New Uses for a Short White Coat...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gut Shot

20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Havarti666 said:
Anybody else got any bright ideas?
Congrats on finishing up the clinical crap.

For the destruction of short white coats...maybe at next year's USCAP meeting (if we end up going), we can have a bonfire.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was considering having my closest classmates put their autographs on mine, then tucking it away in a box full of other miscellaneous sentimental crap. Or I could rip the patch off, save that, and burn the white coat. I married into a family of pyromaniacs, so I'll probably end up doing the latter at my in-laws' BBQ after graduation.

Those headed to MGH can't participate in the bonfire. :smuggrin:

4 more days of patient care!

You could write your ROL on it, take a pic, and POST THAT SUCKA!!! :laugh:
I just noticed you haven't posted yet...you and deschutes are holdin' out like virgins 'til their wedding night :D

I'm just f#&%in' with ya!!

I finished my last clinical rotaiton on the 25th and I am done! :laugh: I think I might just jump up and down on mine for a while. After all the stupid think cost my $150,000 :eek:

doc4nsix said:
I just noticed you haven't posted yet...you and deschutes are holdin' out like virgins 'til their wedding night :D

I took a **** on mine, took a pic of it, and posted that "sucka" on www.ratemypoo.com :D

doc4nsix said:

Mine looked kinda like this (I left off my home program). The reason I say "kinda" is because I couples matched, and between my 13 programs and her 12 programs, with 181 combinations, it became rather complicated. Here was the most common theme in terms of how my programs were ordered:

1. UTSW
2. Baylor-Houston
3. Emory
4. Oregon
5. UNC
6. Vanderbilt
7. New Mexico
8. UT-Houston
9. UCSF
10. Wash U
11. UC-Davis
12. UCLA

doc4nsix said:

Wait, on second though, were you even f#&%in' talking to me, motherf#&%er? I'll flip ya. I flip ya for real...

I'm torn between burning my MRSA, VRE-infested coat or bleaching it and saving it for posterity :confused:. I have six more weeks of clinicals to go though before I make my decision.

Havarti666 said:
Wait, on second though, were you even f#&%in' talking to me, motherf#&%er? I'll flip ya. I flip ya for real...

yeah, i was talking to you....hope you guys get your #1 :luck:

My white coat met an ignominious end when I simply tossed it in the dumpster when cleaning my apartment in massachusetts before I moved out here. I thought about saving it and giving it a major going away party but in the end I decided it probably just deserved to be dumped in the trash with the rotten milk and old newspapers. See ya later, white coat!

Members don't see this ad :)
yaah said:
My white coat met an ignominious end when I simply tossed it in the dumpster when cleaning my apartment in massachusetts before I moved out here. I thought about saving it and giving it a major going away party but in the end I decided it probably just deserved to be dumped in the trash with the rotten milk and old newspapers. See ya later, white coat!
nice.

short white coats suck.

AndyMilonakis said:
nice.

short white coats suck.

So do long white coats. I have gone a few months now without wearing mine. This month though I think I might actually have to wear scrubs and my white coat because the pocket space on scrubs stinks. Oh well. I guess I will look like a real doctor now. :cool:

yaah said:
So do long white coats. I have gone a few months now without wearing mine. This month though I think I might actually have to wear scrubs and my white coat because the pocket space on scrubs stinks. Oh well. I guess I will look like a real doctor now. :cool:
don't forget your stethoscope!

yaah said:
lol, yeah I might show up with my sphyngnomanometer, tongue depressor, and penlight and just do some physical exams!
ooh, and don't forget your stool guaiac cards...that GI specimen may be heme-positive!

AndyMilonakis said:
ooh, and don't forget your stool guaiac cards...that GI specimen may be heme-positive!

That would be awesome if I put that in the gross description of a colon cancer resection.

yaah said:
That would be awesome if I put that in the gross description of a colon cancer resection.
dude, you know the GI pathologist would cream all over that!

Did you know that in the autopsy template dictation there is a section about "palpable masses" and "palpable lymph nodes"? Who cares!?!? Once you get them open you can see for yourself!

yaah said:
Did you know that in the autopsy template dictation there is a section about "palpable masses" and "palpable lymph nodes"? Who cares!?!? Once you get them open you can see for yourself!
no i didn't know that.

AndyMilonakis said:
no i didn't know that.

Well now you do. I ignore certain things in the template, like "No stones are palpable in the gallbladder or biliary tree." No spit they aren't palpable! I dissected the thing and I didn't see any either!

AndyMilonakis said:
nice.

short white coats suck.

Try being a 6/1" female when the books in your pockets are positioned strategically over your iliac spines so they poke out about 2 feet. REAL attractive.

AnnaLee said:
Try being a 6/1" female when the books in your pockets are positioned strategically over your iliac spines so they poke out about 2 feet. REAL attractive.
well there's an easy solution to that. just get rid of your pocket books. i found that i never used them and half way through 3rd year, i stopped carrying pocket books. plus, they made me look even fatter than i already am :laugh: . eventually, all i had on my possession were maxwell cards and a stethoscope, both which i have conveniently pawned off to my roommate :)

AndyMilonakis said:
well there's an easy solution to that. just get rid of your pocket books. i found that i never used them and half way through 3rd year, i stopped carrying pocket books. plus, they made me look even fatter than i already am :laugh: . eventually, all i had on my possession were maxwell cards and a stethoscope, both which i have conveniently pawned off to my roommate :)

good idea... I do love the psych people for giving us a reprieve. I can't wait to get rid of the stethoscope. How much longer do I have to pretend I can hear that murmur they're talking about?

AnnaLee said:
good idea... I do love the psych people for giving us a reprieve. I can't wait to get rid of the stethoscope. How much longer do I have to pretend I can hear that murmur they're talking about?
if you're done with internal medicine, then no more pretending is necessary. now, if you do your sub-I in medicine, then maybe you might need to do more pretending to impress the attending. but at that point, it doesn't matter since your 4th year grades don't matter. furthermore, even if there is a point of contention regarding a newly discovered murmur, you'll be ordering an 2D echo on your patient anyway...so it don't matter. :laugh:

AndyMilonakis said:
if you're done with internal medicine, then no more pretending is necessary. now, if you do your sub-I in medicine, then maybe you might need to do more pretending to impress the attending. but at that point, it doesn't matter since your 4th year grades don't matter. furthermore, even if there is a point of contention regarding a newly discovered murmur, you'll be ordering an 2D echo on your patient anyway...so it don't matter. :laugh:

I love it. No sub-I for me! I've signed up for heme/onc and an ID rotation in Australia (fingers crossed), so I may have to at least wear it around my neck for a couple more months, you know, to look cool. Oh yeah, any other suggestions for good 4th yr electives?

AnnaLee said:
I love it. No sub-I for me! I've signed up for heme/onc and an ID rotation in Australia (fingers crossed), so I may have to at least wear it around my neck for a couple more months, you know, to look cool. Oh yeah, any other suggestions for good 4th yr electives?

Pathology
Radiology
Anesthesiology (at my school, this rotation is a joke)
Any independent study courses (such as pharm indep study)
Forensic Psychiatry (apparently, the king of joke courses here)

Some people may tell you, "but 4th year is important to explore areas of medicine that you'll never have the chance to see." To that I say, "Fooey!" Why? Cuz in due time you're gonna forget it all anyway.

AndyMilonakis said:
Pathology
Pathology
Pathology
Pathology
Radiology
Anesthesiology (at my school, this rotation is a joke)
Any independent study courses

Some people may tell you, "but 4th year is important to explore areas of medicine that you'll never have the chance to see." To that I say, "Fooey!" Why? Cuz in due time you're gonna forget it all anyway.

I wish! We can only take up to two months of any subject. I was actually just trying to justify taking 2 weeks of EKG reading.

AnnaLee said:
I wish! We can only take up to two months of any subject. I was actually just trying to justify taking 2 weeks of EKG reading.
Yep same here...hence my sarcasm with Pathology being repeated. Actually, pathology is a joke if you're not going into pathology since they let you do whatever. On our med school class of 2005 forum, there was one guy who was saying that he only went in like 4 days during the whole rotation. The pathology rotation can actually be a lot of fun if you're interested in it.

Anyways, I would consult the 4th years in your school to see what are some good fluff rotations to do during interview season so that you can reserve your vacations months until later in the year (near graduation time). If your school has a forum, that would be great medium through which to get the answers you seek.

AndyMilonakis said:
Anyways, I would consult the 4th years in your school to see what are some good fluff rotations to do during interview season so that you can reserve your vacations months until later in the year (near graduation time). If your school has a forum, that would be great medium through which to get the answers you seek.
Vacation months? What vacation months? Bah humbug! What's this about people doing sub-i's in reproductive endocrinology and taking vacation during fourth year???

They work us like dogs here, dogs I say!

cytoborg said:
Vacation months? What vacation months? Bah humbug! What's this about people doing sub-i's in reproductive endocrinology and taking vacation during fourth year???

They work us like dogs here, dogs I say!
Heh, I never said your school was cool. ;)

Seriously, you don't get ANY vacation months during 4th year? Shoot and I thought my school sucked donkey balls. We actually get two vacation months.

AndyMilonakis said:
Heh, I never said your school was cool. ;)

Seriously, you don't get ANY vacation months during 4th year? Shoot and I thought my school sucked donkey balls. We actually get two vacation months.
Well, it sorta depends. If you work it just right, you might get one month. Most of us don't.

However my school is by no means the most hardcore 4th year I've heard of. During my medicine sub-i, I had the displeasure of encountering a med-peds intern with a giant chip on her shoulder who kept passive aggressively snapping/boasting about all the 4th year requirements at her school, which I do believe was a certain northern-Midwestern school. Two sub-i's and an ICU requirement. My podunk U only requires the ICU and one sub-i...so she sure showed me. :rolleyes:

cytoborg said:
Well, it sorta depends. If you work it just right, you might get one month. Most of us don't.

However my school is by no means the most hardcore 4th year I've heard of. During my medicine sub-i, I had the displeasure of encountering a med-peds intern with a giant chip on her shoulder who kept passive aggressively snapping/boasting about all the 4th year requirements at her school, which I do believe was a certain northern-Midwestern school. Two sub-i's and an ICU requirement. My podunk U only requires the ICU and one sub-i...so she sure showed me. :rolleyes:
Dude, I totally know who you're talking about! She's really really REALLY talkative right? And she talks like she's on speed right? Dude, I wonder if she ever found out that we called her Millhouse.

anyways...the 2 subI + ICU requirement did not translate to 3 months total. for instance, one subI could be in general medicine whereas the other subI could be a CCU month. in the latter month, both the ICU requirement and an equivalent of one subI requirement would be fulfilled simultaneously. so in that aspect, our two schools are similar.

AndyMilonakis said:
Dude, I totally know who you're talking about! She's really really REALLY talkative right? And she talks like she's on speed right? Dude, I wonder if she ever found out that we called her Millhouse.

anyways...the 2 subI + ICU requirement did not translate to 3 months total. for instance, one subI could be in general medicine whether the other subI could be a CCU month. in the latter month, both the ICU requirement and an equivalent of one subI requirement would be fulfilled simultaneously. so in that aspect, our two schools are similar.
:laugh: I knew it had to be something like that.
I'm PMing you.

I just realized I used the term "hardcore 4th yr." :laugh:

I just read your PM and laughed hysterically. I showed your PM to a few lab members here who have "fond" memories of that girl. OMFG!

Anyways, I PM'd you back with a story about how she would come by our lab and just annoy the F*CK outta us.

AndyMilonakis said:
I just read your PM and laughed hysterically. I showed your PM to a few lab members here who have "fond" memories of that girl. OMFG!

Anyways, I PM'd you back with a story about how she would come by our lab and just annoy the F*CK outta us.
Glad I could provide y'all with a little entertainment. ;)

short white coat = worlds most expensive toilet paper

cytoborg said:
Glad I could provide y'all with a little entertainment. ;)
Anyways, I'm sure that's her name dude. I know she matched where you are last year.

AndyMilonakis said:
Anyways, I'm sure that's her name dude. I know she matched where you are last year.
Too funny. Small world, ain't it?

cytoborg said:
Too funny. Small world, ain't it?
You know, I remember when she was a med student and would come into our lab to talk to her friend here. She would bitch about the treatment she got as a med student. And now, I wonder how she treats med students now that she is an intern there.

AndyMilonakis said:
You know, I remember when she was a med student and would come into our lab to talk to her friend here. She would bitch about the treatment she got as a med student. And now, I wonder how she treats med students now that she is an intern there.

There are so many people like this - they fail to remember when they were a med student and how they enjoyed when someone took time out to teach them, didn't berate them, etc. It's frankly very pathetic.

yaah said:
There are so many people like this - they fail to remember when they were a med student and how they enjoyed when someone took time out to teach them, didn't berate them, etc. It's frankly very pathetic.
and it is unfortunate that cytoborg had to run across this individual. she is very short with people.

yaah said:
While I didn't have the opportunity to be this intern's biotch I mean med student, I've had enough bad experiences with other interns to cement my resolve to be humane to my medical students and try to teach them something (something that does not involve photocopies or drycleaning).

cytoborg said:
While I didn't have the opportunity to be this intern's biotch I mean med student, I've had enough bad experiences with other interns to cement my resolve to be humane to my medical students and try to teach them something (something that does not involve photocopies or drycleaning).
Dude, when a student comes to do a path rotation, I'm sending him/her home everyday by noon! (unless he/she are either interested in learning something...and i'm not talking about the fake interested secondary about grading paranoia....or if he/she is going into pathology).

AndyMilonakis said:
Dude, when a student comes to do a path rotation, I'm sending him/her home everyday by noon! (unless he/she are either interested in learning something...and i'm not talking about the fake interested secondary about grading paranoia....or if he/she is going into pathology).
My path residents were awesome. They let me pretty much decide how involved I wanted to be, and then were up for teaching and showing me whatever I wanted to know. :thumbup:

yaah said:
In my experience, it's not that people don't remember what it was like when they were there. They usually just don't care. I think that people's true colors generally tend to show through in 2 kinds of situations: 1) when they are given some degree of power 2) when they have diminished accountability. Even under pressure, kind and well-meaning people will show themselves as such, and so will jerks.