New vet school - Calgary 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

electric

Smutty Goodness
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:D Hi there! Just wanted to spread some good news for any other Alberta pre-vet med students.

U of Calgary is opening a new vet school in 2006. Like the medical program there, the program will be accelerated so you go to school almost year round for 3 years instead of for 4 years regular. I'm getting the impression that the school will primarily specailize in large food animals, with an option to take another year at either Saskatoon or Edmonton for any horse, small animal, ect.

Most of the stuff I've read about it seems to indicate that they want to primiarly be concerned with food saftey and inter-species disease since West Nile and BSM have been big in the news.

I'm not sure if this helps anybody (other than me, yay!), but good to know. Oh, and the class size looks to be aprox 30 students.

Members don't see this ad.

WOW, that's extremely exciting! Vets here are always talking about how we need a new vet school in the west. Do you know if they will accept applications from out of province applicants (ie. me, from BC)? I'm also excited that they'll be compressing everything into three years.

I'm not sure if they are looking for applicants outside of Alberta. I'm guessing not, just because of the size of the class.