New vet schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What about LIU is looking shady? I admit, I don't really read the individual school threads anymore.
TLDR it looks like it’s basically a money grab to save a failing school. Super expensive school (iirc one of the most expensive), no teaching hospital to justify that price, ****ty falling apart dorms which if you don’t want to stay in good luck finding cheap housing in manhattan, and a bunch more ****.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Oh boy, here I go opening this thread back up...

For anyone who wants to learn more about LIU or are considering attending/applying to this school, please read this.

Just thought I'd write here as someone who dug deeper into LIU. I really hoped that this school was set up for success as it is close to where I live, but the more I learn about it, the more doubt I feel about the school. Let me know your thoughts or if you have anything else to add on. I tried to make this opinion as neutral as possible, but as you read on, I'm sure you can get the hint what my overall feelings are about the school... and I tried really hard to get excited for it, too. A lot of this information, I'm sure are repeats from what other people have mentioned.

Cost: Tuition is insane. $55,000/year in tuition is insanely high for a vet school with no infrastructure such as dedicated classrooms or a teaching hospital. I don't exactly understand where all that money is going to. That cost is the same whether you are instate or out of state. At least well established schools can justify it by citing costs to keep their facilities up and running for the students, but the vet school literally have no facilities dedicated for vet students (I will get more into this later). Not to mention, Long Island in general is very expensive to live in and that part of Long Island specifically is known as one of the richest areas of Long Island. Want to try to offset that cost by living in on-campus housing? I'll get to that later, too, and why it seems not much better for different reasons. The total cost of attendance for this school is projected at nearly $85,000/year, not including any compounded interest. This poor vet students are going to graduate with nearly $400,000 of medical school debt. I'm flabbergasted at this especially since the school was saying how it recognizes the high veterinary medical school debt as an issue for doctors today, but are doing nothing to actually help with this issue. (There are also currently no scholarships offered because the bottom line is that the school is in financial trouble (more on this later, too) and in a lot of ways, the opening of the vet school during their current institutional climate seems like a last ditch effort for funds.)

Infrastructure: LIU literally has no dedicated buildings for the vet school. They have no dedicated classrooms and no teaching hospital for clinical rotations. Their augural class starting up in August will have classrooms held in the undergraduate life sciences building. Normally, this may not be a big deal as sometimes there just is not enough space, except that they said there will be a new facility/building built for the vet school and they haven't even started building it yet. Someone visited the campus and tried to get a tour of the school in February and was told by the school that they cannot offer a tour because there is nothing to show because they haven't built anything yet. It is now almost April. Classes are scheduled to start in five months. If they can somehow build a new building and have it functional by August, I will be shocked. I mean, for the sake of their students, I hope they can accomplish that, but it is highly doubtful. An article I just read today said that they have not scheduled to start construction until June... so... they are going to completely build a new infrastructure in two months? With all the pandemic craziness and aftermath that will happen (Long Island is hit pretty hard with COVID-19 right now), I don't think they will be able to make that deadline. They also bought/leased property from a town about 25 minutes away to use as space for large animal housing. Okay, great. But that also would need infrastructure to house the livestock and I just have a bad feeling about their ability to erect an entire new facility in time. Maybe not a big deal if working with live animals aren't part of the curriculum during didactics, but may also be a detriment to the student if they are not receiving hands on learning early on. The new facility they have planned for the vet school is estimated to cost $40 million. They received $12 million from New York State and say that they also received a few million in private donations. Okay, great. Except, it is rumored that they spent the $12 million grant on their undergraduate schools. So... I don't really understand where they are going to get the money for the new building.

Housing: Long Island is expensive. The part of Long Island that LIU Post is located is even more expensive. Is it as expensive as Manhattan? No. But that doesn't mean it's affordable, either. If you're going to go to school here, you might have a long commute just to get more reasonable housing. Good luck during rush hour traffic with all the commuters trying to go to New York City all at once starting from 5am - 8am and again when they are all trying to commute back to Long Island where they actually live from 5pm - 8pm. Want to look into on-campus room/board? There is literally an instagram account dedicated to all the broken buildings/infrastructure that the undergraduates are experiencing right now in the dorm rooms, classrooms, communal spaces. The common theme I've picked up is they have a giant problem with black mold, mice, flooding, poorly maintained buildings, etc. Sure, not all dorm rooms are perfect or immaculate, and I understand that, but the living conditions seem particularly subpar in their on-campus housings. The dining services seem to sometimes serve raw chicken. Oh, and there was a Norovirus outbreak at the school last year.

Application Process: I only have one word to describe it: confusing. I tried to give the benefit of the doubt that they are just trying to smooth out kinks as this is their first year except... they aren't brand spanking new and the University of Arizona had a MUCH more clear and structured process and timeline to give to their applicants. LIU did not. They are part of a university that has been able to handle admissions for a very long time for thousands of undergraduate and graduate students so I don't understand why their vet school admissions process is just so convoluting. Maybe it'll be better next year, hopefully. The guidelines and requirements to apply to the school are not clear at all. At one point the website said admissions was on a rolling basis. This is okay to do and encourages applicants to apply early to get a better chance. Except, later on in the application cycle, they completely removed that from their website and now it says decisions will be released by a certain date. Before, they said March 20th then they pushed it back to this week. Okay, again the pushing back the decisions date doesn't seem like a big deal because lots of schools did that due to COVID-19 turmoil. I will give them a pass on that, but changing admissions from rolling to non-rolling in the middle of the application cycle seems... weird? I guess this would be okay if they made it so that all decisions were released by their March date, except some applicants were invited for the online interview in February and March and were admitted a week after while some just didn't hear at all. After the first wave of acceptances, LIU again changed their admissions requirement so that some were invited for the interview and were told that they were required to take the CASPer test. There was no mention for the already admitted students that they also needed to take the CASPer test. Some were told to send in a final transcript in May before admissions makes a decision on them. Well, decisions came out yesterday and today for those who haven't heard back yet since, and some who didn't even interview got waitlisted. No rejection letters so far. Also, there are still a good chunk of people who still haven't heard back at all. I don't understand their admissions timeline or requirements at all.

LIU in general: Oh boy... so the university in general seems to be on a decline. Their undergraduate enrollment has also severely declined. A couple of years ago, they laid off a large amount of faculty members due to funding strains. During COVID-19, they laid off a good number of maintenance staff. A month ago, they announced they are going to discontinue some of their undergraduate programs due to funding. I don't get the vibe that the school is supportive of their students or will be able to provide scholarship money to help offset the student debt. I don't know what resources there will be for students and I worry that those who are going for whatever reason are not going to get the quality of education or life that other schools have offered.

Well, that was my long, winded analysis of the school. I personally found way too many red flags with the school to feel hopeful. If there are any green flags with this school, please feel free to chime in, but as is, they are very few and far in between. Maybe in the next couple of years, the school will sort itself out, but for now, I think their first class of students will face the brunt of these issues. I write this in hopes that people who are looking into applying or attending this school can prepare themselves. Take it however you want, but I hope you make the best decision for yourself.
@DVMDream from earlier on in this thread

What about LIU is looking shady? I admit, I don't really read the individual school threads anymore.

Only about half of people were required to do CASPer. Several people in the thread didnt hear from LIU prior to the April deadline. Poor communication across the board. No actual physical vet school; vet students are doing classes in the undergrad biology building.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh there was a javma article too

Reactions: 1 users
TLDR it looks like it’s basically a money grab to save a failing school. Super expensive school (iirc one of the most expensive), no teaching hospital to justify that price, ****ty falling apart dorms which if you don’t want to stay in good luck finding cheap housing in manhattan, and a bunch more ****.

Seems about what to be expected lately from the new schools.

I'd say I'm shocked but I'm not, I'd be more shocked if they did anything but be expensive, falling apart, crap program development, and no teaching hospital.

Me not at all surpised face: :meh:

Reactions: 2 users

I'd say I'm shocked but I'm not, I'd be more shocked if they did anything but be expensive, falling apart, crap program development, and no teaching hospital.

I’m just shocked they were somehow able to trick the COE into giving them reasonable assurance

Reactions: 1 user
I’m just shocked they were somehow able to trick the COE into giving them reasonable assurance

I think the COE has given up putting their foot down for anything after Western sued them. So just about any place that wants to make a vet school can, regardless of how ****ty it is.

I mean, they already posted on the LIU thread and even replied to a comment here saying that LIU was looking shady, asking about the Casper. Unsure if they really care much :bag:

After a certain point, I just assumed that people have accepted the high risk.

Only about half of people were required to do CASPer. Several people in the thread didnt hear from LIU prior to the April deadline. Poor communication across the board. No actual physical vet school; vet students are doing classes in the undergrad biology building.

On the flip side .......... you don't really need THAT MUCH that is "vet specific" for the didactic portion. A big huge cooler for anatomy, I suppose. But a biology lab is a biology lab is a biology lab, yanno? And a lecture hall is a lecture hall. Ideally you have some large animal facilities where you can stuff some horses and cows to teach people how to handle them, but..... could also arrange to do most of that off site if you really wanted. Not like I was down in the cow barn touching cows every day.

Amen. Like, why WOULD you invest in creating a solid program? Why bother?

I think the COE has given up putting their foot down for anything after Western sued them. So just about any place that wants to make a vet school can, regardless of how ****ty it is.

And amen again.

I don't know if it's that they've given up as much as ... they gave in on the teaching hospital requirement, and that was really the only thing that was a true 'gatekeeper'. With that gone, they don't really have anything else to limit new schools - it's not necessarily "easy" to meet all the other requirements, but with enough work it's pretty straightforward.

I think one school after another is realizing that there's this pool of people who want to be vets, and all these schools are realizing that with current federal loan practices where everyone gets whatever they need to attend, it's an easy money-grab. They don't give a crap about the fact that the student debt:loan issue is a thing because hey, that doesn't effect THEM.

At least, I assume so. Because even though they roll out the 'shortage of large animal vets' line with a straight face, I can't believe they actually buy that crap themselves.

It's dumb.

They don't give a crap about the fact that the student debt:loan issue is a thing because hey, that doesn't effect THEM.

This is interesting since during my interaction with LIU, they definitely knew about the high student debt load in vet school but were unwilling to do anything to help the issue as seen by their insanely high tuition.

This is interesting since during my interaction with LIU, they definitely knew about the high student debt load in vet school but were unwilling to do anything to help the issue as seen by their insanely high tuition.

My advice is this: Words are cheap. Look for action.

Lots of schools - and businesses - say they are concerned about student debt. LOTS of them. It's the 'cool thing to do' nowadays in vet med. Talk about concern about debt:income ratios, quality of life, mental health, all that stuff.... it makes it seem like you care. Some businesses are actually doing things about it. Even if they are relatively small things, at least they're putting their money where their mouth is. Some .... aren't.

UCDavis, the most expensive school to attend as an in-state student per AAVMC numbers, has a COA of $287,674. Using LIU's numbers, they have a COA around $306,864.

So what are they doing about it? Coming on the scene with a rocky start and the highest COA of any vet school in the U.S.? Yeah, nice try. Go away, come back and play when you're serious.

I wasn't kidding when I said I'd wonder about the judgment of someone who went there.

Last edited:
UCDavis, the most expensive school to attend as an in-state student per AAVMC numbers, has a COA of $287,674. Using LIU's numbers, they have a COA around $306,864.

And Davis provides a baseline financial award to every student each year that in the end comes out to equaling almost a years worth of tuition coverage. Aside from just being my instate, this was one of the reasons I decided to attend.

Another school I got into was much much more expensive and at the interview day kept talking about how how much of an issue the debt is and how they help students plan how to pay off the high debt post-school, but failed to discuss any ways they help to combat and reduce the debt load. Was kind of a turn off to the program for me.

Members don't see this ad :)

I agree with you so much. It was really jarring and off-putting to see them talk about how much they vet students need to understand ways to offset their debt and be financially smart/aware, yet they didn't have resources (or didn't care enough to have the resource) to try to offset the burden through lowering tuition or at least having reduced in-state rates.

Lots of schools - and businesses - say they are concerned about student debt. LOTS of them. It's the 'cool thing to do' nowadays in vet med. Talk about concern about debt:income ratios, quality of life, mental health, all that stuff.... it makes it seem like you care. Some businesses are actually doing things about it. Even if they are relatively small things, at least they're putting their money where their mouth is. Some .... aren't.

So what are they doing about it? Coming on the scene with a rocky start and the highest COA of any vet school in the U.S.? Yeah, nice try. Go away, come back and play when you're serious.

I wasn't kidding when I said I'd wonder about the judgment of someone who went there.

if I had a dollar for every time I heard a vet school talk about student debt being a problem as they continued to raise tuition, I could pay for my very expensive education. I really just roll my eyes now.

it blows my mind that anyone would want to go to LIU, quite honestly.

Texas Tech (if they get their letter of reasonable assurance) is going to have only Texas residents for at least the first class. I'll be interested in seeing what their tuition is.

Eh. Lol I wonder about the judgment of anyone who goes to vet school, myself included. I feel like it takes an irrational being to go forth with it. Maybe there are some that are extra special, blow through extra caution tapes, and go to this extreme. As far as how that will translate after vet school... well I suppose there are plenty of new grad mills that don’t give a ****. From there it’s sink or swim. Just like for the rest of us. Though I suspect we may end up with more sinkers... not that we don’t already have enough of that. The desperate to leave practice, hates their lives but feels stuck, etc... It’s an expensive as hell lesson. I genuinely hope it doesn’t further drive up suicide rates.

A typical vet school talking to students about how to be responsible with debt is like a room full of old white men telling women how to dress and behave appropriately to avoid rape.

Reactions: 16 users
A typical vet school talking to students about how to be responsible with debt is like a room full of old white men telling women how to dress and behave appropriately to avoid rape.

maybe the most accurate thing that’s ever been said in the history of sdn

Pss.. TTU just updated their website to include cost of attendance. $42,000 for the year for everything is not bad (like tuition, living, etc). Tuition is $22,000. Like I would take $168,000 over $320,000 any day of the week. Cost of Attendance | School of Veterinary Medicine | TTU

For a lot of students, it will be even cheaper than that. As a student, you can live off of less than 20k in Amarillo.

Reactions: 3 users
So, as a Texas resident applying this cycle, would yall recommend applying to TTU despite everything?

So, as a Texas resident applying this cycle, would yall recommend applying to TTU despite everything?

Absolutely. There hasn't been a lot of negative press about their school compared to other schools, and it doubles your chances at in state tuition.

I'd probably at least apply. I think actually attending a brand new school would make me nervous. Even being a guinea pig for curricular changes at established schools can add a whole extra layer of stress, so if I ended up with another option that was going to be close in price I'd seriously consider going elsewhere. But hard to pass up that COA. And I think applying would give you a chance to get to know the school a little bit better, and time to think through the decision.

I'd probably at least apply. I think actually attending a brand new school would make me nervous. Even being a guinea pig for curricular changes at established schools can add a whole extra layer of stress, so if I ended up with another option that was going to be close in price I'd seriously consider going elsewhere. But hard to pass up that COA. And I think applying would give you a chance to get to know the school a little bit better, and time to think through the decision.

I guess that's my fear as well, being the guinea pig for a new program lol. I do wonder about how their going to manage clinicals, and at least from what I am understanding of their course plan, it is only one semester of clinical rotations?

You're both right about COA, the in state tuition is a big deal to me and I honestly would happily sacrifice being a guinea pig to slash potential loans in half.

I guess that's my fear as well, being the guinea pig for a new program lol. I do wonder about how their going to manage clinicals, and at least from what I am understanding of their course plan, it is only one semester of clinical rotations?

You're both right about COA, the in state tuition is a big deal to me and I honestly would happily sacrifice being a guinea pig to slash potential loans in half.

It's a year of rotations. Clinical Year Curriculum | School of Veterinary Medicine | TTU

According to someone I know with close ties to this information, Rowan University in NJ is trying to start a vet school. I found a couple articles from October about it but hadn’t heard anything more until today. While I don’t love the idea of more and more schools, NJ residents have been screwed over for a long time by not having an in state school. And after contract seats went away, things have been bad.

• Sad
  • Wow
According to someone I know with close ties to this information, Rowan University in NJ is trying to start a vet school. I found a couple articles from October about it but hadn’t heard anything more until today. While I don’t love the idea of more and more schools, NJ residents have been screwed over for a long time by not having an in state school. And after contract seats went away, things have been bad.
Yep, heard the same the other night. Definitely at least a year from accepting the first class, if not more. I’m not sure about the teaching hospital question, but they are looking to purchase and renovate medical property in Vineland (good location for large animal/production caseload) to use for facilities, and Rowan does have a decent program for its medical school. I’m encouraged that it might not be TOO bad, especially if they keep it affordable and have a teaching hospital. If I wasn’t (hopefully) already on track to matriculate sooner, I’d be considering if for in-state tuition possibilities.

Interesting!! I always guessed that it would be Rutgers who would try to start a vet school in NJ. Definitely would've been nicer to have an instate option when I applied :laugh:

Interesting!! I always guessed that it would be Rutgers who would try to start a vet school in NJ. Definitely would've been nicer to have an instate option when I applied :laugh:
Yep, heard the same the other night. Definitely at least a year from accepting the first class, if not more. I’m not sure about the teaching hospital question, but they are looking to purchase and renovate medical property in Vineland (good location for large animal/production caseload) to use for facilities, and Rowan does have a decent program for its medical school. I’m encouraged that it might not be TOO bad, especially if they keep it affordable and have a teaching hospital. If I wasn’t (hopefully) already on track to matriculate sooner, I’d be considering if for in-state tuition possibilities.
In state tuition is only useful if the state is putting up the money to subsidize seats. Otherwise it'll be another ridiculously expensive vet school.

Reactions: 5 users
In state tuition is only useful if the state is putting up the money to subsidize seats. Otherwise it'll be another ridiculously expensive vet school.
True! I was thinking more of the fact that many schools prioritize seats for their instate students, so seeing those stats and knowing I had to apply OOS made me a bit more nervous during my application cycle and made me apply to a decent number of schools for "safety". Obviously just being instate wouldn't be enough to get in, but it would've given me a teeny bit more comfort during applications.

True! I was thinking more of the fact that many schools prioritize seats for their instate students, so seeing those stats and knowing I had to apply OOS made me a bit more nervous during my application cycle and made me apply to a decent number of schools for "safety". Obviously just being instate wouldn't be enough to get in, but it would've given me a teeny bit more comfort during applications.
Yeah I was also in that boat, but I still think of it as go to the cheapest school whether or not that's your IS

Yeah, being easier to get in isn't going to matter when you are looking down the barrel of $300-500k in debt.

I won't get on my soapbox about new veterinary schools, been on it before, but overall, I am heavily against it, don't care if there isn't already a vet school in that state or not. And this is coming from someone who was also in a state without a veterinary school.

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah, being easier to get in isn't going to matter when you are looking down the barrel of $300-500k in debt.

I won't get on my soapbox about new veterinary schools, been on it before, but overall, I am heavily against it, don't care if there isn't already a vet school in that state or not. And this is coming from someone who was also in a state without a veterinary school.

Sorry about the double post, SDN sucks lately--- constantly lagging, can't load, has been like that for months. Needs updating or a new server or something.

We MIGHT, POSSIBLY be in good shape on this. The contract seat program with Penn was abolished by a former Governor, but I think the current one may be more amenable to investing in educational opportunities. Of course, this is depending on whether there's considered to be enough of a need for NJ residents to have students stay in the state to practice.

But yeah, everything I said is definitely predicated on it being a cheaper option for NJ students. If that doesn't happen, Do. Not. Want.

Same, mine posted 3 times!

• Haha
If it's a situation like Texas Tech, I would be more on board. Chances of that seem low though.

In-state school isn't always a real safety option either, mine didn't want me or about 10 of my classmates :p
Oh hey ****in same!
Lmao same boat too. My instate cut me as early as they could, before interviews.
Also in this boat, except when they closed the door in my face, I just stood there waiting and knocking for long enough they finally let me in a year later :laugh:

• Haha
Also in this boat, except when they closed the door in my face, I just stood there waiting and knocking for long enough they finally let me in a year later :laugh:
See my IS no longer accepts transfers because they changed their curriculum for 22 and it’s impossible to have the curriculums match up with other schools

Texas tech is officially accepting applications from Texas & contract seats for New Mexico only. It will be a holistic process based on your want/ability to serve the rural food animal community in Texas.