add: it's even on the technician & pharmacist renewals (and I assume all professional renewals), a question "are you current in child support payment", if you answer no, your license won't be renewed.
 
I've heard that they can take away your pharmacy license too if you don't pay child support. 😱

Illinois does that to anyone with a professional license if they get more than 30 days in arrears and can't prove hardship.
 
How are you going to pay child support if you don't have a license and a source of income.
IF it is true. LOL! There is no logic behind it.

The child support part isnt me, its a friend. And, trust me, it's no laughing matter. It's very sad.
 
No, but the spanish is. And, knowledge of another language makes it much easier to pick up others. Like Creole which is also spoken down here.

Not for me. My third and fourth languages were much harder for me to learn. I found myself mixing up sentence structures and using words from one language when trying to speak another. This really only applies to speaking them, though. I can read them without too much difficulty.
 
I'm not sure where the jobs were because I'm not looking. The recruiters always seem to have openings all over, so they claim. There are some good clinical jobs M-F day shift open in my area though. But they are not entry level, they are not retail. I have a family and a mortgage too. If I lost my job, we'd have to move. my department keeps growing though so I'm hopeful that won't happen.
 
Last edited:
It's the one in the ghetto isn't it :meanie:

If it's in south phoenix, you don't want to go there unless you're a hoodrat or can "kick it" with hoodrats.

Can I wear my Flava Flav Chain instead of that new blue and white Walgreens tie?

I'm in.
 
Lost my job 2 months ago in South Florida. Maybe because I'm not Cuban. Anyway, I quickly picked up a temporary sub job teaching Chemistry in the inner city. So, I'm back to square one. I left teaching for pharmacy.

So, here's one way to use your PharmD. degree even though you might take an 80% pay cut.

And, I know a pharmacist who has to pay $2000 dollars a month for child support and alimony, and is without a job. He lost his retirement money and two homes to his ex-wife. Now he is homeless, the state of Florida has suspended his drivers license because he owes about 20k in back pay for child support. But, for him to go to the judge to get his drivers license back, he was told by a lawyer to find studies saying that the pharmacy market is bad. And, has to bring an expert in the field to testify that the pharmacy market is really bad.

Maybe we should all petition Obama to issue an executive order to allow pharmacists to cross state lines to work as pharmacists. Because nowadays it seems like you need to be licensed in all 50 states to find a job. And, that would cost you at least 13k a year to renew all the time.

Dear Hope1974,

I really like your idea about the peition. Would you be able to start it? If you do, I am sure there will be many members out there to support you including myself
 
Lost my job 2 months ago in South Florida. Maybe because I'm not Cuban. Anyway, I quickly picked up a temporary sub job teaching Chemistry in the inner city. So, I'm back to square one. I left teaching for pharmacy.

So, here's one way to use your PharmD. degree even though you might take an 80% pay cut.

And, I know a pharmacist who has to pay $2000 dollars a month for child support and alimony, and is without a job. He lost his retirement money and two homes to his ex-wife. Now he is homeless, the state of Florida has suspended his drivers license because he owes about 20k in back pay for child support. But, for him to go to the judge to get his drivers license back, he was told by a lawyer to find studies saying that the pharmacy market is bad. And, has to bring an expert in the field to testify that the pharmacy market is really bad.

And what's the lesson?

Do not marry someone unless they are your financial equal and under no circumstances ever have children. This happens every day to countless people. Debtors prisons used to be illegal. Not now. Lose your job? Can't pay "child" (it's really ex-spouse support because no receipts are required to show the money is spent on children) support? Contempt of court. Go to jail. Do not pass go.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad